IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I tried doing something like that in Germany a few years ago.
It was a disaster. It was mainly a data SIM. The kB were used up before I got out of the airport, somehow. :-/

Given the way they have tried to clamp down on "burner phones" and the like, and the fact that you need a US address (and US payments) to set up an account here, and the fact that I don't think I've seen any signs of "cheap SIMs here!" anywhere in ages, I'd suggest just biting the bullet and getting a month of international calling/data on your existing plan.

I could very well be wrong though - don't take this as gospel.

(I recently changed from T-Mobile to Google Fi because I'll be going to Japan next month and don't want the hassle. Just get off the plane and the phone 'just works'. So far, it's been great, but I haven't been out of the country yet.)

Check around, but you're likely to be disappointed.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New I have international roam already.
It's pretty flexible; each day I use roaming data there is a per-day charge and a per-day data limit, which is good for very light usage. If I hit the limit, there's another automatic charge which gives me a lot more data which I then have a month to use up (if I've understood the website correctly). Sort of self-tiering access. I actually intend to do this if I can't find enough Wifi.

I was mainly interested in whether I could use a local SIM to acquire a US phone number but it sounds difficult. I need to organise a transit card when I land anyway so I'll also ask there about a pre-paid SIM card.

Wade.
     Quick question about US SIM cards. - (static) - (6)
         I tried doing something like that in Germany a few years ago. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             I have international roam already. - (static)
         tracphone is your friend - (boxley) - (1)
             Have to wait 'till I get there to use that URL! - (static)
         Does your carrier not have a roaming option? - (pwhysall) - (1)
             I do... but... - (static)

So I pulled into a Shell station. They said I'd blown a seal. I said, "Fix the damn thing and leave my private life out of it, OK, pal??"
61 ms