IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Sentient LRPD
"Look upon my CD collection ye mighty, and tremble."

This is something I am struggling with. I don't know how many CDs I have, but it's definitely over 2000 - and that's not counting the big stacks of LPs and 78s.

It's nearly all "Classical", from early Medieval to last week. A little weak in Romantic (Tchaikovsky and the like), and, fortunately, very weak in the "post war modern" crap of the mid 20th century.

Young composers in that era were told by their professors that if they composed anything people would actually buy and listen to - they had failed as a modern composer.**

I have a set of CD's titled "Masterpieces of the 20th century. There's a couple of small pieces on the last CD of the set that you might want to listen to, but the rest, not so much.

More modern is much better, with some exceptions. I'm quite pleased with many works by Philip Glass - but I have a two CD set titled "50 Years of the Philip Glass Ensemble". I've put in the box a warning, "Do Not Attempt to listen to this stuff without appropriate recreational substances".

Aside from the big problems of organizing and storing the collection, I'm trying to figure out how it should be dispositioned when I finally croak.

** Sir Thomas Beecham was once asked, "What do you think of Stockhausen?". His reply was, "I don't think about Stockhausen, but I did tread in some once."
New A museum maybe?
Streaming might make some of it redundant. My son in particular plays and enjoys classical music but mainly listens to modern orchestral music, including soundtracks for games and anime, both of which are very popular these days. He will only buy something if it can't be streamed because he doesn't want to deal with carting anything around, physically or digitally.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Streaming
Probably at least 3/4 of what I have will never be found on streaming. For example Medieval Sephardic music from Spain, or extremely modern works, or reconstructions of ancient Greek and Egyptian music.
New Is there an audio equivalent of Project Gutenberg?
If not, maybe you could suggest it to them.
--

Drew
New I tried about a minute of Stockhausen
That was painful.

Maybe you just want to digitize it all for eternal quick access and then take it to a local record store which is now a reselling CD store and make a few bucks.

When I was about 13, my older's brother friend was the type of person who bought a new record or five or 10 every week. I'd stop by his house a couple times of week and he would expose me to the variety of music which essentially formed the cornerstone of my musical appreciation.

He then did that again with CDs when they showed up. He replaced every record in his collection with the CD and then continue to expand.

15 years ago he digitized everything. He just continuously swapped CDs into the tray as it opened. Actually, I guess digitizing is a misnomer since on CDs the music is already digital. It's a high-speed copy at that point. It all ended up in a single high capacity external hard drive.

And then he sold me his entire CD collection for $300. I pick and chose and kept about half of it and sold the rest to a store and they paid me about 500 bucks for half of it. 10 years later I sold the rest of it (I was tired of carrying those crates around and I can get anything online I wanted anytime, at least the stuff I listen to) for another 500 bucks so I enjoyed it and made money on it.
New Interesting related article:
‘No one else is saving it’: the fight to protect a historic music collection. Maybe you should add your collection to that?

Discussion (where I found it): Hacker News.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Archive.org may take them.
     Sentient LRPD - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
         A museum maybe? - (malraux) - (1)
             Streaming - (Andrew Grygus)
         Is there an audio equivalent of Project Gutenberg? - (drook)
         I tried about a minute of Stockhausen - (crazy)
         Interesting related article: - (CRConrad)
         Archive.org may take them. - (Another Scott)

Do you know where your towel is?
39 ms