IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New not just winders
Sun admins must not be complacent either we are/have developed a script that you use to tighten down a new install plus go out and check for all patches released after the install date. EG how many sun guys out there know there isx a problem with a certain clock chip which rolls the time/date arbitrarely backwards and forwards by as much as four months for minutes at a time? Sysadminning requires a daily perusal of all os related sites and tracks to keep up not just the vendors etc.
thanx,
bill
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New Not just Windows but Windows makes it harder
I wonder how many reboots it would take to install all the latest security patches?
New That one I know.
Well, to a first approximation.

Basically, each service pack or hot fix is supposed to be followed by a reboot. That means if you have 26 hot fixes to apply, you're supposed to reboot the machine 26 times! And it gets worse: you're supposed to apply multiple hot fixes all in the correct order!! Read [link|http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q296/8/61.ASP|Q296861 - Use QChain.exe to Install Multiple Hotfixes with Only One Reboot] if you don't believe me.

For comparison, HP-UX patches don't have either problem (barring a very small number which patch the kernel and this require a reboot) and not surprisingly, RedHat's patches also don't have either problem.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

MCSEIEIO - (Steve Lowe) - (4)
         Oh brother - (wharris2) - (3)
             not just winders - (boxley) - (2)
                 Not just Windows but Windows makes it harder - (wharris2) - (1)
                     That one I know. - (static)

The honey tastes sweeter when you anger the bees.
56 ms