IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Remember two things.
1) You cannot undo the paper losses you've had by pulling funds out. There would be penalties and taxes on the withdrawn 401-K funds. At most you should be thinking about moving funds between the choices you have.

2) It is when things look bleakest that it often the best time to be investing. Unless you have a clear crystal ball that says the markets will continue to go to hell, continue with your contributions with, at least, the matched amount, as Bill says. You could also allocate the money to the more conservative investments as Ben suggests. This will make sleeping easier. The flip side of that is that, if we are "near bottom" in the markets, you will miss out on the faster recovery of stock prices.

If you cut back on your 401-K contributions, use the funds to max out on your Roth IRA in conservative investments like a bond fund. This is now "after tax" money, but you have total control on your IRAs. Usually there is a limited set of (sometimes not the best) choices in 401-Ks. The Roth IRAs and their accumulated value, when you finally start dipping into them, will be tax-free.

The usual disclaimers apply.
Alex

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." -- Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
New This is good advice

Especially since I'm one of those people who are 'finance-impaired'. I mean, I can make change and all but when it comes to savings and investment I don't have a clue.

I think I'll pull my 401K deduction back to 6%, to match my employer, and try to figure out somewhere else to put the remaining 4%.

In any event, if I get this new gig I'm aiming at, then it may be a new ball game in any event. (I passed the phone interview and they want to talk to me in person.)

Tom Sinclair
"Subverting Young Minds Since 03/13/2000"
New Basic savings advice
The number one rule is to live below your means, consistently. Do that for a lifetime, and you are pretty much guaranteed to wind up well-off. Even if you don't have a stellar income.

The principles here are that you pick an appropriate lifestyle, you only buy on credit when having the purchased makes or saves you money, and you avoid the tax of buying brand new. An appropriate lifestyle might mean taking a bagged lunch to work, saving you over a thousand dollars a year. Appropriate things to buy on credit include a house or education. The former because it saves you rent, and the latter because you are likely to make more. By contrast taking out a loan to buy a new car, couch, or TV doesn't make sense. And if you buy a car when it is 3 years old, you get much the same car at half the price.

Assuming that you are doing this - that you therefore don't have a constant credit card hangover and do have money to invest etc - the principles are simple. There are many types of investment. They can generally be sorted along a spectrum of risk and return - assume that you avoid obvious gambling and wishful thinking, the potential risk is directly correlated with the potential rewards. The longer the time you are investing over, the more appropriate it is to invest in high-risk areas (eg stocks) where inevitable setbacks are outweighed by better long-term returns. If you are investing for a specific more short-term event, say your kid's college, then you should go for lower risk investments like municipal bonds.

And don't worry about being good at it. The oft-quoted, but still true, fact is that if you put random stocks on a dart board, throw your darts, then buy the ones you hit - you will beat the majority of professional funds out there. And they are likely to beat you if you try to actively manage the money. (This is somewhat less true given how much money now sits in indexed funds with their very predictable behaviour.) Do something half-way reasonable, spread your investments around a bit, and be willing to accept that any given 5 year period may suck, and the odds are incredible that you will turn out OK.

And an insider tip about how finance works. Companies like Merrill Lynch spend a lot of energy making up sophisticated terminology which they can teach clients, leaving the clients with the feeling that they are now "sophisticated investors", so that the newly confident clients will start doing stupid stuff - like buying garbage investments that Merrill Lynch needs to sell, and like trading a lot, giving Merrill Lynch a cut each time. So when people start throwing a lot of big words at you that you don't understand, don't get impressed. The odds are that if you don't understand it upon asking for a quick explanation, you didn't need to as a private investor. This is not to say that there are not sophisticated investment tactics that are important. There are, but they are more relevant to, say, a CFO who needs to invest now so as to guarantee having $10 million on hand to pay off a bond in 5 years.

Two book recommendations. [link|http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1563523302/103-7567434-6575837|The Millionaire Next Door] and [link|http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0316353809/103-7567434-6575837|How to buy Stocks]. The first underscores my lifestyle comment. The second should give you all of the vocabulary and understanding of principles that you need to understand the stock market.

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
New As always
your post was extremely lucid and educational.

As for investing, my own preference is to just dump a certain amount into a fund (well, like my 401K) and get back to my life.

I've never been much for actively trading stocks.

Tom Sinclair
"Subverting Young Minds Since 03/13/2000"
New It's worked for me.
Accent upon: a clear discrimination among countless random 'wants' and some reasonable facsimile of actual? 'need' (modified by the occasional.. Oh WTF, why not?) Life IS, after all about Exceptions [Captain Picard Vol I.] and spontaneity is a deadly price ever to pay for umm 'logical conformity' 24/7.

Frankly too: the scary idea of "giving up" all that stuff: is equally a Red Herring. Once you take personal inventory and discover (don't know how to put it Universally) "what you love VS sorta like" - the triage is not at all unpleasant - it could even be called exhilarating! tossing those useless boxes of saved stuff.

As always YMMV.

Bon appetit y'all. (One lives longer eating small portions, it is said)

Ashton
New Supporting link.
You may not care for the sponsor, but the [link|http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/020701/12333_1.html|message] is right on target.
Alex

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." -- Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
New See whatcha mean ;-)
Well, even GE has to get it right, sometimes..

Now then, cutting out that one manicure/ week saved me $27K ??! - Wow! now I can spend it. But wait, where did it go?

(Is that the corollary of: "Hey! it's on Sale; Look at how much I'll *save* buying this ____")

We have to Face It: we're All bloody good rationalizers - A+

I wonder if the $29K for COFFEE - was at current Starbucks prices forever, otherwise pretty impressive if the # comes from integrating ascending costs over an actual 30 years.

Anyway - a good sample of the Magic of compound interest (too). But then, so was I one who enquired about the share cost of Sony Corp, early-on.. found it was about $1/share. Neglected to buy some.

So what do I know?

Ashton
     401-Ks - Are they still worth it? - (tjsinclair) - (18)
         Does your company match any? - (bepatient) - (2)
             Yes...6% -NT - (tjsinclair) - (1)
                 Then you should... - (bepatient)
         No, talk to your bank - (orion) - (7)
             Sorry to disagree... - (bepatient) - (3)
                 Just my luck I had the rat's *ss 401K program - (orion) - (2)
                     Tax deferred - (kmself) - (1)
                         Thirty years is a long time - (orion)
             My 401K allows fixed investments - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                 Re: My 401K allows fixed investments - (wharris2) - (1)
                     Ditto - (ben_tilly)
         Remember two things. - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
             This is good advice - (tjsinclair) - (5)
                 Basic savings advice - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                     As always - (tjsinclair)
                     It's worked for me. - (Ashton) - (2)
                         Supporting link. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                             See whatcha mean ;-) - (Ashton)

Damn them, and their hatstand minions!
143 ms