1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Where my language nerds at?
--

Drew
New Wild
The more I study other languages, the more I realize how inter-related yet different they all are.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New I believe you meant ...
When more I study other languages, then more I realize how inter-related yet different they all are.
--

Drew
New This is oh screw you moment
And it seems every interpretation of anything I say will always end up as an oh screw you moment. So screw you.
New What, you don't love learning new things?
That the "the" in "the more the merrier" isn't an article ...

That "the more the merrier" is in fact an idiom that I've understood for so long I didn't realize it *was* idiomatic ...

The old usage that sounds utterly strange to me but it's more logical ...

I love this shit.
--

Drew
New Amongst other things...
... this helps me understand why the "if/when" construct in other languages can be so alien.

Wade.
New "The more, the better" = DE "je mehr, um so besser"; SV "ju mer, desto bättre".
That "je" and "ju" are closely related seems obvious, but "um so" (= EN "about" or "around"; "so" or "then")? And "desto"? Looks kind'a Latinate / Italianish to me, but fuck knows. And WTF kind of words are "je" and "ju"?

Oh yeah, and FI: "Mikä enemmän, mikä paremmin" = "What more, what better". Or perhaps "what more, that better".

None of the words look like articles in any of those languages. Conjunctions, subjunctions, pronouns... Is there a term "prepositions" in English? Some of them look like what I'd call a preposition (N.B: not a proposition) in Swedish.

But don't ask me about any of this shit.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Yes, we have prepositions
But, English being English, parts of speech are descriptive, not prescriptive. I suspect maybe 10% of native speakers could tell you "the" is an article, fewer than that could tell you that it is also an adjective or an adverb, depending on what it is identifying, and almost none would come up with the "the more the merrier" formulation as a completely different thing. In the original "when more then merrier" formulation, "when" and "then" would be adverbs, though for a completely different reason.
--

Drew
New NL = hoe meer, hoe beter. "Hoe" -> "how"
There is also a variant used with more complete sentences:

"Hoe ouder ik word, des te sneller de tijd lijkt te gaan." -> "The older I get, the faster the time seems to go."

Looks like "desto" may be a contraction. "des" is a genitive. It has been on the phase-out track since the Middle Ages (tenacious little bugger...) The current meaning corresponds roughly to "of the" (e.g. "de procureur des Konings" - "the prosecutor of the King"*, so the use above is pretty much as you expressed it...)

(Warning: dialect speaker here - there's a ton more of those hiding in the closet that I do not even know are there...)

* No, (s)he is not prosecuting the King. (S)he works for him.
New Yup, that's it, thanks!
Your "des te" must be either the source of Swedish "desto", or another branch descended from a common source. Seems quite probable that the Swedes got it from/via French, which was de rigeur at court in the eighteenth century. Or some other Romance language -- that term had apparently slipped my mind yesterday, so "Latinate".
--

Christian R. Conrad

New The longer I live, obviously the stupider I am.
Not a language nerd, and won't remember any of this stuff, but boy I'm impressed.
Expand Edited by crazy Nov. 17, 2022, 07:41:40 PM EST
New Impressed by people speaking foreign languages? Relax, we're cheating.
They aren't foreign to us. :-)
--

Christian R. Conrad

New Says the guy who knows 5, IIRC
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New CRC is 50 times bigger than IIRC
--

Drew
     Where my language nerds at? - (drook) - (13)
         Wild - (malraux) - (3)
             I believe you meant ... - (drook) - (2)
                 This is oh screw you moment - (crazy) - (1)
                     What, you don't love learning new things? - (drook)
         Amongst other things... - (static)
         "The more, the better" = DE "je mehr, um so besser"; SV "ju mer, desto bättre". - (CRConrad) - (7)
             Yes, we have prepositions - (drook)
             NL = hoe meer, hoe beter. "Hoe" -> "how" - (scoenye) - (5)
                 Yup, that's it, thanks! - (CRConrad)
                 The longer I live, obviously the stupider I am. - (crazy) - (3)
                     Impressed by people speaking foreign languages? Relax, we're cheating. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                         Says the guy who knows 5, IIRC -NT - (malraux) - (1)
                             CRC is 50 times bigger than IIRC -NT - (drook)

So let me sign off in idiocy...
68 ms