IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I done got a new dog
He's a rescue lurcher, about a year old, called Freddie; he's a solid 75% whippet by volume, I reckon. He certainly has the calm and gentle temperament for which the breed is known.

He matches the sofa, and is proper dog-shaped. Fortunately he likes the beach. We're moving to the coast, so he'd have to get used to it anyway. He's also getting on well (ish) with our existing dog.

New Gorgeous dog!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New and a doggone stunner, to boot.
(Love the quip on the tag, have to steal that..)

Believe I'm safe in assuming that you did not set out to find a sofa-matching guy, but this pairing underscores your luck-of-the-draw;
most glad that you got him from a Shelter too, which makes this a most serendipitous quest, eh?

Looks from here like a simple case of Wonderfulness all around, what with their already being snoozing buddies,
all topped off with (we bloody-well expect) bitchin photog work..

Haven't seen an er. emoji which adequately portrays Wonderfulness.
New Nice. Wishing you many years of walkies together.
New Have you mentioned this on the book of face?
I could swear I already knew about him.
--

Drew
New Once or twice
or a billion times, yes.
New Wonderful!
Looks like they're going to be fast friends, too.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Fast is right (ba dum tish)
You don't realise how fast they are (fastest-accelerating dogs from zero to 30-35MPH, bar none; only a handful are outright faster, with the greyhound being fastest of all at ~45MPH) until you chuck a ball and they go after it.

Also, a good ball chucker is essential if you don't want a throwing arm that feels like it's going to fall off.

Although they're fast, they're shit at stopping though :D

This is representative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hcczi7yg4mE

I'd recommend a whippet or lurcher to anyone as a pet dog; less huge than a greyhound, not as fragile as an italian greyhound. They're very gentle with people and only need a short but intense exercise session rather than the miles of walking that other dogs benefit from. Their low-maintenance coats don't shed a lot (although they do shed), they are more-or-less free from serious health issues (basically watch for bloat and that's about it). They have proper dog faces (no brachycephalic issues here*!) and are easy to train (although recall is a challenge; sighthounds gonna sight). They do require sofa rights, though, so if you don't like dogs on the furniture, they're not for you.

* Fuck pugs and other flat-faced dogs, tbh. I have a whole other rant about the morality of breeding an animal that is born to suffer for solely cosmetic reasons. Even some working breeds are heading towards fucked - GSDs and dobermann pinschers, frexample.
New The forelegs look all wonky
They're fast as hell but they don't look graceful doing it. Especially when they're turning.
--

Drew
New My sister has had a few greyhounds
One got loose and disappeared for a few minutes, visibly red-shifted* as he sped away.

I agree on the pugs and such. I also find them ugly as hell regardless of the moral complaints.

* Well, maybe not visibly, but certainly audibly. :-)
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New fast bugger according to his films
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
     I done got a new dog - (pwhysall) - (10)
         Gorgeous dog! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         and a doggone stunner, to boot. - (Ashton)
         Nice. Wishing you many years of walkies together. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Have you mentioned this on the book of face? - (drook) - (1)
             Once or twice - (pwhysall)
         Wonderful! - (malraux) - (3)
             Fast is right (ba dum tish) - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 The forelegs look all wonky - (drook)
                 My sister has had a few greyhounds - (malraux)
         fast bugger according to his films -NT - (boxley)