IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New After a delay, Yale does the right thing.
NY Times: Calhoun Who? Yale Drops Name of Slavery Advocate for Computer Pioneer
On Tuesday, beneath the dolphin’s fearsome eye, Yale’s president and the Navy’s chief of operations will make speeches, a chaplain will offer a blessing, and a secret ceremonial object will be unveiled.

With that, Yale’s Calhoun College, named for John C. Calhoun — a vice president, senator from South Carolina, and founding forefather of the Civil War — will recede further into the New Haven university’s past. The gothic stone building, one of the 14 residential colleges where undergraduates live and eat, will be dedicated as Hopper College, after Rear Adm. Grace Murray Hopper, a boundary-smashing computer pioneer and naval officer. The dolphin on the Hopper College shield is a nod to her maritime career.
She earned a Ph.D. in mathematics from Yale in 1934.

Grace Hopper has been one of my geek heroes. My favorite story about her is the giving of pieces of wire to her audience so they would know what a nanosecond was. A Youtube video shows her doing that.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Good illustration of "orders of magnitude" too
--

Drew
New Yeh, dragged-by-feet, kicking & screaming
smack-dab into the 2017 dis-U.S.A., that Clusterfuck: now so Loud that.. it quite drowns out
their Traditional rationalizations on this, on "the 'Monuments'" ..plus the rest of that patter-of-tradition.

Love. It.
New Well done.
When I was in college, I was taught that standard RG-58/U 50 ohm coax delay was "2/3 of a foot per nanosecond". It stuck with me.

(The signal speed in a real cable is less than c.)

Cheers,
Scott.
New (I prefer 'visual' over umm, tangible?)
Stage scenery:

A) Tektronix Model 284 TD/tunnel-diode fast-pulser, claimed 70 PICO-second tr aka Rise-time.
B) Tek 7854 nom. 400 MHz scope (first Successful design w/BOTH fast single-shot analogue and with digital storage, analysis etc.)
(Mine specs out at ~500 MHz. Fastest time-base has a "200 Psec/DIV" position.

One Looks: at the display (..and can factor-in the 70 pSec source) displayed at 550 pSec scope tr
One Sees! that Half-a-Nanosec step-change, occurring over a couple cm. of the 10-cm. sweep length.

Por moi then, it's just a lot more stirring of the analytical-Soul on Visual -vs- that piece of wire-in-hand.
'Course the equipment cost is not insignificant, compared with "zero".. .... details, details.
But, either Will Do ... to bring home the Mystery that
[there is Anything at All which appears through 'the sides?' of our goldfish bowl.]
Message to Cosmos: Encore! Encore!
New You made me think of "my" Tektronix 545B with a dual trace module.
Nothing as good like what you're talking about that, but in the early sixties it was the cat's meow! It came with a roll of silver solder.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Yeah.. vas dere, Charlie
When I thought to do some Audio flogging (so's to get my Own better gear) I got a demo==call-it-New 503,
a paltry 500 KHz (!) BW, but with the display, triggering etc. of Tek built-in.

Lab rife with 545s (maybe -Bs also, but not in Our bailiwick.) So I arabesqued the vacuum-tube era ..never having seen, turned knobs of the 547, as progress -->Happened (well, at Tek anyway.)
(Even at Lab when first I arrived, the Electron Synchrotron had execrable == pre-Tek scopes) I recall Our first shiny 545 and Oohh ing over a Real "time base" (not yer Gramma's Theremin-with-pots/potentiometers.)

I wonder if you Can become conversant with electronics ... via simulators as so-fit-the Game-mentality now purporting to render obsolescent: EXPERIMENT!
Believe that baby already went out with other shades of bath-water

Get OFF my transistorized-LAWN! {{sigh}}
     After a delay, Yale does the right thing. - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
         Good illustration of "orders of magnitude" too -NT - (drook)
         Yeh, dragged-by-feet, kicking & screaming - (Ashton)
         Well done. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             (I prefer 'visual' over umm, tangible?) - (Ashton) - (2)
                 You made me think of "my" Tektronix 545B with a dual trace module. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     Yeah.. vas dere, Charlie - (Ashton)

Mmmm... Flavored Beer.
108 ms