IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Hmmm. Interesting forum software. :-)
Doesn't seem to work very well in the Links v0.96 browser, though. I can read the foruns, but it wouldn't let me log into my newly-created account. Mozilla 1.x seems to work fine, but I like using a text browser.

The error I see when (1) trying to log in or (2) when trying to reply is as follows:

Site Error
An error was encountered while publishing this resource.
Unauthorized
You are not authorized to access this resource

If anyone is interested in testing/verifying, Links is available here:

[link|http://links.sourceforge.net|http://links.sourceforge.net]
-Rich Steiner (OS/2 and Linux user in Eden Prairie, MN)
The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.
New Works fine in Lynx...
... so it's not the fact that you are using a text-based browser.

Make sure Links supports cookies and Basic Authentication.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New It's the cookie requirement.
The version of Links I was trying to use doesn't support them at all.

Guess I'll have to use Lynx, then. :-)

Out of curiosity -- why require cookies?
New IIRC, it's to keep track of preferences, what's read, etc.
New Nope. :-)
cf. below. ;-)

Tracking is all done by user ID. The cookie is used only to track authentication.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Whoops! <sheepish grin> Thanks.
New IIRC it was a bug workaround
... with the Zope authentication software. Basic Auth wasn't sticking properly for the various browser combinations for some reason, so I switched over to cookie-based.

But, all of that was a good year ago, so I don't really remember at this point. :-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

New IIRC, I had to do with URL paths.
In some versions of Netscape and/or Mozilla, successful Basic Auth on site.org/some/path/in/depth wouldn't be regarded as successful on site.org/some/path.

Wade, who doesn't know why he remembers this since it never troubled him.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

New Still think it's bloody Amazing..
the history of zIWE (s/ware wise)! I mean.. you had something not so very bare-bones within days, and the refinements came in short order. If you screwed-up anything - for more than a few hours, say: I sure missed it!

Then too, our few outages don't seem ever to have been related to any latent site bugs, but just normal changes in our host's server configs and the occasional run-in with ?? (the weird domain-name seller folks what keep tryin to offer it to someone else).

IW couldn't get it even ~ right in 3 tries.. and every new feature needed months of a battalion of authors - who seemed to randomly pick RPN / algebraic for their math. Then it was Ugly on all counts, presumably because IW didn't have a clue even about.. what to ask for?

(Gawd knows their taste was in some nether region, so maybe they got from the dev. folk Exactly what they ordered. Naaah - that wouldn't explain Inclusion!) It's lucky I don't grok this programming stuff to fullness.. or I'd prolly be even tempered: always mad.

So have we been 'lucky' along with your being competent? Or if luck wasn't needed - how's come there be so Many orgs. out there who seem unable even to know how to hire someone else who knows WTF they be Doing ?? Are there as many retards in IT as in management !? [horror]

Huh?

Ashton

who hopes that Somewhere on your resume you eventually get full Brownie Points for this hat trick :-)

hmmm: The Boring Award
..for software that's no fun because it just sits there, works and never does anything surprising. zzzzzzz

PS: Wouldn't The zIWE S/Ware Adventures make an interesting story somewhere in The Trade? Sort of on the theme: "Hows come so many folks manage to screw up every aspect of making Forums work? Here's One that didn't." Maybe it could be done w/o naming enough names as would embarrass Voices of Enterprises.
Expand Edited by Missing User 70 July 31, 2002, 03:12:07 AM EDT
New Re: Works fine in Lynx...
A 1400x1050 desktop monitor is so huge that with a framebuffer console, text browsing is realistic. I laughed out loud when I saw it doing 8x16 VGA console - stty reported a console with 176 columns and something like 67 rows 8) I recompiled so the bigget Sun console font was used from the start. The penguin is still miniscule though. This was a quantum leap beyond 1024. I use 1600 on the monitor head and this isn't a big leap over 1400. I guess the next quantum is somewhere around 1900. In a formula

1400/1024 * 1400 = 1914

-drl

PS - I want to see how small I can make an xconsole font at 1400 and have it still readable. That would be a good contest, the largest readable X-term. Collaboration between machines would be allowed. A recursive listing of / has to fit on one screen.
New Hmmm... What happened to your middle C? :-)
New Re: Hmmm... What happened to your middle C? :-)
My original account name on IWE didn't have one, actually, but I had to add the "C" later on for some reason -- I think they made some sort of tweak to the forum software that ended up orphaning my original username.

I usually don't use it. I'm usually "rsteiner", "gildor", or "prootwadl" when I'm online. :-)
     Hmmm. Interesting forum software. :-) - (rsteiner) - (11)
         Works fine in Lynx... - (admin) - (8)
             It's the cookie requirement. - (rsteiner) - (6)
                 IIRC, it's to keep track of preferences, what's read, etc. -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     Nope. :-) - (admin) - (1)
                         Whoops! <sheepish grin> Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                 IIRC it was a bug workaround - (admin) - (2)
                     IIRC, I had to do with URL paths. - (static)
                     Still think it's bloody Amazing.. - (Ashton)
             Re: Works fine in Lynx... - (deSitter)
         Hmmm... What happened to your middle C? :-) -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
             Re: Hmmm... What happened to your middle C? :-) - (rsteiner)

What a cruddy, unimaginative anti-climax.
66 ms