IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New 2km asteroid on collision course?
[link|http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/2147879.stm|Here's] a story about a fairly large asteroid on a collision course with Earth.

Don't soil your pants just yet, though; it's 15 years away and they'll certainly need more time to compute and recompute its orbit.

(On the other hand, wouldn't it be ironic if they decided it wasn't a threat, then some astronomical perturbation put it back on a collision course?)
Famous last RPG quotes: "I'll just shoot this fireball down the dungeon passageway..."
New skeet shooting
compute the orbit then a vector that will give it a good smack to veer the orbit out. Good practice for anti deathstar defence.
thanx,
bill
."Once, in the wilds of Afghanistan, I had to subsist on food and water for several weeks." W.C. Fields
New Yah, but you know how gubmint works
They'll sit around ignoring it for a dozen years, then notice all of a sudden that (a) they only have a couple of orbits to smack it, and (b) that they don't have anything with the ability to whack it or even (c) the ability to reach it to smack it even if they had the ability to smack it. *THEN* they'll get their panties in a bunch, hold hearings, blame NASA, while the thing gets closer and closer.

Fortunately, there's "only" a one in six million chance that it will actually hit us, but if it does I hope it lands right in the middle of Washington.

Expand Edited by wharris2 July 25, 2002, 05:33:27 PM EDT
New supposed to be big enough to be a continent buster
so that direct hit on DC could be problematical

A
Play I Some Music w/ Papa Andy
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
All Night Rewind 11 PM - 5 PM
Reggae, African and Caribbean Music
[link|http://wxxe.org|Tune In]
New Yep! Retarget to Jerusalem, please.
Alex

"Television: chewing gum for the eyes." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
New Break into pieces. ONE --> Redmond: Simple, innovative.
New Yeah right
got that Playstation 2 networks with over 100 15 year old boys using Playstation 2 controlers to aim lasers and missiles at that big rock. It won't stand a chance!

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
     2km asteroid on collision course? - (wharris2) - (6)
         skeet shooting - (boxley) - (5)
             Yah, but you know how gubmint works - (wharris2) - (3)
                 supposed to be big enough to be a continent buster - (andread) - (2)
                     Yep! Retarget to Jerusalem, please. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                         Break into pieces. ONE --> Redmond: Simple, innovative. -NT - (Ashton)
             Yeah right - (orion)

Just having a rest between bars...
44 ms