IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Alcohol kills.
Most people think of drunk driving when they see this phrase, but alcohol is a silent, solitary killer as well.

My little sister died this Christmas after losing her battle with alcohol dependency.

If you know someone who drinks a lot, or if you do yourself, get some help.

It's a depressing message over the holidays but a necessary one.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New I no words.
If your eloquent Truths aren't enough where they apply ... Pity the auditor.

{{Hugs}} sent; such an un-Imaginable Loss. Take care of yourself and the others.
New It sure can!
My grandfather, whom I never knew, died when my father was only 3 y/o. So, you can easily say my father never knew my grandfather either. He was an alcoholic.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New so sorry :-(
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Our condolences to you and the family :-(
New An interesting NY Times opinion article.
The Patriarchy of Alcoholics Anonymous

It basically explains how Alcoholics Anonymous was established in the 1930s for religious white guys and often does not work for others and especially women.

It ends with:

Women are the fastest-growing demographic becoming dependent on alcohol, which means we’re on our way to being a majority of participants of recovery programs. There’s no question that we need help. But we don’t need to give up our power.

And, I'm sorry to have approached the topic in such a detached manner. I know that you are going through a difficult time accepting what has happened. You have my sympathy.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Sorry
Simple as that.

On the other hand, "help" for this situation is 1920s voodoo for the vast majority of programs. I should know, I've experienced it twice, once as a true believer and then with my eyes wide open.

Keep in mind, the 1st time was at age 18, and I requested it, time to grow up. 2nd time court ordered, because let's face it, use of hallucinogenic drugs on a bimonthly basis is a perfectly rational reason the send someone to an AA based rehab, and then use it as a basis to have years of forced meetings.

If I didn't find an AA sponsor I'd have been sent to jail. That's the same as telling me to join a church and if they didn't believe me CLANG.

https://12stepcultreligionexposed.wordpress.com/2018/07/09/orange-papers-archive-here/
New Thanks.. pretty-much exactamente.
A cerebral illumination of that phenom, bolstering my own acquired-take on their M.O.
[as: ~ the dis-US' Puritan legacy again, that which morphs so many serious matters into ... a fucking-Catechism-for-the terminally-credulous].
Proof? The Mega-Church {2016: MAGA-church?} and its billionaire wallet-shearing $hepards.

Enochlophobia, Agoraphobia refined to, "the fear of and desire to avoid situations wherein one believes s/he may be subjected to incapacitation, humiliation" etc).
Ya needs ta grok lots of BIg-words to survive in this Tiny-minded asylum. And you have the Chops of actual {ugh} Experience, YPB.
New Re: Sorry
I thunk (based on nothing much, I must admit) that AA worked (kindasorta) if you were in its target audience: white, Christian, fallen-middle-class/upper-working-class/possibly-ex-military, mostly male.
New And within that group not very well
There are no stats and they lie about success rates.
New So sorry to hear. Deepest condolences to you and yours.
Same thing happened to a friend's sister.

Addiction is a right bastard.
New The universal personality solvent
Alcoholism has been all over my family to greater or lesser degrees. Some of us have managed better than others: my old man went cold turkey decades before his death; my mother, well, god knows which of her vices finally took her out at seventy. My generation copes, now better, now worse.

I have a little sister, and I think she’s on the safer side of the sibling spectrum. I am sorry about yours.

cordially,
New I'm so sorry, Scott.
New I tried to come up with something helpful to say, but failed.
As a surviving older brother of a younger sibling, I believe I can empathize - at least, somewhat. But I cannot offer any words of comfort. I am very sorry for your loss. If the two of you were close, this is going to be a protracted period of sorrow for you. Time, more than any words, is an ineffective balm, but the only one available.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
Expand Edited by mmoffitt Jan. 3, 2020, 08:40:41 AM EST
New Thanks everyone, I appreciate the kind words.
With respect to getting help, I mean anything: acknowledgement of the problem, support, whatever works.

My sister apparently spent a large percentage of her adult life struggling under financial hardship, health issues, and addiction, all slathered with a heaping portion of embarrassment and inability to admit anything was wrong at all. If we had known we could have helped.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Belated but heartfelt condolences. And thanks for the tip... (hopefully not acutely needed).
     Alcohol kills. - (malraux) - (15)
         I no words. - (Ashton)
         It sure can! - (a6l6e6x)
         so sorry :-( -NT - (boxley)
         Our condolences to you and the family :-( -NT - (scoenye)
         An interesting NY Times opinion article. - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
             Sorry - (crazy) - (3)
                 Thanks.. pretty-much exactamente. - (Ashton)
                 Re: Sorry - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     And within that group not very well - (crazy)
         So sorry to hear. Deepest condolences to you and yours. - (pwhysall)
         The universal personality solvent - (rcareaga)
         I'm so sorry, Scott. -NT - (jake123)
         I tried to come up with something helpful to say, but failed. - (mmoffitt)
         Thanks everyone, I appreciate the kind words. - (malraux)
         Belated but heartfelt condolences. And thanks for the tip... (hopefully not acutely needed). -NT - (CRConrad)

Press F1 to continue, or F2 for setup.
87 ms