IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New finally learned to bake a loaf of bread that wasnt a brick without a breadmachine
used this recipe
https://savortheflavour.com/homemade-cuban-bread-pan-cubano/
remember drew saying to measure carefully and do as the instructions say.
the only thing I didnt have was a palmetto leaf so skipped that. With a loaf of bread being $5.00 around here I will be making this my goto bread.

very happy with the results
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Baking is chemistry.
Getting the proportions, and temperature, right is very important. Weighing the ingredients usually works better than measuring cups, etc.

Lots of good tips in the link you posted. Thanks for the pointer.

Cheers,
Scott.
New And voodoo
Unless you've got a hygrometer and a wet-bulb thermometer in your kitchen, and a table for converting ingredient measurements and cook time and temperature, you're getting lucky.

Although experience helps when rolling it out and you know if the dough feels too wet or too dry.
--

Drew
New Yeah, the Cuban bread is airy and low density.
I make it occasionally in my bread maker. Usually it's other breads.

Breads are overpriced. The only bread my wife buys is sourdough bread which is beyond my work.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Sourdough you kind of need to always be making
Keeping the mother dough going is a full-time job.
--

Drew
New It is quite resilient
We keep ours in the fridge and split it the evening before baking. It survives the usual 4 week interval without problems. Every so often, I make a load of sourdough crumpets or pancakes in between.

Overall, I find it much easier than yeast. Hydration can get interesting, but it is manageable if you're accurate when feeding the starter.
New Years of experience probably masking how difficult that actually is
--

Drew
     finally learned to bake a loaf of bread that wasnt a brick without a breadmachine - (boxley) - (6)
         Baking is chemistry. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             And voodoo - (drook)
         Yeah, the Cuban bread is airy and low density. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
             Sourdough you kind of need to always be making - (drook) - (2)
                 It is quite resilient - (scoenye) - (1)
                     Years of experience probably masking how difficult that actually is -NT - (drook)

Ooh, Peter found the asterisk, color me chastised.
96 ms