IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Being large ! always = spending squillions on food.
IANAHP (I am not a health professional...)

It's the metabolism thing. Some people eat like horses and still look like a matchstick with the wood scraped off, others can put on weight seemingly just by breathing in air from the local DoubleMeat Palace, or whatever.

So it's not always Gluttony that's the problem. More often, it's Sloth. On the whole, finding time to exercise, and an exercise to do, is pretty easy. (really!) Trouble is, find an excuse not to exercise is much easier. Very generally speaking, slow metabolism people have to exercise more than fast metabolism people if they want to achieve and maintain a healthy weight. So for all the lard-carrying members of Club Big out there* ... deal with it.

I know I've spent much more on food than aeroplane trips though - I've only flown about 5 times in my life, and only once international :) (and FWIW I'm not ginormous and have no trouble fitting in a standard aeroplane / restaurant / theatre seat.)

But despite all that, expecting extra seat room for a problem that is (with sufficient willpower) fixable, is not right. Can't expect others to subsidise the laziness of the ordinary person. It's a special right available only to politicians :)

* yeah, according to the sums I'm currently in the 'borderline obese' chapter of Club Big :)
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New I am well aware of that
You can work up a couple of hundred pounds extra over an extended period of years by just adding a fraction of pound per week, which is hardly going to break the budget.

And then there are people with metabolic problems. In many cases, people who are on what would be a serious diet for anyone else will still gain weight. (My wife could give me a list of such conditions if I asked...) I have friends with problems like these, and would not trivialize them.

But strangely enough it seems that most grotesquely obese people (and people who need two seats on an airplane generally qualify) actually do like eating a lot, on a regular basis. Which is fine. Enjoy life, and may I suggest that you will find Paris singularly congenial to your tastes? However unless you can point to a specific medical condition which is causing your speific problem, don't look to me for sympathy over the results.

And somehow I feel singularly uninclined to give BryceJ the benefit of the doubt...

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
New Yeah I only have myself to blame
for not doing enough exercise. The fact I need to do a little more than average is a bummer, but as they say in the classics, 'deal with it'.

Same for all the other lard-arses out there.
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New Excercise is not the answer
(* On the whole, finding time to exercise, and an exercise to do, is pretty easy. (really!) *)

Bull!

It is unpleasent and time-consuming. A person might have 2 free hours in a day, and if they spend one on excercise, then they only have 1 free hour left. You might live say 30 percent longer, but you still have less *total* free hours in your life-time.

I tried excercising every day once, and only lost about 5 pounds before it plattowed [1](flattened out). If I extrapolate that, I would have to excercise about 3 hours a day to loose 20. (Anybody going to argue that it is not linear?)

[1] I hate f&(*&(* English. Fonetics or bust, dammit!

The problem is that we were created by evolution, and not some future-seeing God, who would otherwise adjust us for desk-work.

This excercise discipline thing is just a creationist conspiracy to deny the side-effects of darwinism. (Well, okay, I am exaggerating a bit.)

Our body is built with the assumption that we do physical work all fricken day, and that bulk equals surviving fammon and illness (and that we die at 38).

When food is scarce, being fat means getting laid more.
As a sucessful ex-lardy, I can safely say that watching your food intake is just as important. I'm flatlined now at ~210lbs, but it was amazing to watch that weight come off. My wife has lost quite a bit too, but she'd murder me if I posted hard stats. :)

As far as the exercise stats go - well, didn't we spend about 20 hours per week working when we were hunter/gatherer tribes? I doubt we spent much time exercising during our offtimes...
InThane - Now running Ashton rev 2.0
New Not always
I got a membership at the YMCA, and switched to regular food rather than junk food and fast food, and cut back on the salt, sugar, fats, carbs, and calories and even ate smaller portions. Guess what? I gained about 10 pounds this month alone!

Metabolism has a lot to do with it, I have a thin friend who can come over and eat 5 plates of Spahgetti at my house while I eat a 1/4th plate with vegatables. Guess who gains the weight (me), and guess who doesn't gain the weight (him)? It is all BS, it is about the person's metabolism and trying to get it to speed up. That is why diets and exercise fail for a lot of overweight people. Plus if they eat less and burn off the food, their bodies will think they are starving and slow down the metabolism even more to try and counter the starvation.

I've never met a diet and exercise plan that worked for me, never. I am 290 pounds now, and going on 300 soon.

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
New Bullshit
Either you have a serious medical problem for which you should see a doctor, or else your description of your circumstances left some important details out.

I would wager the latter.

Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
New Unexpected weight gain
Indeed, if it is as said, you really do need to see a doctor as soon as possible. I experienced an inordinate weight gain (I'm not sure if it took a month or how long it was - I don't weigh myself that regularly), but it was on the order of 20 pounds and was the result of a pretty serious problem.

[edit - naturally "you" isn't you, Ben.]

[edit - it did put me into the hospital for about ten days.]
Famous last RPG quotes: "I'll just shoot this fireball down the dungeon passageway..."
Expand Edited by wharris2 July 5, 2002, 10:03:20 AM EDT
New Unexpected weight changes are usually bad
I don't know what conditions are associated with weight gain, but my wife has mentioned repeatedly that unexplained weight loss is a red flag for cancer. (Cancer cells have, of course, a very high metabolism.)

Cheers,
Ben
--Richard Feynman
Expand Edited by ben_tilly July 6, 2002, 07:41:31 AM EDT
New Serious medical condition
which one? I have several of them.

I saw my doctor and he thinks it could be one of my medications side effects causing the weight gain. So he changed it on me.

But still I gain weight no matter what I do. In college I took a weight training class, instead of losing weight I gained a lot of weight. They said it must have been muscle mass as I was able to lift 600 pounds with my legs, etc. I worked out hard with weights, and I watched what I ate, and I followed everything I could for that class.

I have a serious medical condition, it is called a slow metabolism.

New slow metabolism
That doesn't make you constantly gain weight *that* fast. Even with a slow metabolism (and I'm not one of those skinny guys who can eat an entire pizza by themselves and remain skinny as a string bean, either), you still plateau at a point at which the slow metabolism will burn what you feed it. Oh, you may keep gaining every year (my parents and one of my grandmothers are like that), but not by leaps and bounds every month.

Dammit, why couldn't my father have inherited whatever "fast metabolism" gene his mother had? She was light as a bird for as long as I knew her despite the proverbial "meat and potatos" meals that made my grandfather somewhat overweight.

On the other side of the family, it was Grandfather who was the skinny guy and Grandmother who was the heavy one. The gene pool must have been stirred badly. :(
New Add in the perscriptions that I have
which say they can cause weight-gain to my slow metabolsim, and you will find that it causes quick weight-gain.

When I was in the hospital for depression, I was told that I wasn't eating enough. They almost thought I had an eating disorder, sometimes I didn't eat my food. But back then I was around 245 pounds, now I am around 290 pounds after the medicine I was given to fight depression was changed. I had it changed again and hope that I can get rid of some of this weight. If not, I have disability to consider if I go over 300 pounds. Being overweight has not helped my depression at all, and the doctor said it was not natrual and may be caused by the medicine.

I doubt I will fit into a plane seat anymore.

New Re: Add in the perscriptions that I have
I'm currently taking seven drugs every day. I sympathize with you. (Two are hard-core vitamins, one is a diuretic, I forget what the others are doing.)
Famous last RPG quotes: "I'll just shoot this fireball down the dungeon passageway..."
New Re: Not always
So, if exercise and eating less isn't the answer, just what the hell is?

Sorry, but either you're making it up or missing something out.

Straight question. Do you exercise at all?

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
     Plane seat discrimination - (tablizer) - (33)
         That isn't discrimination - (ben_tilly) - (25)
             Agree. - (a6l6e6x)
             Reasonable.. ___theoretically - (Ashton)
             Being large ! always = spending squillions on food. - (Meerkat) - (13)
                 I am well aware of that - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     Yeah I only have myself to blame - (Meerkat)
                 Excercise is not the answer - (tablizer) - (10)
                     Diet AND exercise is the answer. - (inthane-chan) - (9)
                         Not always - (orion) - (8)
                             Bullshit - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                                 Unexpected weight gain - (wharris2) - (1)
                                     Unexpected weight changes are usually bad - (ben_tilly)
                                 Serious medical condition - (orion) - (3)
                                     slow metabolism - (wharris2) - (2)
                                         Add in the perscriptions that I have - (orion) - (1)
                                             Re: Add in the perscriptions that I have - (wharris2)
                             Re: Not always - (pwhysall)
             Charging By Volume - (deSitter) - (7)
                 Good luck with your flight - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                     Dangerous flight - (broomberg) - (5)
                         Sometimes ya gotta.. - (Ashton)
                         I think I heard that one from you before... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                             Yeah, I think he stopped -NT - (broomberg)
                         Dangerous Ride - (deSitter)
                         The trick - (tablizer)
             Quatum Billing - (tablizer)
         seating on planes 36 in wide leg room 27 inches - (boxley) - (1)
             And FAA Standard Adult Weight = 170 pounds. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         No problems with a few larger seats. - (admin) - (1)
             Will shorties get discounts then? -NT - (tablizer)
         Long ago and far away - (wharris2) - (2)
             Bus ride from HELL. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                 Bus etiquette - (boxley)

I guess you can't gargle with it.
135 ms