New That's your disk's way of saying,
"I'm outta here!"

Replace it. Soon.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New I agree.
I saw a failing Matrox drive giving much the same errors yesterday. Perhaps you could find a SMART-enabled BIOS and see what it thinks about the drive. The SMART message about command failure was what clued me into the fact the drive was not only dying, but knew it was dying.

Wade.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

New What about...
...short read errors when booting that crap out fsck?

I have a feeling that my server's drive is about to die...but was wondering if I could just bark the 3 sectors bad and keep running?
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Curious..
Assuming you aren't formatted in Reiserfs or some other cockamamie Real File System for a real OS: could you boot to DOS (yeah That DOS) and run SpinRite on your *.nix install?

(I mean - without partition tomfoolery and some kluge simulating 'logical drives' as a temporary expedient, which I don't quite see enough to be sure: is either absurd or.. probably a lot of fakery to be done)

Reason being - while you can obviously X-out any old sectors you want to, once you know which they are: with SR you would also get a free refresh of the lo-level format, along with his magic B/H magnetic prestidigitation of every magn. domain on the disk. It could save a drive (has for me) but guessing in advance is.. er impossible.

??

Ashton
Pity ol Steve hasn't redone SR for modrin thingies.. :(
New Dunno.
The drive I was having problems with was FAT32. It was having trouble booting to it's installed Windows 98, but the BIOS was complaining about it, too. And when I booted the Linux CD, it took a full minute trying to read the partition table before it gave up as a damaged drive. Whilst SMART drives are supposed to remap bad sectors, this is not an infallible algorithm.

Wade.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

Maxtor: DriveSeekStatus Error (error=0x84) - (kmself) - (17)
         IDE or SCSI? RAID? - (deSitter) - (3)
             hda: IDE, non-RAIDEed - (kmself) - (2)
                 Any of you Help Desk Dudes Workin' This Ticket? -NT - (deSitter)
                 Well gimme some more info... - (folkert)
         heads doin the whorly bird - (boxley)
         Gota spare controller card? - (Ashton)
         That's your disk's way of saying, - (pwhysall) - (4)
             I agree. - (static) - (3)
                 What about... - (bepatient) - (2)
                     Curious.. - (Ashton)
                     Dunno. - (static)
         "DriveStatusErrorBadCRC" ??? - (CRConrad) - (5)
             Well, that depends . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                 He's the cranky CRC. ;-) -NT - (n3jja)
                 Good ... bad ... he's the one with the drive status error -NT - (drewk)
             We all know about CRC. And, it is a "good thing". :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             When one {sob} has become an Industry Standard Error - (Ashton)

Desperate, but not serious.
82 ms