IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Quick question about US SIM cards.
I'm going to be in SF in a few days and I'm thinking of getting a US SIM pre-paid card. (I have a situation where having a US number would be very useful.) I'd be using it for a little bit of data mostly, but being able to be called or messaged would be very useful. I'd use it again when I'm Austin later in the year for work.

Is this a good idea? I'd need to be able to recharge the card online so that the number keeps working.

Wade.
New I tried doing something like that in Germany a few years ago.
It was a disaster. It was mainly a data SIM. The kB were used up before I got out of the airport, somehow. :-/

Given the way they have tried to clamp down on "burner phones" and the like, and the fact that you need a US address (and US payments) to set up an account here, and the fact that I don't think I've seen any signs of "cheap SIMs here!" anywhere in ages, I'd suggest just biting the bullet and getting a month of international calling/data on your existing plan.

I could very well be wrong though - don't take this as gospel.

(I recently changed from T-Mobile to Google Fi because I'll be going to Japan next month and don't want the hassle. Just get off the plane and the phone 'just works'. So far, it's been great, but I haven't been out of the country yet.)

Check around, but you're likely to be disappointed.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New I have international roam already.
It's pretty flexible; each day I use roaming data there is a per-day charge and a per-day data limit, which is good for very light usage. If I hit the limit, there's another automatic charge which gives me a lot more data which I then have a month to use up (if I've understood the website correctly). Sort of self-tiering access. I actually intend to do this if I can't find enough Wifi.

I was mainly interested in whether I could use a local SIM to acquire a US phone number but it sounds difficult. I need to organise a transit card when I land anyway so I'll also ask there about a pre-paid SIM card.

Wade.
New tracphone is your friend
https://shop.tracfone.com/shop/en/tracfonestore/phones use 95309 (somewhere in CA) for a zip code
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Have to wait 'till I get there to use that URL!
But thanks!
New Does your carrier not have a roaming option?
I'm on Three in the UK, and they have a "feel at home" thing whereby in certain countries (predominantly the US and Europe, possibly Oz/NZ also - CBA to check) you just use your phone normally. Calls back to the UK (and local calls, in Europe) are still taken out of your allowance, data ditto. So in my case, unlimited talk and texts, 12GB data.

Oh, Australian carrier. lol etc. Carry on :D

ETA: http://www.three.co.uk/go-roam
Expand Edited by pwhysall April 26, 2019, 02:02:27 AM EDT
New I do... but...
And as another reply I made, I intend to use my roaming (though lightly).

But I have a use-case where a US number is needed and although I don't need to exercise that use-case, it would make something else convenient. So I'm exploring options.

Wade.
     Quick question about US SIM cards. - (static) - (6)
         I tried doing something like that in Germany a few years ago. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             I have international roam already. - (static)
         tracphone is your friend - (boxley) - (1)
             Have to wait 'till I get there to use that URL! - (static)
         Does your carrier not have a roaming option? - (pwhysall) - (1)
             I do... but... - (static)

(This message was left blank.)
165 ms