IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New 10 dollars in atm fees to take out cash from an out of state bank
cost nothing to deposit a check into your local bank.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New is there no part of US civil society that doesn't involve you folks getting rinsed?
Such a thing would cause riots over here.

There are non-free ATMs here, but they're those sketchy ones in the back of local convenience stores. Even then, they top out at a couple of quid a pop. If you've got a card, you go to the counter, buy a pack of gum, and get cashback instead.

If I go to a bank ATM, I get my money, it costs me nothing.
New no atm fee at the bank but the bank is 412 miles away
a local to me bank would charge $5 for an external atm card and the home bank would also charge a fiver for the privilege.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New ell oh
and indeed ell.
New If there is, it's only because someone hasn't thought of it yet
--

Drew
New That's because you have a tiny tiny country
You have a land mass 1/47th the size as the US. Each of our states supervise the state banks. But a bank can do business with someone outside the state. Banks compete with each other and offer all kinds of different stuff. Some can afford to give away that card. Others take it's fees somewhere else. The bottom line is they are competing and are supervised by different sets of rules in the case of State Banks.

Some banks have very few physical branches. Tiny little bits of technical infrastructure. They keep their overhead low and can offer cheaper loans than the other banks that invest more in their infrastructure. If they want to join in with the other infrastructure they got to pay. Which means their customers have to pay. So we have wildly varying ATM charges depending on what bank you have and what type of account you have.

I think it's all perfectly reasonable. Those that want to go through the effort to find the best deal for them and deal with their far away bank and get charged somewhere else. If it costs the rest of the system something then they get charged They save/ make a little more money and at the same time it will cost them in the hassle factor. They made the decision. It's worth the time.
New Really?
Complexity and market segmentation almost never work in favor of the consumer. When they do, it's only for the very specific consumer who already knows the system well enough to not need dozens of hours of research for each decision.
--

Drew
New Exactly
Bill figured it out and acts accordingly. There should always be a stupid person tax.
New Well that obviously makes it totally reasonable to charge $10 for a cash withdrawal
Yes, the UK is small, but everything you’ve said doesn’t have anything to do with geographical scale.

We have online-only banks.

We have banks with huge physical high-street presence.

But the bottom line is if you’ve got a current account, you can withdraw cash for free at pretty much any ATM that isn’t in the back of a corner shop.

Getting charged money just to get hold of your own money? Pfffffft.

ETA: Also we have a requirement that banks offer a free, “basic” bank account with no charges (and no features, either, but eh)

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/fee-free-basic-bank-accounts-benefit-over-41-million-customers
Expand Edited by pwhysall Jan. 3, 2024, 01:39:16 AM EST
New Mommy mommy, they're being mean to me
Yes, the mommy state is often beneficial to a significant portion of the population. And for the percentage that is annoyed by it, screw them.

We have a different country. Yes, our health care sucks. It's worth it. To some. The cornerstone of our society is some get more than others. Some get it by working for it and some get it by inheriting it.

How much do you pay for your queen each year? How much do you suffer due to your surveillance society?

I'm not sure which one is better. But I've spent enough of my life paying for the other side that even when I'm on the poor side, I appreciate it.

It's not just that you're 1/47th. You have a dramatically different starting point of goals and end results. I'm not saying we're perfect but we are dramatically different. And that difference shows up in a shitload of ways. This is one of them. Our land mass is divided by 50 states and each of those states has a specific attitude of what's appropriate for their citizens. You don't like it? Move to a different state. I did.
New "Some" is doing yeoman's work there
"Some get it by working for it and some get it by inheriting it."

By just about any metric you choose financial inequality in the US is worse than it's been since the Depression - and many measures are worse than then. It's worse than nearly anywhere else in the developed world, and it's getting worse each year. Is that really the cornerstone? If it is, it shouldn't be.

A statistically insignificant portion of total wealth comes from "working for it".
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Jan. 10, 2024, 11:53:16 PM EST
New Yeah, I'm one of them
I thought I was totally f*****. I lived my life and earned my way but then I got arrested and was incredibly poor. I doubt you understand how poor I was.

But then I got an inheritance. It took 40 years. It allowed me to buy my house. It allowed me to be in a position that I don't have to worry anymore. I still have to worry a little bit, my Airbnb better pay for the expenses but I'm not starving anymore.

So I'm one of the lucky few. Thank you Dad. It took 40 years after his death. Before I got that money I had to earn my way and pay my taxes and support everybody else in the process. So I have the perspective of being grateful that my dad was smarter than me. Or at least lived his life according to the rules and left a bit for me.

Is it wrong? Should my dad's legacy been split across other people and kept me looking for a cardboard box under a bridge? I don't know. I know I benefited from it and I'm happy for it.
New Except you didn't.
Before I got that money I had to earn my way and pay my taxes and support everybody else in the process.
Your taxes are far too low to "support everybody else in the process". That's a major part of the whole problem.

Another part is of course that others' (your corporate overlords') taxes are even more far too low, and that's an even more major part of the problem. But that doesn't invalidate the fact that your -- yes, you, personally -- taxes are (and were, for all those years) also, in all probability, far too low to come anywhere near your claim to "support everybody else".
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Oh, fucking quit it with that ridiculously BS excuse for all the ways the USA is a third-world...
...shithole country.

"We can't have sensible ATMs because the US is so fucking big!"

Well yeah, sure, you'd have to have MORE ATMs to cover the whole place. You also have a lot more people to USE them, so it evens out.

"We can't have civilised healthcare because the US is so fucking big!"

Well yeah, sure, you have a lot more sick people. You also have proportionally more doctors and nurses to take care of them, and more tax payers to pay for it. It evens out.

Almost, if not all, of those "that might work in Europe but not in the USA because it's so fucking big" excuses are just utter bullshit. Shit doesn't work over there because your corporate overlords don't want it to, and they have brainwashed the sheeple into thinking it can't.
--

Christian R. Conrad

New Ehh, see above
All 5.5 million of you. The size of a small city here. With 90% the same ethnic background. Yeah right. While trying to hold on to the Russian border and making sure you don't get a few immigrants. My lord.
Expand Edited by crazy Jan. 3, 2024, 05:03:38 PM EST
New Sadly I think the ethnic background comment is the biggest issue here

The wealthy all over wish they had it as easy as the wealthy in the US do. We have enough different minorities, and large enough numbers of them, that there's a ready target for every attack the wealthy make.

This is not saying that Americans are more racist than the rest of the world. It's saying that race is an obvious and easy way to define "others" and target them, and because we have them, that's just what those in power do.
--

Drew
New Yes and no
90% ethnic majority means that the vast majority of the country has the same attitudes. The same religion. The same upbringing. Once it starts splitting apart it gives openings for discussions on how one is wrong and the other is right. Any society with identical ethnicity means they will agree on how to go forward. The second it diverges it creates problems.

As a Jew I was always the minority. I was always the one to be stomped on. I was always the one that disagreed with majority. Not that I would want to live in Israel. I think they are a bunch of assholes. Because as a Jew I was always taught to argue. Jews never agree.
New That sounds like "Yes and yes"
--

Drew
New Because "ethnic background" makes such a huge difference in how to use an ATM?
Funny how my cards have worked everywhere in Europe I've been this century. (Plus Turkey, over a decade ago.) With a population nearly twice that of the USA, and more ethnicities, languages, and national borders than you can shake a stick at.

Because "ethnic background" makes such a huge difference in how to care for people's health? Is it the quirky dietary habits of the common flu, or the incomprehensible language of cancer tumours that is the bigger problem...? Or is it just -- as usual -- the off-putting diseases and contagions of "those people" that civilised doctors can't treat?

If you really can't see that the "ethnic background" argument for running your country in such a shitty way is and always has been an utterly bogus tactic by your oligarchs to put the plebs against each other, then... Then maybe you're not the courageous free and independent thinker it's always seemed you like to see yourself as. Maybe you're still much more stuck in the "bubble" than you thought you were, in your own little amniotic sac in the rentier propaganda matrix.
--

Christian R. Conrad

New On "small city"
No.

5.5 Million is not "the size of a small city" in the US.

There is one (1) city in the US with a population in excess of five million: New York, at 8.3M (a shade smaller than London, which is 8.7M).

Of course, greater metro areas will have lots of people, but you didn't write that, so.
New cf Australia
Physically the size of the US. Population about 8% of the US. ATM withdrawals do not cost. By law. Most banks have a presence in most of the country but most transactions are electronic and all banks have interchange for EFTPOS. Personal cheques are very rare - most places do not even accept them anymore. Bank cheques still exist for large transactions, but electronic transactions are usually done for those now, too.

But we have a quite different banking culture, and, more germane to this discussion, quite different sets of laws than the US about how banks are to be run. Probably more like the UK ones.

So I think the way the US does banking as an industry is the outlier. Sorry.

Wade
New It used to be that way across Europe
With the added bonus the banks could collect an extra 20% each time money crossed a border. After the introduction of the Euro, the EU forced them to knock all that crap off.
     another sign of dotage - (boxley) - (24)
         Cheques? - (pwhysall) - (23)
             No ... checks - (drook)
             10 dollars in atm fees to take out cash from an out of state bank - (boxley) - (21)
                 is there no part of US civil society that doesn't involve you folks getting rinsed? - (pwhysall) - (20)
                     no atm fee at the bank but the bank is 412 miles away - (boxley) - (1)
                         ell oh - (pwhysall)
                     If there is, it's only because someone hasn't thought of it yet -NT - (drook)
                     That's because you have a tiny tiny country - (crazy) - (16)
                         Really? - (drook) - (1)
                             Exactly - (crazy)
                         Well that obviously makes it totally reasonable to charge $10 for a cash withdrawal - (pwhysall) - (4)
                             Mommy mommy, they're being mean to me - (crazy) - (3)
                                 "Some" is doing yeoman's work there - (drook) - (2)
                                     Yeah, I'm one of them - (crazy) - (1)
                                         Except you didn't. - (CRConrad)
                         Oh, fucking quit it with that ridiculously BS excuse for all the ways the USA is a third-world... - (CRConrad) - (6)
                             Ehh, see above - (crazy) - (5)
                                 Sadly I think the ethnic background comment is the biggest issue here - (drook) - (2)
                                     Yes and no - (crazy) - (1)
                                         That sounds like "Yes and yes" -NT - (drook)
                                 Because "ethnic background" makes such a huge difference in how to use an ATM? - (CRConrad)
                                 On "small city" - (pwhysall)
                         cf Australia - (static)
                         It used to be that way across Europe - (scoenye)

Egged on by rogue sentient trees, some of them do wish it.
269 ms