IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Are you blind???
It is obvious and self evident that everything should be a Web service.

If it were not self evident, would every tech columnist in every magazine be preaching it's glory? Would every vendor with a prayer of a product be hyping it to the sky? These folks are professionals - experts in all things technology, and you would do well to listen with humble attention.

It's just as self evident as was the fact that enterprises would save billions moving all their business functions to Windows based Client Server Computing. If your corporation hasn't done so by now, it is uncompetitive and headed to the dumpster.

It's just as self evident as was the fact that the Dot.com business model can deliver goods directly to consumers far cheaper that a "brick and mortar" business could ever hope to. Today, you buy your groceries either from WebVan.com or HomeGrocer.com, bucause Vons, Safeway and Piggly Wiggly are long gone and their stores are all converted to roller rinks.

It's just as self evident as was the fact that Linux businesses will be huge, and raking in billions by 2002. If you'd gotten with the program in time and bought VA Linux at $250, you'd be a zillionair today (yes, zillionair is correctly spelled with an "air" in this case).

It's just as self evident as was the fact that the last mainframe would be unplugged before the turn of the century. Did you pick up any souvenirs at the big IBM liquidation auction?

It's just as self evident as is the fact that wireless networking will completely replace our obsolete wired and fibered infrastructure by the end of the decade. Oh! all that money wasted pulling fiber and Cat-5e!

It's just as self evident as is the fact that "peer-to-peer networking" and "grid computing" will completely change our entire concept of how our computers are used. Too bad Lantastic isn't still around to see the triumph of peer-to-peer.**

Lets hear it for the Next Big Thing, peer-to-peer Web services running on a wireless grid of millions of Windows PCs! We'll finally be able to get rid of all those pesky IS departments!

In other words, it's a huge steaming heap of the same bull byproducts over a technology that will eventually find a significant but very far from dominant position in the marketplace.

-----

** Actually, Lantastic is still around, sold by Sparticom, and used primarily in "legacy" Point of Sale systems. So much for peer-to-peer.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus June 1, 2002, 09:34:42 PM EDT
New No, I am not a cynic
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Cackle..____glorp.
I Feel for ya, Andy. As with the earlier ~ it is beneath the dignity of excellent men [sic], that they should waste their days in repetitive calculation...

So do I opine (looking ever from the Outside of youse guys' Chosen Cross to Bear\ufffd) that, most of you are indeed engaged daily in the equally demeaning, casting of Pearls before swine.

And this is not merely about the IT niche - as dumbth increases, as more and more folks acquire their Suited uniform - following an accelerated 'educational experience' not vastly different from Billy's, and with total empha$i$ upon the Econ graphology (and no slightest awareness of WFT ever was some guy called G\ufffdebbels ??) --

Finding Honest Work (what was JFK's little quip .."employing one's abilities along the lines of excellence" ?~) can only become rarer. Learning not to sound patronizing, while explaining for the 5th time to one's "Manager"! how to use the Help system - can only lead to snide thoughts of
'what would s t r a n g u l a t i o n actually Feel like ?'

Well Andy - at least You don't got to deal with no steenkin Manager.. right?

Now I have to leave and continue boning up on .nyet, and find where Sandy Reed's gone, re my Advanced tutelage - for THIS is CLEARLY

The Wave of The Future ----> !!!

..and Ah'm a Surfah, Suckah Dude
New I'm so ashamed.
Thank you for illuminating all to me. I think I'll reply to one of the 10,000 email invites to attend a "Microsoft Hands-On Training session with .Net" I promise to remain silent and not betray my own ineptness.
bcnu,
Mikem
     M$ stock continues to please those who - (Ashton) - (53)
         Re: MS is one stock that will bounce back - (dmarker2) - (49)
             I dunno. - (mmoffitt) - (48)
                 Re: I'd love to see Linux sweep MS away, but - (dmarker2) - (47)
                     Am getting more into embedded personally, but... - (mmoffitt)
                     Licensing note. - (static) - (44)
                         Maybe I'm just too damned old. - (mmoffitt) - (43)
                             Are you blind??? - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                 No, I am not a cynic -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 Cackle..____glorp. - (Ashton)
                                 I'm so ashamed. - (mmoffitt)
                             I didn't say everything should be a web service. - (static) - (38)
                                 Didn't mean to imply you did. - (mmoffitt) - (37)
                                     Your not as old as you think... - (jb4) - (36)
                                         Re: Trying to understand XML & Web Services - try containers - (dmarker2) - (35)
                                             That ... makes sense! - (drewk) - (1)
                                                 TWikified - (kmself)
                                             Very well written, but... - (mmoffitt) - (32)
                                                 Re: Good point - (dmarker2) - (31)
                                                     Let's follow the analogy a bit further - (Ashton) - (28)
                                                         Related to something I was just saying about OSS & FSF - (drewk) - (18)
                                                             Those seem to be the stages, but it's the Aim - (Ashton) - (17)
                                                                 Re: But,but, but - (dmarker2) - (16)
                                                                     Shall we sing "John Henry"? :-) - (a6l6e6x)
                                                                     Yes of course - you can't Not -invent stuff.. - (Ashton) - (8)
                                                                         Re: Yes of course - you can't Not -invent stuff.. YA GOT ME - (dmarker2) - (4)
                                                                             Well, then you don't know what you're talking about. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                                                 Re: Jeeze CRC - that was mild ... - (dmarker2) - (2)
                                                                                     Stone cold sober; at work. Summer. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                                                         Re: Please accept my public apology for - (dmarker2)
                                                                         Re: Carnot Cycle ... here is an example of a good one - (dmarker2) - (2)
                                                                             We had one on the roof! - (Ashton)
                                                                             Re: Carnot Cycle ... here is an example of a good one - (shimon340)
                                                                     Hey Doug, Toolmakers, Machinists, lathes are STILL here - (tonytib) - (5)
                                                                         Re: A funny story re Lathes & precision finishing - (dmarker2) - (4)
                                                                             I had a sort of opposite problem - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                                                                 Re: I had a sort of opposite problem - (dmarker2) - (1)
                                                                                     Only the last sentence is relative - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                                             Taig is still around, but in Arizona - (tonytib)
                                                         Re: Where you are leading may - (dmarker2) - (8)
                                                             ie 'change is inevitable" - (Ashton) - (7)
                                                                 Re: ie 'change is inevitable" - (dmarker2)
                                                                 Therein is the big issue IMO - (drewk) - (5)
                                                                     Yes - it seems to be that last.. - (Ashton) - (4)
                                                                         Re: Ashton, have created a new thread in open ... - (dmarker2) - (3)
                                                                             Beyond call of duty :-) Mine should have been tagged OT - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                                                 Indeed. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                                     Tip of iceberg? - (Ashton)
                                                     Amazing thing I heard about containers - (drewk) - (1)
                                                         Sending empties? Buy less shit from there, or sell more! -NT - (CRConrad)
                     Licensing model - (jake123)
         Back below 50 in heavy trading - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             Re: Not just MS - also IBM, Siebel, Redhat - all slumped - (dmarker2) - (1)
                 Dunno about them 'Industrial Average' thingies - (Ashton)

We are gonna party all... night... LONG!
86 ms