IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 2 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Who says Macs are cheaper to own and operate than Wintel?
Gartner Group, that's who:

[link|http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0206/13.deal.php|MacWorld Article]

"Macs are up to 36 per cent more cost-effective than competing Wintel products"

Well, I knew that had to be the case all along.

Brian Bronson
New One of the reasons for that

..is that Mac users generally do their own support for most stuff. From my own perspective, that's because most Mac problems tend to be fairly simple and solved by things like:

- rebuilding the desktop
- zapping the PRAM
- trashing preference files
- booting with extensions disabled
- <might be more but I can't recall>

In OS X, the self-service lore hasn't reached such a level of refinement yet. (however, sites like www.macosxhints.com are making a great start.)

I responded to this because I ran into an OS 9 issue this morning. I booted into 9 on my tower for the first time in months (never mind why) and decided to run Software Update. After it ran and installed several packages, it reported an error and advised me to look at the software log. At that point, I couldn't boot into 9 without the video going all wonky on me, completely out of sync.

I booted off my DiskWarrior CD, trashed the System, Finder and General preference files, rebooted and all was well. Strangely enough, I felt a warm glow of nostalgia which really made my day. Ah, to be young again....

Tom Sinclair
"Subverting Young Minds Since 03/13/2000"
New Their own support
plus most Windows users would rather have the company they bought it from do the tech support. For Mac Users, the only company they have to contact is Apple for the System, The OS, and the bundled software. Meanwhile Joe Sixpack who bought a Dell has to go to Dell, Microsoft, AOL/Netscape, etc for support and they all blame each other and brush him off. This is because nobody wants to take responsibility for their own products anymore, unless the customer is paying them a lot of money to support it.

TCOO - Total Cost Of Ownership.

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
     Who says Macs are cheaper to own and operate than Wintel? - (bbronson) - (2)
         One of the reasons for that - (tjsinclair) - (1)
             Their own support - (orion)

And there was much rejoicing... yayyyyy.
40 ms