..Another casualty of [n!]? Our species--long noted for cavalier extrapolations of [n] New! Techno! items is noted for its impatience with ... lengthy time-interval testing; 'R.O.I.' and similar aspects of capitalism. Combine that with say, how little it takes to Start wars which fail-to-End ... over decades. Maybe we just aren't smart enough to continue the current population growth (humans and their effects upon) the gazillions of essential flora/fauna which feed these ... and also handle the air/water/oxygen. MBAs don't even skim such matters.

(MayhapThe Year of the Jackpot could be rewritten?)--leaving out the Sun going all wonky--just some other aspect of the ∑ interconnected factors about which we perpetually remain neophytes at comprehending.
(I believe I'll continue to Sell Short)--'econ' + $$-lust have fried just too many brainz and the indicators suggest few epiphanies occurring amidst the millions of perps.
Self-government? now There's a neat idea! ... had we the generations to get started on that. (We don't do 'Scale' at all well; never mind 'Relativity'--it doesn't work for beginners), though sometimes we get lucky for a time.

Hope I'm flat-rong, natch; looking back at a slue [just in my lifetime] of Catastrophies self-caused ... does not guarantee a future of similarr ilk ..but the Odds are there for all to see (and grumble or ..just go La-La-llLa, eh?

Carrion then, whether glyco- or psycho- sorts of root causes. (I no algorithm, alas).