IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New "Dissent is not unAmerican"
A sign in window at City Lights bookstore (SF) .. a report of responses to the sign and..

[link|http://www.thismodernworld.com/|Tomaso Ma\ufffdana] reports on the mood of the place:
... ... You see where I'm going with this? If you're out there on the right, or even in that sensible neocon center, you're probably not smelling the gas. You're probably not exposed to the overwhelming mass of sheer ignorant hatred that's out there, coiled and waiting. You're probably not subject to a constant barrage of email that reminds of you of this on a daily, even hourly basis, that makes you wonder, for the first time in your life, even including the years of Reagan and Bush the elder, if this country is actually, literally, genuinely headed for something more frightening than you'd ever thought possible.

But just because you're not seeing it--because in your sensible moderation, your support of the "war" and your denunciations of suicide bombing or whatever other incredibly brave and risky stance you've chosen to take (bad things are wrong! )--just because you're not seeing it, that doesn't mean it's not there. Ready to ignite and take you down right along with those crazy complainers in 3-b.
Way I see it: whether or not *his* mailbox is typical of anything "out there" -?- what are the odds that your friendly local Corporate nightly talking head -- will tell you anything at all: er unpleasant ??

I mean.. do stories describing Awfulness sell that new pharm-chem Miracle-Drug which you need to prod your Medico to order for you - SAP?

Of course too - maybe that has nothing to do with it: car-crashes are clearly very important to hear described. Regularly. And weather.
New I'd prefer "Dissent is not unConstitutional".
Just that same old "American" thing I have. At least until we annex Canada.

And I think he should take a note from The Register and post his "hate mail of the week".
New Problem with that -
Y'see, there's a substantial minority who believe that 'Government' is a synonym for Evil Usurpers of Bizness Prerogatives: to run everything that's runnable. And runnable for Profit, it goes without saying. And.. let's not go into Whose, just here.

Consequently 'Constitution' is another word, just as easily dismissed as ~ [pick any of countless equivalent Yahoo slogans] the yammerings of the nattering nabobs of negativity: them Ivory Tower Intellek-shals and their Com-Symp fellow-travellers .. etc. Well.. the phrases are much longer than the Word, of course - but they fall so trippingly from the tongue, as you light those torches and put on the hoods.

(And of course too, Non Sequitur's cartoon adequately demonstrated the hatchet job done (a la innovation) on the idea of liberal, as in "liberal education", or "an open mind towards____")

So: mayhaps they had no 'neutral' choice that didn't evoke one of the above re-programmed traditional words: like The Constitution of the US of A and other such subversively tainted documents (?)

When a whole country has successfully fucked with Language to This Degree: you have to keep any slogans free of any need for actual Thought.

HTH?

Ashton

PS 'Usage' declares that: the Only America is US. The other folks on the landmass -- how many Divisions do they command in the field?
New Depends on the particular "dissent"
For example, to condemn shrilly any attempt by our civilization to protect itself against aggression, without even trying to offer meaningful alternatives, well that's not exactly loyal opposition, is it?

Anti-American is as anti-American does.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Truth is that which is the case. Accept no substitutes.
If competence is considered "hubris" then may I and my country always be as "arrogant" as we can possibly manage.
New Gotta love those adj.'s and adv.'s
condemn shrilly
Note: not just "condemn".

offer meaningful alternatives
Note: "meaningful".

And guess who is the judge of whether something is "shrill" or "meaningful" or not.

:)

Because YOU do not agree with something does NOT mean it is unConstitutional.
     "Dissent is not unAmerican" - (Ashton) - (4)
         I'd prefer "Dissent is not unConstitutional". - (Brandioch) - (1)
             Problem with that - - (Ashton)
         Depends on the particular "dissent" - (marlowe) - (1)
             Gotta love those adj.'s and adv.'s - (Brandioch)

Weapon of choice.
40 ms