IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Red Skelton...the Prophet.
[link|http://home.att.net/~poofcatt/july.html|"Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that is a prayer and that would be eliminated from schools too?"]

You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Why that changes everything.
So it isn't indoctrination when it's our indoctrination.

You ARE aware that "under God" was added because certain people felt that our PoA sounded too similar to certain oaths of those "Godless Communists".

No, it is NOT a "prayer".

"Strawman" strikes again.

No one has claimed that it was a prayer.

The same as posting the 10 Commandments in every public classroom would not be a "prayer".

But it would be an obvious endorsement of one particular religion by the government.

Again, if it does not matter, then "under Allah" should be completely acceptable.
New My my my.
I can't even post a website about a comedian's statement relating to the PoA without you feeling the urge.

Give it a rest already.

He predicted this outcome on a television show quite some time ago.

In "religious" parlance ( I see the irony of that title went right over your head) that would make the man a prophet.

Maybe I should have posted it in Oh Pun >just for you<.

Everybody else probably got a good chuckle.

New So, "prayer" is whatever you say it is?
He predicted this outcome on a television show quite some time ago.
No. His bit was about how it might be called a "prayer".

No one has said it was a prayer.

The same as having pictures of Jesus in every public classroom wouldn't be a "prayer".

But it is government endorsement of a religion.

Again, you're working your strawmen and trying to blame them on me.

Your ignorance is not my fault.

In "religious" parlance ( I see the irony of that title went right over your head) that would make the man a prophet.
Yes. It would. If this case was about how the PoA was a prayer. But it isn't.

Again, your ignorance is not my fault.

Everybody else probably got a good chuckle.
Ah, just as you are the spokesperson for "most Americans".

Another difference between us.

I do NOT have to rely upon whether ANYONE else believes as I do to support my position.

Yet you keep trying to invoke the agreement of the nameless multitudes to support your's.

"Moral Majority II"?
New WTF?
Did somebody piss in your corn flakes this morning?

New Because you're ignorant, it's my fault?
You reference Red saying that it would be a shame if the PoA was ever declared a "prayer".

And you think this has some relevance?

But it hasn't been declared a "prayer".

And when I finally get that hammered through your head, you think that I'm the one with the problem?
New Um...
...it was supposed to be humorous.

But since you seem devoid of that trait....

I'll humor you...

Its not a prayer. RED WAS WRONG...its not a prayer its not a prayer.

Feel better?

Moron.

New But you said he was a "prophet".
He prophesized an event.

He said it would happen before it happened and then it happened.

But it didn't happen.

And I'm the "moron"?
New Yes you are.

New This thread is alot like that Monty Python Argument sketch
It's [link|http://www.montypython.net/scripts/argument.php|here].

No it isn't.

Yes it is.

No it isn't...
Ray
New OH! Oh! I'm sorry! This is abuse!

New Ain't propaganda Fun?
Especially of the warm-puppy ilk (?)

OK, there's (was..) one lovable Red Skelton.

There was his one-liner quip. *Just that alone* would have been sufficiently brief as to indeed! evoke a wonderful hint of how Murican idolatry of colored cloth might manifest. Stop there >|

Then: there's far more - via the real/mythical Mr. Laswell, comes the real message - with attributions to God of: everything Warm & Fuzzy about *America or its modern counterpart, shortened to accommodate the attention span.. We are indeed Special: Chosen of the Absolute, etc. No hubris there, nope.. not a trace. We Be The One. Chosen People\ufffd

*who ever gave the US sole-proprietorship from Point Barrow to the tip of Chile? in this un-hyphenated 'America'?

Nice litmus, BeeP. To criticize once funny now poor dead Red's (even poorer, deader Teach, Mr. L.) -- might be construed as BOTH unPatriotic AND anti-God simultaneously.

Hey..! That's a TwoFer. Esp with Old Glory a Wavin across the top. {sniff} Why only a ComSymp would risk alienating BOTH God AND [a jingoistic maudlin portrayal of] Country!

Why that would be tantamont, just a *few* years back, in another place, - to singing a bar of,

Vhen der F\ufffdehrer sez 'Ve Iss der Master Race' ..
Ve Heil! {phtbbbbt} Heil! {phtbbbbt} right in der F\ufffdehrer's Face ...

(Comforting no? that you can always get a spot at Wagg-Edd with That kinda Catch 22 - if current gig wears a bit thin..) :-\ufffd

Ashton Propagandists for Peace OurWay LLC
New Nice to know...
...my posting proclivities now qualify me for a Wagg-Ed job.

And here I thought that this post would have gotten, at most, a chuckle...instead I get one picking a fight and you posting this.

I underestimated myself again.

Wonders may never cease.

New If that was a verbatim transcript Red S spoke on his show -
the 'credit' is all his. And I wouldn't expect Red to be expert in separating his religion from civics either; surely he has lots of company in missing that distinction - specially as entertainer.

Was he preciously 'prescient' - or isn't it almost the same stretch to suppose that.. somewhere inside, even then - he sorta grokked "what this might Really be about" ? And saw that that bucolic era was a bit early for most to notice or, say: risk being Seen to notice?

But c'mon Mr. Innocent Neutral Jokester: your punchline pretty well begs for the rebuttal to the original implicit presumption: ~ that,

you'd have to be some kinda future- Commie-Pinko to find anything Wrong with mixing [My God] and another's [Patriotism] -- with blender set to puree.

As I implied - Wagg-Edd would ever lack sufficient subtlety (undoubtedly emulating their virtual-owner to a T).. to present this material as if it were merely a humorous 'prediction' that oddly.. came to be. As you protest was your er aim.

So this would make you an: upgrade to their Team! (were you to accept the ignominy, that is ;-) Prolly you wouldn't though; I doubt you could bring it off and I'll bet you do too. You ain't That far gone ;-)

Ashton deWitt Robespierre
Sorry - no chuckles for religio-politics presented as persiflage, Percy.
New Hmmm
I guess I have to be careful when I find a link on the Internet that looks vaguely related to a topic on the board.

Then I must >really< be careful how I title the post with the link.

I wouldn't want anyone to read more into it than was intended...nor offend any of the more >sensitive< folks.

I already know to keep a Webster handy...just in case a may use an incorrect word...opening myself up to interplanetary abuse.

Expand Edited by bepatient June 29, 2002, 12:00:00 PM EDT
New Thou Hast Chosen this-form of game IIRC
By -invariably?- dropping "someone's" variously cockamamie, merely semantically-loaded (or occasionally.. sentient!) POV and splitting:

You Dare the reader to *guess* the spin *you* might put on the innuendo, and only ever umm clarify.. (I'd say that on a few occasions, 'weasel' is not a totally inappropriate verb) or otherwise protest that,

"I Never Said ____." 'Exactly'

Now I had supposed that, someone steeped in such \ufffdthereally fluff-based concepts as say, The Velocity --> of Money and other mechanical obfuscations of the Fact of: the *actual* acceleration of Most money --> into already the Very Fattest of all Pockets --

Would choose this very Scheme! See? More prescience: mine. :-)

So in absence of ever advancing a posit and defending same (should it ever be in any way - umm less than intuitively obvious?) I'd suggest that,

Thou Has Made Thine Own Bed and must perforce er Lie.. In. It.
I came here for an argument and all I got was this lousy Weasel-shirt.

Ashton Undiluted Goodness LLC, Div. of
Totally non-Biased Arbitrageurs* of All Things Ltd.

..anticipating a LBO by Microsloth Trustworthy Computing Chapels, Inc.
(once you've LBO'd Evil: what's left to Buy but..)

* rhymes with poseur
New I shall remember that.
Especially when posting to Oh Pun.

Lest someone think I be spinning my jokes, too.

New Red Skelton...a man ahead of his time...
You almost have to wonder if he was trying to warn people.
     Red Skelton...the Prophet. - (bepatient) - (17)
         Why that changes everything. - (Brandioch) - (9)
             My my my. - (bepatient) - (8)
                 So, "prayer" is whatever you say it is? - (Brandioch) - (7)
                     WTF? - (bepatient) - (6)
                         Because you're ignorant, it's my fault? - (Brandioch) - (5)
                             Um... - (bepatient) - (4)
                                 But you said he was a "prophet". - (Brandioch) - (3)
                                     Yes you are. -NT - (bepatient) - (2)
                                         This thread is alot like that Monty Python Argument sketch - (rsf) - (1)
                                             OH! Oh! I'm sorry! This is abuse! -NT - (bepatient)
         Ain't propaganda Fun? - (Ashton) - (5)
             Nice to know... - (bepatient) - (4)
                 If that was a verbatim transcript Red S spoke on his show - - (Ashton) - (3)
                     Hmmm - (bepatient) - (2)
                         Thou Hast Chosen this-form of game IIRC - (Ashton) - (1)
                             I shall remember that. - (bepatient)
         Red Skelton...a man ahead of his time... - (Simon_Jester)

WoCFoC
337 ms