IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Legal question
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/marijuana/article242539891.html

So this legal process is based on interpreting the word "or" as it is settled among a bunch of other words. And it is based on something as a programmer we can obviously see is a poorly worded set of words. It seems like all these interpretations are based on poorly phrased Boolean logic.

To me it was obvious that the legislature simply wanted to list the variety of things that were possible as part of a marijuana business and didn't need to require it into a single vertical integrated business. They had no idea the implication of requiring a vertical business. Which in turn sets up tremendous barriers of entry so if anybody voted yes with that understanding they really didn't want it.

When they went from the constitutional amendment to implementing the law they converted an "or" to "shall". Which favors their rich buddies and disallows 99% of the competition.

So my question is why don't they just call the legislators in and quiz them on intent? We hear about the Supreme Court juggling original intent, and this is from a bunch of old dead people. They have the people who actually created the law, drag their ass in.

Another thing I just realized. The court system is a poorly designed language compiler. I know if I screw the Boolean logic in my code the logic of my program will screw up. But if I have a syntax error or something else that the compiler can figure out is wrong it will tell me. so when I code I have to design the logic first to get past the compiler and then actually do the job. If I have an obvious syntax error (which the vast majority of poorly phrased laws include) the compiler will find it.

We need a law compiler to catch this s*** early.

People who are creating laws are essentially designing the rules of our environment. But they have no idea if it actually will work in an environment until they are tested in the courts. And the courts are like compilers designed by different people. Different compilers produce different results and are in different ways. Different courts will do the same.
Expand Edited by crazy May 7, 2020, 10:55:28 AM EDT
Expand Edited by crazy May 7, 2020, 11:01:56 AM EDT
Expand Edited by crazy May 7, 2020, 11:11:04 AM EDT
New Without reading any more of the amendment or law than what’s quoted in the article ...
The amendment defines what a “treatment center” is, the law specifies what the treatment center must do in order to be licensed.

The law is clearly intended to benefit the big players, but that isn’t technically illegal.
--

Drew
New You could apply Sentence-2
to all the Nastiness, heaped-dead-bodies or just mangled ones: spawned by the sloppiness, incompleteness of the Second Amendment ..and maybe a few others.
... and a Bad-day-for-Brains in the mid-18th Century, I wot.

[I guess it isn't 'technically-illegal'] for a Liar-in-Chief role to be tacitly appended to that Presidential Oath thing, via similar logic--but what do I Know? (-fershure)
New Excellent {query} !!
Methinks that you have expanded--introducing much-needed clarity of non-bloviating substance, to the meme I've always 'cherished': "..the entire pseudo-'science' of The Law" [!]
(This is also evidence--re I.T. folk)--that Your ruminations while coding: indeed demand the er, perspicuity which hallow'ed-Literature demands--if it means to be 'Read'. Nice.

Believe I scoped this way-back to: Fred C. Rodell (once) Dean of Harvard Law (school).
Usually such succinct Damnation is hard to improve-on. Lay-On MacDuff! :-)
New I had to look up perspicuity
Voice dictate will not even recognize it. Google type prediction will not find it. But it is the perfect word.

My entire life I have strived for clarity. And that word encapsulates everything around why I would.

Thank you.
New Welcome! to our (diminishing...?) Club..
Ever since discovering The Tyranny of Words way-back [Stuart Chase, pub. 1935], a book meant to help a young relative towards ---> a Love-for-Language--I was smitten (too). (Apple's dictionary pop-up nails it as well). I recall first hearing a variant, perspicacity, "the quality of having a ready insight into things" (per Apple's dictionary): ..in a pitch for taking a Debate class, in H.S. (I merely audited--for tips), thinking that this was just sorta Warring-for-ego gratification (well, that idea but cruder--sans the future awareness of all the mental-states of homo-sap {ugh} which I was doomed to encounter, later).

There's satisfaction (not common satisfiction) in--where a situation Matters--'extirpating' {{Hah!}} just the exact-word, as Says what you hoped/meant!-to-say, I wot. The perpetually unCurious.. WORST-case: end up (actually 'down') ... sounding just like The Menace: obtuse, illiterate-and-proud-of-it, oily and Evul-to-boot.

(I reckon that I extirpate actual weeds in the A-class: get the bastards Out WITH-the-Roots, eh?)

Carrion:
it's one's vocabulary--if yer 40+ and gots the 9-yo cliche-collection of DJT--and many of his minions, oft caught en delicto flagrante
(y'know: like, smelling the bicycle seats of young gurrls? and other Drumpian EeUww!s as ought to make a sane man blush-to-hear)

;^>

PS: Wayback--when gangs of Dinosaurs roamed at IWE--in search of (evangelists-ready-for shearing?) I had noted that your epistles
--even re arcane IT-jargon :-0 were made fucking-Comprehensible even to moi. As I could see that this was ~a Principle of yours,
ingrained, thus.. a cohort within the War-against poorly-stated-BS-to impress, sans any illumination of The Problem at hand. See? you were Found-out :-þ
As raises prospects: shall the post-COVID world favor the mouth-breathers as %population or, veritable Adults ???
Expand Edited by Ashton May 8, 2020, 05:07:31 PM EDT
New A difficult thing to parse.
I remember being in court being quizzed about my actions. As both a programmer and a writer, I was aware they were playing games with the language, even if they might not have consciously chosen to. One question was basically "did you do this thing and then that thing?" Something made me realize a "yes" answer meant "yes I did both" when I had done only one - they were focussed on the "and then". So I answered "No, I did not do A then B".

Strange experience. They would not have appreciated a small English lecture but I'm pretty sure the lawyers and magistrate needed one.

Wade.
     Legal question - (crazy) - (6)
         Without reading any more of the amendment or law than what’s quoted in the article ... - (drook) - (1)
             You could apply Sentence-2 - (Ashton)
         Excellent {query} !! - (Ashton) - (2)
             I had to look up perspicuity - (crazy) - (1)
                 Welcome! to our (diminishing...?) Club.. - (Ashton)
         A difficult thing to parse. - (static)

Looks like I shouldn't have skipped putting on the third coat of sarcasm.
68 ms