IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Current observation and predictions
I had a friend engage me on some AI back and forth and this is what I thought about it. He sent me the following link which triggered the discussion.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/11/20/a-coder-considers-the-waning-days-of-the-craft

Oh yeah, pretty much anything that requires someone to sit down and implement somebody else's directions/vision is at risk. The vast majority of white collar work will drop 90% of their employees as systems are rolled out.

They will keep the 10% to actually direct the AI to handle the remaining 90% employee's work. And then be responsible for reviewing and correcting. They will end up being truly hands-on managers since there will always be the moment that they can't trust the AI to handle a major transaction. So they will just have to direct and review and confirm milestones.

Programmers are first because programmers wrote this thing and the databases they fed into it and they started with all programmer knowledge and they spent time using it and tweaking it. They are the subject matter experts required to finally bless releasing it.

For every other industry that requires subject matter knowledge, there will have to be a final step as review before it gets released. I'm sure there's hundreds of them working on it right now from various industries.

Then you can deal with any organization that implements any type of numeric transaction that follows rules and can be automated. Accounting is gone. It's just gone. Accountants are robots that follow rules. This thing will wipe them out. All of the clerical positions under the accountants go as well of course.

In a couple of years, the voice capability will surpass the majority of human conversation and be indistinguishable. It will occasionally figure out there is an issue it can't handle and pass it off to a human. Just like first level customer service now. So it will be able to handle most conversational tasks.

The insurance industry is 90% pushing paperwork around. That paperwork has been computerized long ago. Insurance agents and everyone in the clerical chain is gone.

Lawyers should be very scared. If you are not customer facing you are gone. Most of what lawyers do is standard boiler plate (which I was able to handle in my divorce, no lawyer required ) and researching citations on the rare case that goes to court. Those huge law firms will fire most of the junior lawyers. And the vast majority of the clerical staff that supports them.

Healthcare back office will be wiped out. All that paperwork in hospitals that go back and forth with the insurers will be automated. So almost all the customer service.

90% of customer service positions that interact with supporting customers will be automated. It's been going that way for years with various phone tree systems, but when this thing is truly active it will be able to handle the conversations of almost all of the issues.

The list goes on and on. And when any company sees how well the accounting wipeout went and saved the money, they will look around and try to do it to every custom system they have. If you are not high up on the value chain and direct, design, engineer or research, you are possible target.

This will all start happening in about 2 years If Sam Altman gets his way.

He was just fired from the company that owns chat GPT, he started it as a non-profit, and then turned it commercial and got a valuation of $80 billion. He got Microsoft to commit to many billions. He gets to use all the Microsoft cloud servers.

There was a board battle led by a guy who was worried that it was rolling out too fast and was a danger to the world. He convinced the others to fire Sam Altman. This all happen three days ago. Then over the next couple of days a whole bunch of scientists and other employees quit. They were going to follow Sam.

The board is currently renegotiating with Sam to bring him back. So this will all probably start happening in about 2 years because Sam was the person directing the technology to be advanced to be commercialized and making the deals in the process to get into the Microsoft software.

If he doesn't go back to the current company and starts a new one, it'll take another couple of years. But he's got a huge head start and he's got the people. He just has to start the company, get some servers on Microsoft, and duplicate the work which he will be able to do. Up until a couple of years ago the code base was public domain so he can use it. He's got a good start for these people to re-implement the rest of what they did in the last 2 years, and now they will do it better and faster because they have the experience.

So there will be a huge loss of employment AND Microsoft will end up ruling the world as they roll out the various applications to the end user market.

Oops, you are late on your Microsoft bill? You have a problem that we quadrupled your payment this year? No problem, we'll just turn off the AI that runs your company while simultaneously rerouting your competitors to serve your customers.

It's the end of the world as we know it, the end of the world as we know it, the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

Well, not exactly. But I figure I'll be dead before the full impact is felt in about 10 years. Ben is up on the value chain. Sarah doesn't work, full-time mom, and her husband is someone who actually goes out and works with his hands. Maureen will always be service industry hands-on. Kate is probably screwed, she does something on the phone and juggles accounts back and forth, ripe for automation.

All this will require some major government intervention of some sort. If not, expect the revolution.
New This is a wild ride
New emp blast should fix that :-)
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Much closer to AGI than further away
In the past I always thought of AGI is being 10 years off. It will always be 10 years off. Every new decade showed up and it was another 10 years off. And then we got here.

https://youtu.be/LT-tLOdzDHA?si=0MwngzBf3nAsOVrE

So based on this it's 6 months to a year. The singularity is approaching.

And then I see this YouTube video and they buried the lead. At 3:40 we get remote controlled machine guns at the various pill boxes.

https://youtu.be/BEPwAJhR_uQ?si=Ls9ajfW-SxXBDN2T.

If an AGI wants to take us out but not nuke us, it can use standard warfare now. Combine this with remote control trucks with little tracked vehicles to be used as distribution units.

Add in the drones and it wins.
New If we've learned anything from Sci-Fi ...
And yes, I know we never learn anything important until it's too late.

But the biggest lesson that we need to learn is to never give an AI the ability to build more AI.
--

Drew
New It's too late
They figured out a way to feed it synthetic data. It will just grow exponentially from here.
https://youtu.be/T1RuUw019vA?si=2-QmkYwX9SsqXpxR
New As long as we still control the hardware ... We do still control the hardware, don't we?
--

Drew
New Hell no
It controls purchase orders. It controls work orders. It can email human agents to do its bidding. It can set up factories without us even being aware of it.
New So you think "Person of Interest" was non-fiction
--

Drew
New The first couple of seasons were enjoyable
And every time they play the how many degrees to Kevin Bacon or the terrorist game and claimed it was difficult to do, I knew I could code it in about 20 minutes.

But then it went full AI and I considered it bat s***. At this point I'd say that's a year or two off.
New A key element they had that I haven't heard discussed about Chat GPT
It identified patterns you hadn't thought to look for, and analyzed what it may mean. Current tools still depend on you asking a good question.
--

Drew
New I have had severel dreams about . . .
. . malignant computers. In most cases the solution was to find and get too the means of shutting off the electric power - generally not easy to do.

One vivid dream took a proactive approach. A large, isolated facility had been built to house a very large computer system that was thought extremely dangerous. I was involved with installing the safety system, and I would not be in the facility when it was in operation.

This safety system was just plain old dumb plumbing, and the working parts were not shown in the plans for the facility. Only a few people involved in installing it knew about it, and they would not be working in the facility.

It consisted of a water tank, with a valve that opened if the water reached a certain level. That level would mean that toilets weren't flushing and sinks weren't being used - in other words, no people. That valve opened into a large pipe the open end of which was above the drop ceiling - right over a very critical (and vulnerable) part of the computer system.

On the top side of the ceiling tiles was scattered an acid substance (citric acid?) that would assure the water was conductive and corrosive.

The critical part of the computer was a very complex looking tower, about 7 feet high and 3 feet diameter, with a lot of cabling involved.

There was a safety system for the safety system. There was a red light, about 1-1/2 inch diameter, in the janitorial closet where only the janitor would see it. The janitor was instructed that if that light ever went on, he was to run water in his sink for a certain time. He was not told why, just that he'd be fired if he didn't do it.

Since the dream faded out here, I have no idea it the system was ever activated.
New That sounds very innovative.
I wonder if it would work. Or whether it would need a duplicate system as a backup in case The Computer found the first...

Wade
New I'm pretty sure there were other systems . . .
. . but I had knowledge of just this one. Any other systems would be, like this one, on a strict "need to know" basis.
New Based on a leaked memo, or possibly a totally B******* troll
It is making suggestions for how to make itself better but it is not currently allowed to modify its own code directly. The researchers recommend that they do not modify it the way it wants because it is too dangerous. It also cracked AES 192 which means it can go break into military systems with ease. And issue orders.

https://youtu.be/3d0kk88IE8c?si=QAW_Pjt7HlukXCpt
New 1: WTF does remote control have to do with “AI”?
Those are just real-life video games: Those machine guns are controlled by guys with, probably, game console controllers.

But, 2), the much bigger problem you have is with where you get your news. Unlike the BOx, who is far too prone to get stuck on sources with obviously corrosive messages like some Fox-addicted grandpa, you seem to be proving McLuhan's (or was it Nelson's?) thesis that “the medium is the message”: Your sources are all YouTube. Try to read some actual text for a change, that'll probably calm you down a little.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Remote control anything means possibly controlled by the computers on their own
Of course those are remote controlled video game like environment for now. Which is the simple step to then be controlled just by the AI.

Read the papers? Are you crazy? The math involved is way beyond me. So now I have to find people with a trustable point of view. Which to me are the geeks who are paying attention and who can delve into it.

None of it really matters to me. It'll be 10 years or so until the culmination and the obvious singularity happens. And I'll be dead by then. But I think these moments are the turning point.

You're the one who seems to be frothing about me pointing it out.
Expand Edited by crazy Nov. 25, 2023, 12:12:32 PM EST
New You seem to have a rather idiosyncratic definition of "frothing".
New I tried to figure out how the board worked
Who appoints the directors? It seems the directors appoint the directors. Not quite sure still, but this is the best video that delved into that.

https://youtu.be/ZJIWTA4x24s?si=E8d7P3Qnr-vuUG2L

This is the best explainer of the corporate structure that I've come across so far.

You said the medium is the message. B*******. The medium was the message when we had three channels to choose from. Adding channel 12 for PBS. Then three more on UHF but those were reruns of the Munsters. It was incredibly limiting. Now the limiting factors what YouTube allows to be published. They blur out the bloody Russian bodies and the explosions for some channels. Other are allowed to show everything because they don't give a s*** about being monetized and are the pure propaganda channels.

But I definitely get multiple viewpoints with different levels of government/ propaganda versus YouTube commentators with incredible history and experience, so they can give me a validated justified supported viewpoint.

Many years ago I said that the most important thing the internet will ever give me is a decent viewpoint. I'd be willing to pay for certain people's viewpoint if they proved their ability. I can get that now. It's my job to figure out the b******* though. And who's got a conflict of interest.
New "You said the medium is the message. B*******." [-ullshit, I assume.]
Not "YouTube vs Fox" or "YouTube vs TV" or anything like that.

YouTube and Fox and TV vs text. On paper or screens or stone tablets or whatever.

I'm beginning to think moving pictures as such corrode the brain.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New I read that a very much YouTube vs TV
They're both video, they can look and feel the same if you want to. But what you can put on YouTube - and of course what you can find there - is worlds apart from what will get past even the most jaded "traditional" producer.

We have a generation coming up for whom YouTube *is* TV. They don't draw the same lines we do, so they don't understand how different they are.

Just look at the recent Fox case. Can you imagine similar against YouTube? "We didn't say it, we're just the phone line."

The old system has massive flaws, but I can't believe that keeping most of the old structures while discarding all accountability is the way to fix it.

PS: I believe the censoring is his voice-to-text software.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Nov. 28, 2023, 08:10:15 AM EST
New I actually partially agree with you there
When I watch the lawyer stuff I like it when they pop up the judgment or the pleading or the filing or whatever. It fills my laser projected 12 ft screen and I can read it really easily. So I hit pause and I read and absorb and then I fast forward the video to the next page shown and I do it again. I come to my own judgment of the moment and then I watch the video from the beginning to get the lawyers commentary and see where I got it wrong or not. The reading lets me absorb better than the listening commentary.

But without that lawyer showing that paperwork on the screen I wouldn't have been aware of it in the first place. I'm not following these cases and tracking down the paperwork in that detail. That's his job.

Same thing with the AI people. I let a bunch of them babble at me and point to papers which I occasionally actually track down and read. But not usually.

And yes you are correct about my profanity auto asterisker. I dictate to my phone and I do not bother correcting the curses. I'd spend a lot of time typing F*** f*** f*** f*** f*** and then actually typing it. No thanks. People can figure it out easily enough. It perfectly dictated the previous paragraph including asterisker. It knows that word does not exist but it let me do it anyway. I am blown away by the capabilities of modern dictate having failed so many times in the past. I had to upgrade a top and PC to run dragon dictate and it's still failed. It did not provide the capability that we needed. And now I am running near perfect dictation on a cell phone. So I'm happy to let it throw those asterisks in for the benefit it provides me.

Of course, the cell phone is projected to the screen so I can easily read it without my glasses. I hate switching to glasses but I will occasionally in order to actually type on the phone. But not often.
New Great timing, question about dictating
My wife is trying to write a book, but with dyslexia the typing is a challenge. She asked about getting something for the computer so she can dictate, but my last experience with Dragon was disappointing.

What's your setup? Android or iPhone? And you said it's on the screen, how are you casting? She's asking me to get this working as a Christmas present, so I'm actually open to spending some money on it.
--

Drew
New Android to Chromecast device
Google Pixel phone. Latest model from a year ago, not the current latest. Doesn't work nearly as well on cheaper phones, lots of lag. Zero lag on this phone.
New Yeah, I think it's time to get a Chromecast
I've spent years waiting for Google to get casting to work with smart TVs without a dongle, like Apple can do. It's clearly not a technical issue but a corporate direction issue.

And thanks for the pointer on lag on cheaper phones. She's currently got a low-end Motorola, so I shouldn't use that as a baseline. I'm going to try out the default "Dictate" on the Windows laptop tonight and see if it works, but need to remember I've got a cheap one and that might not show what it's actually capable of.
--

Drew
     Current observation and predictions - (crazy) - (24)
         This is a wild ride - (crazy) - (23)
             emp blast should fix that :-) -NT - (boxley) - (22)
                 Much closer to AGI than further away - (crazy) - (21)
                     If we've learned anything from Sci-Fi ... - (drook) - (10)
                         It's too late - (crazy) - (8)
                             As long as we still control the hardware ... We do still control the hardware, don't we? -NT - (drook) - (7)
                                 Hell no - (crazy) - (6)
                                     So you think "Person of Interest" was non-fiction -NT - (drook) - (2)
                                         The first couple of seasons were enjoyable - (crazy) - (1)
                                             A key element they had that I haven't heard discussed about Chat GPT - (drook)
                                     I have had severel dreams about . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                         That sounds very innovative. - (static) - (1)
                                             I'm pretty sure there were other systems . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                         Based on a leaked memo, or possibly a totally B******* troll - (crazy)
                     1: WTF does remote control have to do with “AI”? - (CRConrad) - (9)
                         Remote control anything means possibly controlled by the computers on their own - (crazy) - (8)
                             You seem to have a rather idiosyncratic definition of "frothing". -NT - (CRConrad) - (7)
                                 I tried to figure out how the board worked - (crazy) - (6)
                                     "You said the medium is the message. B*******." [-ullshit, I assume.] - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                         I read that a very much YouTube vs TV - (drook)
                                         I actually partially agree with you there - (crazy) - (3)
                                             Great timing, question about dictating - (drook) - (2)
                                                 Android to Chromecast device - (crazy) - (1)
                                                     Yeah, I think it's time to get a Chromecast - (drook)

Gee whillikers!
99 ms