IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The GOP's 1972?
In the Washington Monthly the aptly-named Martin Longman posts this lengthy piece in which he argues that the growing fissure between an ossified, out-of-touch GOP establishment and an energized, not to say fanatical, "base" resentful of being handed nominees chosen by the said establishment, could lead to much tearing of hair and rending of garments after the votes are tallied next November. It is by no means necessary to agree with all his conclusions in order to find some of the comparisons intriguing. In the post Longman quotes a 1974 analysis by David Broder(!) (who wasn't always a hack, though few are old enough to remember that fact firsthand):
But the key to the 1972 convention result lay, not in rules manipulations, but in two independent factors, as peculiar in their way as the accidents that befell Kennedy and McCarthy in 1968.

One was the collapse of Edmund Muskie, the front-runner for the nomination and the consequent derailment of the vehicle on which most of the party regulars and elected officials had expected to ride to Miami Beach. No one in modern political history has dissipated as many assets as rapidly as did Muskie in the winter and spring of 1972.

The other key factor was the inability of George Meany to pick a candidate to back in the early going. Facing a divided AFL-CIO executive board, Meany declined to choose among Muskie, Humphrey, and Henry (“Scoop”) Jackson. Not until the California primary, when it was too late, did the AFL-CIO come in full force behind Humphrey, and it nearly turned the tide...
I'm not going to bet the rent on this just yet, but lately I'm inclined to advance my evaluation of Trump's prospects in the nomination fight from "not a chance in hell" to "even money." Longman inclines to the belief that this would yield a GOP "wipeout," but that kind of general election seems too close to Russian roulette for my liking.

cordially,
New LRPD: "Lord Vetinari won't stop at sarcasm. He might use" -- Colon swallowed -- "irony."
Am only a tad regretful that I paid so little attention—amidst those seminal undertows of naked political hard-ons—in those days.

I settled for ~”the game IS rigged”, in lieu of the hard slog to find a literate riposte to the standard troglodytes. There were more delicious matters to attend. But I well recall that McGovern was indeed [“..a better man and a better candidate than these Republican ‘irregulars’”] and my S.O. + a friend had met McGovern and pronounced him, credible/copacetic (and W.T.F. Happened there!?)

Glad that Longman did not elide that qualifier in some final edit. (Likely too IMO, McG may well have been too bright to get past the egghead shibboleth adopted by that huge tribe of mouth-breathers who come up with the likes of a Quayle, not to mention Wasilliana fauna.)

J. Martindale (way down the replies) demurs
The failure of this essay to attribute the rabid, fascistic element of current Republican politics to the racism generated by two terms of of a Black President also makes me wonder if the equations of the ’70s to today are valid. But what you say is definitely worth thinking about, and you have given us a lot to consider. Thanks.
I think he has a point.

Great Hastur! (and Cthulhu as goes without..) Eleven MONTHS more of malevolent hate-speech masquerading as ‘political dialogue’, with ‘Econ’-by-Rush and [re-animated] Dead-End Kids from the ’40s
..polishing the rhetoric. And shall we, INDEED need to have a fresh copy of Götterdammerung? (an analog LP for real Class)
Because when it comes to Rings, I wot that on election night (--or week? for the recounts) Ring of the Nibelungs er, trumps.. that recent tale with Mordor and such.
[Cue up: Cheney-as-Smeagol, My Precious then, as encore.]
New The Piranha Brothers
Reminds me of the single best Python sketch ever:

Vercotti: Well I had noticed that the lad with the thermo-nuclear device was the Chief Constable for the area. Anyway a week later they came back, said that the cheque had bounced and that I had to see Doug.

Interviewer: Doug?

Vercotti: Doug (takes a drink) I was terrified of him. Everyone was terrified of Doug. I've seen grown men pull their own heads off rather than see Doug. Even Dinsdale was frightened of Doug.

Interviewer: What did he do?

Vercotti: He used sarcasm. He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes and satire.
Expand Edited by gcareaga Dec. 4, 2015, 03:24:29 PM EST
Expand Edited by gcareaga Dec. 4, 2015, 03:25:03 PM EST
New this coming from the american Kirchner proponant complaining about failed policies of the past?
you can kill people for America at age 18 but need to be 21 to buy a beer
     The GOP's 1972? - (rcareaga) - (3)
         LRPD: "Lord Vetinari won't stop at sarcasm. He might use" -- Colon swallowed -- "irony." - (Ashton) - (1)
             The Piranha Brothers - (gcareaga)
         this coming from the american Kirchner proponant complaining about failed policies of the past? -NT - (boxley)

It's mercifully free of Britney Timberlake, Backstreet II Men, and Whitney Dion.
117 ms