IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I can haz iPhone.
Got it yesterday, as promised by Three.

tl;dr: this is a great phone and I like it lots. Screen, camera, build, software all great.

Apple are still the masters of packaging. Everything's so neat and tidy and accessible.

First up, this is a lovely thing. In the hand, it feels way better than it looks. It's incredibly tactile. You find yourself just turning it over and over in your hand. Apple has done a good job here. I have a 64GB Space Grey version. I got this colour because I had a white iPad. White devices look great, but I find the white bezel quite distracting when watching video or reading books on Kindle.

Setup was straightforward, although I did initially forget to get an app password for my Outlook.com account (I have two-factor authentication set up), so I spent a sweary few minutes entering my regular password over and over.

The screen is great. Whilst I was initially a bit sceptical about the weird resolution downscaling shenanigans that take place on the 6+ and 6S+, in practice, this is a vivid, crisp, bright 1080p screen.

3D touch is going to be great. Right now, it's just kindasorta long-press with knobs on. However, I'm already trying to peek and pop everything, and nothing outside Apple's apps uses it yet - but I guarantee they will.

Coming from a Windows phone, things be weird - I keep hitting the dictation button on the keyboard, because that's where the comma lives on WP, and I'm still swiping up to unlock - but I'm acclimatising. I am definitely missing Live Tiles, although the swipe-down today screen thing (I'm sure it has a proper name) is a sort-of substitute. Thankfully, the silky smoothness that pervades the WP UX is present in iOS. Type nerd aside: the new San Francisco font is absolutely delightful.

There are, of course, a bazillion apps. "There's an app for that" is still definitely a thing.

The hardware mute switch is still one of my favourite features.

The camera is pretty good. Very quick to start and focus, with good detail. The continuous panorama feature is very well thought-out and implemented. No iCloud Photo Stream for me; install the OneDrive app, turn on the photo upload feature, and we're off.

I'm pretty content with this decision. Sure, it's a big phone, but it means I can get rid of my Nexus 7*. And I don't have to check which way up the charging cable is, before plugging it in.

* woo and yay; you don't really realise how shonky Android really is until you get it side-by-side with iOS. Despite being considerably slicker, WP doesn't kick it in the balls because Android can say "but the apps!"
Expand Edited by pwhysall Sept. 26, 2015, 06:49:04 AM EDT
New Amazing! First day of availability.
No new phone for me as I have to get my money's worth out of the iPhone 6.

3D touch sounds good.

By the way, iOS 9.0.1 awaits you.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
Expand Edited by a6l6e6x Sept. 26, 2015, 10:28:02 AM EDT
New I installed 9.0.1 at the first opportunity
New My wife has a reservation to pick one up in an hour.
Plenty of availability for everything but the rose gold one (which she wanted, of course, oh well).

I'm a bit surprised they aren't all gone by now.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New The long press stuff...
Is that adjustable? In the TV ads I've seen for it, it seems like the amount of pressing is a little bit too long and a little bit too forceful.

I assume not, but thought I'd ask.

In Android, a long press often pops up a menu for copying/pasting text and the like. I assume it's the same on iOS - I haven't played with it in a while. How long does it take to train yourself so that you don't do one when you mean to do the other? Or do they popup the same menu now?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Yep- adjustable.
Also, you don't have to press as hard as you think.

It's not long press. You don't press long. You press a little harder. It's different, and you get it after the first couple of tries. It's harder to explain than it is to do.
     So, new iPhones. - (pwhysall) - (24)
         Thinking about it - (malraux) - (8)
             You probably should - (pwhysall) - (3)
                 4s runs iOS 8 - (malraux) - (2)
                     Surprised - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         It's a bit slow at times - (malraux)
             Also, isn't the iPhone 4 just *tiny*? -NT - (pwhysall) - (3)
                 Screen is small, yes - (malraux) - (2)
                     You have a woman's hands, my lord! -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         Hanging from his belt, I assume. -NT - (CRConrad)
         Also thinking about it. Still thinking about the LG G4 too. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Re: Also thinking about it. Still thinking about the LG G4 too. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 I like Versus for comparing phone sizes (it has a slider for scaling). - (Another Scott)
         Re: So, new iPhones. - (Bman) - (3)
             What would you do with the big iPad? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 Scrible on it with the Apple Pen! :) - (a6l6e6x)
                 Re: What would you do with the big iPad? - (Bman)
         Yep - (mvitale)
         Well, Three are still saying "Friday"... -NT - (pwhysall)
         I can haz iPhone. - (pwhysall) - (5)
             Amazing! First day of availability. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                 I installed 9.0.1 at the first opportunity -NT - (pwhysall)
             My wife has a reservation to pick one up in an hour. - (malraux)
             The long press stuff... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Yep- adjustable. - (pwhysall)

She has not, incidentally, allowed this episode to turn her into an anti-cucumber crusader.
117 ms