IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Another Scott: re a long ago defense of Round-Up
One liitle factoid came up en passant today:

Glycophosphates kill tons of milkweed, easy-peasy.
Monarch butterflies Need milkweed. To survive; nothing else has the essential ingredients.
As their numbers plummet (along with even Technical-IQs, too-often) via Big-Pharma, and loss of the crop and land taken for the usual reasons.

Well, You. Know.
At least 'Environmental Action' noticed. Just another add-to-Listicle comment, buried amidst the noise. Few will see this Reminder.

(Revised your terse dismissal of the brouhaha on this chemical, yet?) Not that yours or my take on the issue has as much power as a butterfly wing.

Carrion ... it's always in The Details.
Expand Edited by Ashton Dec. 9, 2019, 01:50:33 AM EST
New PNAS
https://www.pnas.org/content/116/17/8093.full

I'm no expert, life is complicated, and there are rarely single factors involved.

In PNAS, Saunders et al. (1) employ a hierarchical set of statistical models and variable selection to construct a predictive set of population input and environmental variables for winter colony sizes in Mexico. Due to limitations in availability of individual-colony census data, the authors focus their analysis on the years 2004 to 2015, which has two important implications (Fig. 1). First, this temporal window is after the large-scale adoption of genetically modified herbicide-tolerant crops (and corresponding herbicide use) topped out; thus, herbicide usage was no longer increasing. Second, this is the same window when the monarch population (as censused in Mexico) experienced the steepest and most persistent decline in recorded history, with the all-time low recorded in 2013 (Fig. 1). Saunders et al. report that winter abundances can be predicted by variation in the input of summer breeding monarchs, in addition to variation in an index of flower nectar availability (during the southern migration) and forest patch size (at the overwintering sites).

Monarchs use a wide variety of flowers for nectar, and milkweed is typically no longer flowering during the migration; therefore, the findings of Saunders et al. (1) support a long-standing but previously untested hypothesis of floral nectar limitation. The impact of overwintering forest cover at colony sites has also been suspected to be critically limiting to monarchs, but only recently has a quantitative link been made showing the limiting effects of degraded forests (12). From these factors, it can be concluded that during the decade of the steepest declines in monarchs, climate and its impacts on availability of floral nectar and the continued degradation of Mexican forests were critical factors. Nonetheless, why the summer breeding population of monarchs plummeted during the years 2004 to 2015 is still being debated. Was it a delayed response to the biofuel boom and enhanced usage of herbicides? Was it the 100-y drought experienced in Texas, which is a critical spring and fall bottleneck? Or was it some combination of stresses?

In the second study in PNAS, Boyle et al. (2) take the temporal long view, examining monarch and milkweed dynamics over the past 116 y. The extraordinary approach was to employ tens of thousands of museum records of both monarchs and milkweeds as indices of their population sizes. Although this approach will surely be criticized for all sorts of limitations, it importantly brings an entirely new set of data, and one of tremendous temporal depth, to the table. Boyle et al.’s key conclusion is that the monarch decline began over 60 y ago and was concordant with the abandonment of small-scale farms (which served as a reservoir for milkweeds). This result is concordant with the long-term decline of monarchs in California supported by observational data remarkably collected by a single researcher over a 45-y period (13). Such multidecadal declines have important implications, the first of which is that no single recent event, such as the advent of genetically modified crops, can be implicated in monarch declines. Indeed, a blue-ribbon panel of the National Academy of Sciences in 2016 came to this same conclusion about genetically modified crops and monarch butterflies (14).

Perhaps more importantly, the whole of land-use change, including agricultural practices, chemical inputs, habitat fragmentation, pollution, development, disturbance, and so forth, is what has been incrementally creeping up over the last century. Which of the many aspects of this long-term environmental crumbling is responsible for monarch declines is unclear. To me, one of the most disturbing findings of Boyle et al.’s study (2) is the strong and persistent declines of eight milkweed species over several decades. The common weedy milkweeds (Asclepias syriaca and A. speciosa) have enjoyed the benefits of agriculturalization through soil disturbance, fertilization, and creation of ditches resulting in larger populations. However, the nonweedy Asclepias, numbering well over 100 species in North America, appear to be in trouble.

There are lots of people trying to figure out what's going on, and how to increase their chances of survival. Even doing things like studying mortality as a result of traffic collisions (apparently they're concentrated into small corridors in Mexico that cross highways).

I'm no fan of Monsanto/Bayer. But ...

Cheers,
Scott.
New Complexification.. indeed.
..Another casualty of [n!]? Our species--long noted for cavalier extrapolations of [n] New! Techno! items is noted for its impatience with ... lengthy time-interval testing; 'R.O.I.' and similar aspects of capitalism. Combine that with say, how little it takes to Start wars which fail-to-End ... over decades. Maybe we just aren't smart enough to continue the current population growth (humans and their effects upon) the gazillions of essential flora/fauna which feed these ... and also handle the air/water/oxygen. MBAs don't even skim such matters.

(MayhapThe Year of the Jackpot could be rewritten?)--leaving out the Sun going all wonky--just some other aspect of the ∑ interconnected factors about which we perpetually remain neophytes at comprehending.
(I believe I'll continue to Sell Short)--'econ' + $$-lust have fried just too many brainz and the indicators suggest few epiphanies occurring amidst the millions of perps.
Self-government? now There's a neat idea! ... had we the generations to get started on that. (We don't do 'Scale' at all well; never mind 'Relativity'--it doesn't work for beginners), though sometimes we get lucky for a time.

Hope I'm flat-rong, natch; looking back at a slue [just in my lifetime] of Catastrophies self-caused ... does not guarantee a future of similarr ilk ..but the Odds are there for all to see (and grumble or ..just go La-La-llLa, eh?

Carrion then, whether glyco- or psycho- sorts of root causes. (I no algorithm, alas).
     Another Scott: re a long ago defense of Round-Up - (Ashton) - (2)
         PNAS - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Complexification.. indeed. - (Ashton)

At the tone, the time will be...
76 ms