IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New 1.5
Yesterday, my son arrived to his viola lesson with the principal violist of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra (we're very lucky to have secured him as a teacher) to find that his teacher had brought in 4 additional violas for some reason.

Teacher: "Do you want to try this one?"
Son: "Sure."

My son tried it out, had a few issues with the scale he attempted because it was a 16" viola instead of the 15.5" one he plays. The intervals are slightly larger.

T: "What do you think?"
S: "Well, it's ok, hard to tell if the sound is like that because of the viola or because it's just larger."
T: "How much do you think this instrument costs?"
S: "No idea?"
T: "1.5"
Mom: "150? or 1500?"

Nope. As in one and a half million dollars... and he let a 15yo try it out.

It doesn't belong to his teacher either, just on loan to the symphony or something.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New I don't know if it's still the case, but that used to be common.
Out in LA in the 1970's, almost none of the first and second stands in the Symphony Orchestras owned their own instruments. They were virtually all on loan from wealthy individuals who didn't play, often weren't Americans and only purchased them as investments. Even back then, these were multi-million dollar instruments.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Oh, he owns his own instruments as well.
I think they were in the $40-80K range. He thinks that in 20-30 years these will be the instruments that are sought after because the quality of a modern instrument with modern techniques and material is so much better than the old ones. The Strads are all starting to fall apart because instruments have a lifetime.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New So very-Sad that last; they live ... they {sob} Die, just like ..whole species do.
(especially under the 'stewardship' of ... ..well, you know.)

Ah well.. while there is "Bach Stradivarius" [model!] brass.. I got to handle the Curtois™ trumpet of [*my*] trumpet-God: Sergei Nakariakov {sigh} Had he been wearing a toga, I'd have kissed the hem (though that might have freaked him out.. so I hope I Wouldn't-have.)

Nice to hear though that the Kapitalist-'owners' of these instruments [Many? of these nice-guys, I wonder] do good while helping Selves: believe it's true that wooden instruments need to be played.. to keep the sap-blood Happy (?)

Thanks for what--later on in his years--your son may recall THAT as a Bitchin! experience!! :-)
New I misspoke.
Of course they all had their own instruments back then. I meant that they didn't often perform with them.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
     1.5 - (malraux) - (4)
         I don't know if it's still the case, but that used to be common. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
             Oh, he owns his own instruments as well. - (malraux) - (2)
                 So very-Sad that last; they live ... they {sob} Die, just like ..whole species do. - (Ashton)
                 I misspoke. - (mmoffitt)

Whosoever shall run XVGA, and cause it to display a multitude of hues, there shall the beaver soon make his home. Let it be written - let it be so.
72 ms