IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Am willing to put neck on line & say Bush will go in ...
no matter what world opinion says or is and without any regard for the *apparent* harm & damage to US long term.

If I am wrong will happily eat 'umble pie & say so.

I am convinced that Bush & advisors have information (think tank analysis on what-ifs to do with Islamic resurgence & control of Mecca in Saudi) that may indicate a coming change in the balance of power within ME countries that US needs to ensure a secure supply of oil. This could be something like an Iranian & anti-US style overthrow of the aging Sauds in Saudi. As with most similar revolutions, they take about 50 or so years to go full cycle (Russian Rev took 90 to burn out).

Bush's rational would be that Iraq is vulnerable in several ways, one because it is run by a dictator that US can demonise better than any other & that contol of Iraq oil would be almost as good as Saudi oil. 2 is that if there is a shift in power in ME then Saddam could be toppled by hostile forces (hostile to US).

It is possible that the Afghanistan takeover was a learning experience in much the same was that the US invasion of Grenada was later recognised as a practice invasion of Panama so America could regain influence over the Panama Canal (canal was due to be ceeded back to Panama in 2000 - US replaced Norriega with a pro US regime). In Afghanistan the same has happened - US has a pro US regime in place & my guess is the warlords have all been given the ok to run their fiefdoms as they wish providing they support the regime.

It is a sad reality that drug production curtailed under the Taliban has now reversed & opium, sanctioned smuggling & gun-running will again become the mainstay of the warlords. Remember that US in SE Asia had no compunction about funding covert CIA ops with drug money (Air America - Hollywood even made a comedy movie about it (as despicable a policy as it was)). Drug money directed through Thailand was also used to support Khymer Rouge against Hen Sen at the very time hollywood was making 'Killing Fields" (what an irony).

So my educated guess is that Bush & advisors are acting in America's longer term interests (what ever that means) to protect US oil fueled life style & by gaining control of Iraq will buffer against an imminent loss of Saudi Arabia as a regional base for ops. Afghanistan has shown that a country can be siezed and the regime changed into one that can be controlled. US can play the warlords off against each other to keep Afghanistan from ever unifying like had started to happen under the Taliban & under an anti US leadership.

One thing that has become very clear since 9/11 is that Osama Bin Laden was no mickey mouse terrorist - this was/is a man with a highly popular pan-islamic vision & who was putting in place the mechanisms to build his Andalusian style paradise in the 'stans & SE Asia. That region would have provided him and his minions with the oil wealth needed to fund his dream. He had effective control of Afghanistan, was almost in control of Pakistan (& its nukes - some say that is where OBL is now), was fermenting revolution in Kurdistan & Tajikistan & Uzbekistan. Taking islamic control of Indonesia's 250 million population would have been a 'cake-walk' and was already starting to happen & Malaysia would have fallen to them despite Mahatir's ability to keep Islamic militancy under control. OBL was one of the few men who could have rolled the Saudi royal family & taken control of Saudi Arabia as a popular leader - few people have any liking for the aging & despotic royals who are clearly in decline.

As a long shot - If OBL was ever *able* to sieze control of Saudi Arabia, he would then have been in a position to take on his old enemy Saddam Hussien & take Iraq into his pan-islamic empire & that means Kuwait & if that had all succeeded Iran being a muslim country would have come under pressure as would Egypt, Jordan & Algeria among others. Almost back to the old domino theory that applied to SE Asia in the 1950s & begat Vietnam, only instead of communism the threat is a groundswell of islamic resurgence led by a charismatic 'holy man' (as awful as it is to US westerners, that is how many Islamic people see OBL). In the west - the 9/11 deed has allowed us to paint OBL as the devil incarnate & Bush has been able to say to the world - that evidence is overwhelmingly in favour of 9/11 being an OBL inspired deed and hey world you is either agin terrorism or for it & we (US) won't accept fence sitting.

Methinks there is a lot more behind the scenes in regard to the events before & after 9/11 and as have already said. I am willing to bet that Bush will find a way to take control of Iraq & will use what ever means he & team can.

OBL, his vision & his actions were proably the real target & 9/11 was a pre-emptive strike by OBL that may have backfired (it certainly didn't get followed by massive antagonism between Christianity & Islam that had been predicted & appeard to be being fermented as in Ambon, Indonesia & now Pakistan).

We live in interesting times & right at this instant Pakistan may be the lynch-pin.

Doug Marker

Expand Edited by dmarker Aug. 16, 2002, 11:13:22 PM EDT
Expand Edited by dmarker Aug. 16, 2002, 11:17:27 PM EDT
New Presupposing of course, that the US congress will roll over
- playing dead they've had practice at; just look at the bills they passed without even reading them - odd how quickly Ashcroft had his wish-list ready to go, in a few days. Is that efficiency or what?

Musharraf is coming under increasing pressure, as anti-US sentiment settles in for a coda - to the already established minuet required for the original US-cooperation. Nukes there, and right across their border.. and Kashmir is a great catalyst any old time.

Probably too, expect return of the body-shrouds and repeal of female participation in Afghanistan (presumably under the same old same old warlords as are adept at swapping sides in a trice). Maybe the British press will cover this - unless it occurs during Iraq attack. Ours? Hah.

Anyway, that's a pretty cynical scenario you outline.. Dubya can only truly test the irresolution and malleability of congress by some next precipitate action. And there's a mini-election coming up in Nov: already the Repo crowd is floating a hell of a smear campaign against Sen. Tom Daschle in S. Dakota; a warm-up?

Seems that, Daschle's a bit lukewarm about W's undeflected aim to make more "tax cuts" for the obscenely rich (peanuts for the merely fat - but there are more of these). This despite [those polls!] demonstrating Muricans' growing unrest about Constitutional mayhem and Corp crime - the whole mothers milk of Dubya, Cheney and their Admin handlers. (Dubya is of course deaf to the opposite advice of even Greenspan! re these 'rebates' as he was deaf to the possibility of global er warming and so much else.)

So I'd suggest that, were Dubya to move before election, there remains at least a small chance of the rest of the govt. actually functioning (!) and the loss of Repub majority in both houses. Then things could get interesting instead of merely ominous.

Meanwhile... I'll go with Sinclair Lewis's assessment of Murican tendencies and call it 50/50 [which IS terminally scary] that we'll let a Village Idiot fuck up the next 10-15 years.. or worse. For naked, blatantly transparent [oil] commodity lock-in.

But please to call it, for Murica's concern for the Freedom Loving Iraqi [Saudi? Egyptian? Iranian? Uzbek? ...] Peepul (Anyone heard from Putin lately?)

[Mahler plays at ppp interspersed with songs from Kindertotenlieder and G\ufffdtterdammerung .. at mf]

Ashton
With homo-saps it's either homogenized boring mercantile crap or - running off in all directions shooting at anything that moves.
BANG BANG BANG was it good for you too?
Me? haven't totally given up on the chance of an impeachment for actual cause, this time... if Dubya really flaunts it while blowing it
:-\ufffd
New Re: Littany of lies fed to congress
Need I ? - really ? - am sure you can do better than I can on this...

Kuwait - the socalled 'nurse' who tearfully told a shattered congress of how Iraqi troops threw Kuwaiti babies on the floor to die while stealing their humidicribs (later proven to be a bare-face lie told by the daughter of a Kuwaiti prince/diplomat & coached by US special ops people)

Ronald Reagan - on what he knew

Ollie North - on Nicaragua

etc: etc: etc: etc:

DSM
(Noam Chomsky has so much to say on this)

#1 spelling
Expand Edited by dmarker2 Aug. 17, 2002, 09:08:01 AM EDT
New Re: News in Australia over w/e is prepare for Iraq attack

The Aust govt are making it clear that they are ready to support US invasion (regime change) of Iraq.

The Prime Minister - John Howard has challenged the Labour opposition to either oppose his govt's support for US move ot to join in and support them. Consesus is that because of relationship between US and Australia, Labour will roll-over and come round to supporting the position although at the moment many Labour parlimentary back-benchers are openly opposed to US invasion.

The strength of the statements being made leave me with little doubt that Howard is preparing Australians for action to go ahead.

A big issue in Australia at the moment is a massive wheat supply deal to Iraq - just signed - on the basis that Australia tones down its rhetoric on Iraq. This makes it all the more interesting that Howard is calling Labour to account over its position on the matter.

Doug Marker

PS
(This convinces me all the more that US may be planning to take out Saddam Hussien on the basis that if they don't, there is far too great a risk that antiUS forces will do so at some near future date.

Reason Europe is so dissinterested is that many Europeans don't really care if a hostile (anti-US) regime comes to power in Iraq. Europe was never as bothered with Iranian revolution as US was. Also Russia has signed a very large multi billion dollar contract with Iraq that it doesn't want to jeopardize.

D
New I don't expect to learn of the machinations til much later
I doubt there's any way to be 'informed' about the players, for ordinary citizens. Only near-certainty I see is that, so long as [oil] and solely mercantile considerations prompt action (or opposition to actions), there just cannot be any end to current intense spin.

The world of bizness lies has now encompassed international dialogue to the extent that - I don't believe that anyone 'speaking for the players' now attempts even a slightly truthful comment. And the fact that Dubya's decision alone is likely to prevail over all the others (including all local opposition) ought to be scary-enough to galvanize action *here*.

It hasn't. Yet. Never mind web commentaries - the Corp press will continue daily local euphemisms, no matter what presses elsewhere observe. For me, it's indistinguishable from watching a scripted soap opera - it's so phony it's not even interesting to watch. The multiple 'magazines' in the Sunday paper -- are full of jingoistic feel-good pieces, including a bio by his wife, of the CIA-agent (Spann) killed in Afgh. It's Sooo treacly I'd link to it, but it isn't in the SFgate.com files. Pap. That's the norm.

Election is coming soon. That outcome just might alter the momentum - but only if there's an upset. That's the only non-soap next event I can see. I think that most Muricans are numb (more than usually) with personal and usual stuff - especially as the biznesses intensify the slashing of worker-commodities: appear lean&mean, toady to the standard Wall Street simplistic slogans as set 'price'. 90 days is the bizness definition of 'future'.

Sorry to hear of Oz capitulation; gawd knows the rationale other than sucking-up to Big Daddy, no matter who is at the helm (?)

Luck to us all,

Ashton
     The case against invading Iraq - (Silverlock) - (18)
         Reality: Israel wants the US to take out Saddam. - (a6l6e6x) - (10)
             Oh, so it has nothing to do with Bush's ... - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                 his dislike of Sharon, not Israel - (boxley) - (1)
                     Not to mention Israel's nukes. - (Brandioch)
                 Well, for one thing, I am a bit troubled by Rumsfeld's use.. - (a6l6e6x)
             Of course, the Jews rule the US and the world - (bluke) - (5)
                 OT, how do I get my check? -NT - (boxley)
                 No, that would be pure BS. - (a6l6e6x)
                 Re: Of course, the Jews rule the US and the world - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                     I sent your address to the New York Jews :) - (boxley) - (1)
                         Re: I sent your address to the New York Jews :) - (a6l6e6x)
         Their children with thank us for their freedom. - (Brandioch)
         As Gandhi replied when asked, - (Ashton)
         Re: Am willing to put neck on line & say Bush will go in ... - (dmarker) - (4)
             Presupposing of course, that the US congress will roll over - (Ashton) - (3)
                 Re: Littany of lies fed to congress - (dmarker2)
                 Re: News in Australia over w/e is prepare for Iraq attack - (dmarker2) - (1)
                     I don't expect to learn of the machinations til much later - (Ashton)

Would you not set your wheelchair for Warp Six and head for the hospital parking lot like a hunted thing just as fast as your skinny grey tires would carry you?
103 ms