IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New "Butter, steak and coconut oil won't kill you"
This is the title of an op-ed article in the Los Angeles Times (07-23-2017) which is in agreement with many other recent studies of the same data on which the American Heart Association bases their saturated fat - cholesterol witch hunt.

The AHA issued in June 2017 a new report reinforcing their stance on saturated fats. It is based on severely cherry picked parts of the data and considering all the data would show their position is false. This began with famous physiologist Ancel Keys, who ignored whole sections of major studies that didn't support his predetermined saturated fats = heart disease theory.

The AHA has no care whatever for your health - their only concern is fund raising. They like a simplistic, easy to tell story, even if based on bad data analysis. Today they are promoting a reduction of salt to a level salt metabolism experts consider very dangerous. This, however, won't kill anyone except a few fanatics because this level is nearly impossible to achieve in daily life.

They had to back off a bit on their vendetta against Cholesterol (particularly eggs and shrimp) because it became too well known it was entirely bunk - but they still bring it up as a subscript to their saturated fat story.

Through their incessant support of Trans Fats, the AHA is thought by some to have killed more people than Hitler. This support is because their founding funding, and much sustaining funding, was from Crisco, first major trans fat product - thus trans fats must be healthy. I checked their Web site and they were still promoting Trans Fats when New York was moving to ban them as known to be the most dangerous fats you can consume.

Proctor & Gamble dumped Crisco like a hot potato when the danger of trans fats became too public. The current owner of Crisco has developed a no trans fats formula which cooks say works as well as the original version. It's a mix of polyunsaturated oils and fully hydrogenated oils (trans fats are partially hydrogenated). fully hydrogenated fats are also known as "saturated fats", but they can still call it made from "100% vegetable oils".

AHA funding continues to be mostly from the vegetable oils manufacturers, thus the continued hard core vilification of saturated fats, despite the evidence.

In actual research, it has been shown that the depredation of Canola Oil on rat hearts (lesions) can be countered by including an adequate intake of saturated fats. This is born out by demographics in China, where heart lesions from mustard oil (canola is a modified mustard oil) occur only in times of severe famine when there is inadequate saturated fat in the diet.

Polyunsaturated fats (Omega-6, vegetable oils) are now suspected of having serious adverse effects on health. The health benefits of Omega-3 fats (also polyunsaturated) are still controversial, especially since Omega-3s are quickly turned rancid (possibly carcinogenic) by processing and cooking temperatures.

Fortunately, back in the early '60s I rejected the AHA's advice and stuck with Olive Oil and Butter, not based on science but on flavor and tradition. I have an important vegetarian and nutrition cookbook from that time (Laurel's Kitchen) that warned us not to use Olive Oil because the AHA denounced its significant saturated fat content. Olive Oil is not a vegetable oil, it's a fruit oil, as is similarly healthy Avocado Oil.

In my opinion, the American Heart Association is a criminal organization.
New And that doesn't even mention much needed choline.
What’s the Big Deal About Choline?
In Dr. Zeisel’s first experiment with humans, he fed men and women a diet deficient in choline. Most men and postmenopausal women became ill when deprived of choline.

Their bodies weren’t able to produce their own choline and they began to experience liver problems: fatty liver accumulation and liver cell death. These problems reversed within a few days of reintroducing choline to their diet.
o o o
Clearly, it’s important to get enough choline in your body. Foods that are high in fat and cholesterol are also generally high in choline. That means eggs and meat, particularly beef (418mg of choline per 100g) and chicken liver (290mg/100g), are the best dietary sources of choline.

Don’t despair vegans, as wheat germ (152mg/100g) is also a good source of choline. You can also take a choline supplement, like CDP Choline.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New We had a fracas about cholesterol a year or two ago.
I might've mentioned it here. Science journalist did a big piece about cholesterol and saturated fats and basically asked if we're prescribing statins to too many people.

Said journalist had, unfortunately, let her advocacy get in the way of good journalism and the piece was rather a mess. This was why she got in to a lot of hot water, especially when she did it again on a very different topic. That second time ended her career with that broadcaster.

However, what I actually wanted to say was that buried in the first report was some genuine science about saturated fats. Which the premier medical journalist for the same broadcaster publicly debunked and was in favour of more people taking statins! He lost quite a lot of credibility in my eyes for that, which was a shame as he is a very good radio interviewer.

Wade.
     "Butter, steak and coconut oil won't kill you" - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
         And that doesn't even mention much needed choline. - (a6l6e6x)
         We had a fracas about cholesterol a year or two ago. - (static)

It’s always projection with these guys.
59 ms