IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What about...
...short read errors when booting that crap out fsck?

I have a feeling that my server's drive is about to die...but was wondering if I could just bark the 3 sectors bad and keep running?
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Curious..
Assuming you aren't formatted in Reiserfs or some other cockamamie Real File System for a real OS: could you boot to DOS (yeah That DOS) and run SpinRite on your *.nix install?

(I mean - without partition tomfoolery and some kluge simulating 'logical drives' as a temporary expedient, which I don't quite see enough to be sure: is either absurd or.. probably a lot of fakery to be done)

Reason being - while you can obviously X-out any old sectors you want to, once you know which they are: with SR you would also get a free refresh of the lo-level format, along with his magic B/H magnetic prestidigitation of every magn. domain on the disk. It could save a drive (has for me) but guessing in advance is.. er impossible.

??

Ashton
Pity ol Steve hasn't redone SR for modrin thingies.. :(
New Dunno.
The drive I was having problems with was FAT32. It was having trouble booting to it's installed Windows 98, but the BIOS was complaining about it, too. And when I booted the Linux CD, it took a full minute trying to read the partition table before it gave up as a damaged drive. Whilst SMART drives are supposed to remap bad sectors, this is not an infallible algorithm.

Wade.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

Maxtor: DriveSeekStatus Error (error=0x84) - (kmself) - (17)
         IDE or SCSI? RAID? - (deSitter) - (3)
             hda: IDE, non-RAIDEed - (kmself) - (2)
                 Any of you Help Desk Dudes Workin' This Ticket? -NT - (deSitter)
                 Well gimme some more info... - (folkert)
         heads doin the whorly bird - (boxley)
         Gota spare controller card? - (Ashton)
         That's your disk's way of saying, - (pwhysall) - (4)
             I agree. - (static) - (3)
                 What about... - (bepatient) - (2)
                     Curious.. - (Ashton)
                     Dunno. - (static)
         "DriveStatusErrorBadCRC" ??? - (CRConrad) - (5)
             Well, that depends . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                 He's the cranky CRC. ;-) -NT - (n3jja)
                 Good ... bad ... he's the one with the drive status error -NT - (drewk)
             We all know about CRC. And, it is a "good thing". :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             When one {sob} has become an Industry Standard Error - (Ashton)

Your ears are broken.
60 ms