IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New They depend on nearly free electricity if they want to make fuel.
http://carbonengineering.com/our-technology/

INTEGRATION WITH CARBON-FREE ENERGY

In CE’s lowest-technical risk ‘baseline’ design, all the input energy required onsite is supplied by natural gas. The carbon dioxide from gas combustion is also captured along with the CO2 extracted from the atmosphere, so that no new CO2 is emitted to the atmosphere by our technology.

In the longer term, we expect that carbon-free power will drive air capture. CE is building collaborations to conduct full-scale studies on using solar thermal or nuclear energy as the source of energy for its air capture system.

It could still be useful even if it costs money or net power to grab a significant amount of CO2 out of the air. But the question remains whether it will be better than traditional techniques if they also have similar "free" inputs.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Yes, with unlimited "almost free" electricity . . .
. . they can break the bond to produce carbon and oxygen. They also need to break the hydrogen away from something. Then they can re-combine into some sort of "designer fuel". I'd like to see an energy flow and balance diagram here.

There are a lot of other things you can do with unlimited "almost free" electricity - if you can get it. I well remember all the "electricity will be too cheap to meter" claims for nuclear power. I've talked to people who suckered for "Medallion Homes" based on those claims.

To me, this article reads like a foundation pitch to start sucking in investors who don't know how to do math.
     now that is doin, not yawping. CO2 recycling - (boxley) - (16)
         Looks interesting. - (Another Scott) - (15)
             I don't get it. - (Andrew Grygus) - (13)
                 I was thinking that too, initially. - (Another Scott)
                 they are turning it into fuel -NT - (boxley) - (11)
                     Yeah? Just how do they expect to do that? - (Andrew Grygus) - (10)
                         uh, read the article? - (boxley) - (9)
                             The article is wonderfully uninformative. - (Andrew Grygus) - (8)
                                 They depend on nearly free electricity if they want to make fuel. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     Yes, with unlimited "almost free" electricity . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 maybe something similar - (boxley) - (5)
                                     Credible science, but major problems. - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                                         Plants, via photosynthesis, do this all the time. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                                             Photosynthesis can't keep up. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                                 Yep, fossil fuel is the worst culprit. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                                     Sadly, just a few rather simple factoids like these are pretty discouraging - (Ashton)
             I bet they generate more CO2 in burning natural gas then they extract from air. - (a6l6e6x)

China?
72 ms