IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Roy used to be my favorite player.
I grew up in Southern California in the 1960's. Not xactly what you'd call "hockey falls". Really got hooked when Roy won the Cup with the Habs - and, coincidentally, that's the year I became an avid Leafs fan - should have been the Habs and the Leafs, not the Kings and the Habs that year.

You could say that hearing Davidson yell, "PATRICK ROY!" on every save is what turned me into a hockey nut. Still, a guy who hits his wife, ... I can't get over that. I've been married almost 20 years and I know how pissed off you can get at your wife, but you still don't hit her, ever.

The DJ thing, there was a lawsuit, basically Roy and friends showed their asses after winning the Cup, threatened a DJ (after the poor shlock had kept open after hours for them - tried to close, they were still wanting to party, you can imagine the rest; lawsuit filed, settled, that's that).

And what absolutely kills me is the credit that idiot coach of theirs gets. Jesus Christ! You give me, ME access to that much money to buy the best and I'll kiss your ass if I don't win the Cup 3 years out of 4.
New Re: Roy used to be my favorite player.
For the record; He never hit his wife. He broke a door during an argument. He *was* angry, and she did call the police. Colorado domestic violence laws require 1) charges to be filed if the police are called, and 2) the couple to be separated for a day.
[link|http://www.jocksncops.com/jocksncops/jc_playerdata.asp?68|jocksncops]
[link|http://www.quebecoislibre.org/001028-12.htm|quebecois article]
[link|http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news/ap/20010307/ap-avalanche-royviolence.html|yahoo sports]

Can't find anything about the DJ incident, hadn't heard of that one before.

-----
Steve
New Re: Roy used to be my favorite player.
> I grew up in Southern California in the 1960's. Not xactly what you'd
> call "hockey falls". Really got hooked when Roy won the Cup with the Habs -
> and, coincidentally, that's the year I became an avid Leafs fan - should have
> been the Habs and the Leafs, not the Kings and the Habs that year.

How does a Californian become a Leaf fan? Especially at the time when the hockey they were playing was boring. I mean, don't get me wrong, it was great that they were *FINALLY* winning but the actual hockey was like watching paint dry. As for that matchup, don't get me started on what should have been... :-)

> And what absolutely kills me is the credit that idiot coach of theirs gets.
> Jesus Christ! You give me, ME access to that much money to buy the best and
> I'll kiss your ass if I don't win the Cup 3 years out of 4.

We've all seem teams ladden with talent and yet fail to win anything. The Baltimore Orioles, New York Rangers, Atlanta Braves (recently) and the LA Lakers (prior to the last two seasons and do you honestly think the team would be doing as well as it has if Phil Jackson wasn't there keeping Shaq and Kobe playing nicely together?)

An excellent coach can make an okay team better, a good team excellent and an excellent team unstoppable. It would be very rare that you'd be able to stick a stiff of a coach on a team and have them perform well. Athletes have far too many different agendas and playing styles for that.

As for betting, I take cash from men. Any kissing I leave for women. :-)
lister
New Tradition.
I played golf in college, and was an Assistant Pro in California and for about a year in North Carolina. I don't play much at all anymore (iirc, it's been about over a year - heh, just remembered, it was 2 years ago the week-end after Father's Day, won a charity tournament my last time out. Nothing big, easy field and a 73 was good enough for low gross - by a shot). Anyway, I still play with 1966 Wilson Staff irons (original shafts, Neumann calfskin grips), my driver is a steel shafted persimmon wing back MacGregor circa 1951 and my 3-wood is a steel shafted persimmon Tommy Armour 653 (yep, I play lefty) circa approx. 1952. Could I score better with the new stuff? Sure. But I don't want to - that used to be called "cheating" back when anyone cared about "the integrity of the game."

When it comes to sports, I love tradition. And can you imagine any team in North America with a greater tradition than the Leafs? I sure can't. Okay - maybe the Wings would come in a close second ;-) ...

Oh all right, throw in the Habs if you must.
New Re: Tradition.
Yeah but the Habs cheated. They had special draft rules that allowed them first dibs on French Canadian players. I suspect they wouldn't have had all those Cups if that wasn't the case. You can certainly see their record after that was abolished. I like to bring that up when Habs fans get upitty and put down the Leafs.
lister
New Good point.
Having only been a hockey fan for a mere decade, I am not as knowledgeable as I should be - gotta spend more time at nhl.com I guess :-)

Still, I'll keep that in mind the next time some one wants to wax on about the halcyon days when there was Montreal and everyone else competing to lose to them in the finals.
     7-0 and Roy tossed! Life is good! - (mmoffitt) - (9)
         Oh geez! - (lister) - (8)
             I'm no fan of Hasek. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                 Re: I'm no fan of Hasek. - (lister) - (6)
                     Roy used to be my favorite player. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                         Re: Roy used to be my favorite player. - (Steve Lowe)
                         Re: Roy used to be my favorite player. - (lister) - (3)
                             Tradition. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                 Re: Tradition. - (lister) - (1)
                                     Good point. - (mmoffitt)

The kids should've been walking to school with EMP lunchboxes.
50 ms