IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New So, new iPhones.
Anyone jumping on?

After 4 happy years of Windows Phone use, I've decided I'm ready for a change, and have ordered a 64GB 6S+, through my carrier (Three). £99 up front, £50/mo for 8GB (including tethering), unlimited minutes and texts.

The last iPhone I had was a 3G, so this should be...

...interesting.

(Aside: for the first time in forever, I've actually kept my phone (Lumia 1020) for the whole two years of the contract, instead of eBaying it half-way through and getting something else)
New Thinking about it
My wife has a 4, I have a 4S. Might be time to upgrade. The trade-ins are essentially 10% off coupons at best.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New You probably should
If the 4 and 4S haven't already fallen off Apple's security patch support radar, they will, Real Soon Now.
New 4s runs iOS 8
But yeah, noted.
Regards,
-scott
New Surprised
Does it run it satisfactorily?

IIRC you could install iOS 7 onto a 4, but it wasn't a good idea.

Edit: iOS 9 will install on the 4S, but...

...well, let's just say that there are lots of "but"s.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/09/ios-9-on-the-iphone-4s-a-stay-of-execution-nothing-more/
Expand Edited by pwhysall Sept. 17, 2015, 03:10:05 AM EDT
New It's a bit slow at times
But for the most part it's fine.
Regards,
-scott
New Also, isn't the iPhone 4 just *tiny*?
New Screen is small, yes
But I do like being able to fit the thing in other things. Also, I don't have giant gorilla paws, being of the more svelte homo sapiens sapiens persuasion.
Regards,
-scott
New You have a woman's hands, my lord!
New Hanging from his belt, I assume.
New Also thinking about it. Still thinking about the LG G4 too.
I'm on T-Mobile and will likely stay on it. There are only 3 unlocked phones that work with VoLTE on Band 12 (the magical 700 MHz band that gives good coverage in buildings) - the Nexus 6 and the iPhone 6S/6S+.

That means if I want a LG G4 (which is still very tempting, it seems to me), I have to get the model that T-Mobile is selling (for $480-ish) and be locked to them (at least for a while). If I'm going to be locked to a carrier, then the iPhone is worth looking at more carefully.

http://versus.com/en/lg-g4-vs-apple-iphone-6s-plus
http://connect.dpreview.com/post/4815927435/lg-g4-camera-review

From a June 29, 2015 review on T-Mobile's site (which I seeminlgy can't link to directly):

4/5 stars Well-featured phoneJune 29, 2015
KJNaj

5 Ease of Use
4 Battery Life
3 Features
4 Call Quality

I got this phone (LG Model H811) when my Galaxy S4 died due to accidental physical damage. This phone is a well-featured phone with a smooth and simple interface. The fact that it has a replaceable battery and a microSD card slot is what made me choose this phone over the Galaxy S6. Photography is one of my hobbies, and the camera is one of the best features of this phone, especially with the ability to shoot in RAW and manually change settings (white balace, shutter speed, and ISO). The extra battery and 128gb microSD card promotions were a nice added bonus at the time of purchase.

I do want to mention, however, US carrier-specific versions of this phone (and other phones) tend to have missing/disabled features when compared to their international counterparts. TMobile tends to do this less than other carriers in the US, but all carriers seem to disable or block out certain features which are otherwise available in the global retail versions of a particular phone. For the LG G4, the international version is the H815, and the TMobile version is the H811. Keep in mind the differences:

Advantages of getting LG H811 (TMobile version)
-Supports AWS band 1700/2100 specifically used by TMobile in some locations.
-Supports VoLTE and wifi calling/texting on TMobile
-Supports LTE band 12, being deployed by TMobile in some locations
-Comes with 1 year warranty (LG H815 has no warranty for US customers)
-For a limited time, had extra battery and 128gb microSD promotions

Disadvantages (compared to the international H815 version)
-Does not support UMTS band VIII (not used in US)
-Supports 6 LTE bands vs 10 on H815
-SIM-locked to TMobile upon purchase
-FM radio disabled
-Cannot change default voicemail number (when holding 1 for voicemail)
-Bluetooth tethering disabled
-multiple user profiles feature disabled
-Cannot change brightness limit when brightness is set to AUTO
-does not come with headphones included (LG H815 does).
-Bootloader is not unlockable as of yet (LG allowed bootloader unlocking for H815).

The disadvantages might be minor or no-impact to most users. I chose to go with the H811 for the wifi calling and LTE band 12. But keep in mind the differences before purchasing. In summary, this is still a great phone!

Pros: 4g lte, touch screen, great camera, processor, memory, large screen

Cons: bulky, some features disabled compared to global version

I would recommend this to a friend!

I'll probably still just sit on the fence some more with my Nexus 4 though, as long as I don't break it...

Good luck with it!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Also thinking about it. Still thinking about the LG G4 too.
That versus site is hilarious.

Delivery is due on the 25th, so it'll be interesting to see if my carrier can live up to their promise.
New I like Versus for comparing phone sizes (it has a slider for scaling).
All the rest, yeah, fanboys go a little overboard. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: So, new iPhones.
I have 6+ been very happy with it love the big screen battery life has a very good
don't know if I will get this 6S + or not I have a free upgrade
You were smart to order the 64 gig because the OS takes up so much space I have the 16 gig
After loading my normal stuff from my old phone I only had 2 gigs left we're on the old phone I had 8 gig left
I'll wait to see if I want the phone
I really want the new iPad pro
Good luck with it
"Pictures are better then words because some words are big and hard to understand"
Peter Griffin (Family Guy)
New What would you do with the big iPad?
It's too big for casual content consumption; it's only really any use for doing actual work on.
New Scrible on it with the Apple Pen! :)
Also work on improving the biceps.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Re: What would you do with the big iPad?
It's instead of having a laptop
"Pictures are better then words because some words are big and hard to understand"
Peter Griffin (Family Guy)
New Yep
Contract is up in November. 6S+ in the max amount of space they offer it shall be mine then. Will likely stick with AT&T, as it's been good enough for me.
-Mike

@MikeVitale42

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Well, Three are still saying "Friday"...
New I can haz iPhone.
Got it yesterday, as promised by Three.

tl;dr: this is a great phone and I like it lots. Screen, camera, build, software all great.

Apple are still the masters of packaging. Everything's so neat and tidy and accessible.

First up, this is a lovely thing. In the hand, it feels way better than it looks. It's incredibly tactile. You find yourself just turning it over and over in your hand. Apple has done a good job here. I have a 64GB Space Grey version. I got this colour because I had a white iPad. White devices look great, but I find the white bezel quite distracting when watching video or reading books on Kindle.

Setup was straightforward, although I did initially forget to get an app password for my Outlook.com account (I have two-factor authentication set up), so I spent a sweary few minutes entering my regular password over and over.

The screen is great. Whilst I was initially a bit sceptical about the weird resolution downscaling shenanigans that take place on the 6+ and 6S+, in practice, this is a vivid, crisp, bright 1080p screen.

3D touch is going to be great. Right now, it's just kindasorta long-press with knobs on. However, I'm already trying to peek and pop everything, and nothing outside Apple's apps uses it yet - but I guarantee they will.

Coming from a Windows phone, things be weird - I keep hitting the dictation button on the keyboard, because that's where the comma lives on WP, and I'm still swiping up to unlock - but I'm acclimatising. I am definitely missing Live Tiles, although the swipe-down today screen thing (I'm sure it has a proper name) is a sort-of substitute. Thankfully, the silky smoothness that pervades the WP UX is present in iOS. Type nerd aside: the new San Francisco font is absolutely delightful.

There are, of course, a bazillion apps. "There's an app for that" is still definitely a thing.

The hardware mute switch is still one of my favourite features.

The camera is pretty good. Very quick to start and focus, with good detail. The continuous panorama feature is very well thought-out and implemented. No iCloud Photo Stream for me; install the OneDrive app, turn on the photo upload feature, and we're off.

I'm pretty content with this decision. Sure, it's a big phone, but it means I can get rid of my Nexus 7*. And I don't have to check which way up the charging cable is, before plugging it in.

* woo and yay; you don't really realise how shonky Android really is until you get it side-by-side with iOS. Despite being considerably slicker, WP doesn't kick it in the balls because Android can say "but the apps!"
Expand Edited by pwhysall Sept. 26, 2015, 06:49:04 AM EDT
New Amazing! First day of availability.
No new phone for me as I have to get my money's worth out of the iPhone 6.

3D touch sounds good.

By the way, iOS 9.0.1 awaits you.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
Expand Edited by a6l6e6x Sept. 26, 2015, 10:28:02 AM EDT
New I installed 9.0.1 at the first opportunity
New My wife has a reservation to pick one up in an hour.
Plenty of availability for everything but the rose gold one (which she wanted, of course, oh well).

I'm a bit surprised they aren't all gone by now.
Regards,
-scott
New The long press stuff...
Is that adjustable? In the TV ads I've seen for it, it seems like the amount of pressing is a little bit too long and a little bit too forceful.

I assume not, but thought I'd ask.

In Android, a long press often pops up a menu for copying/pasting text and the like. I assume it's the same on iOS - I haven't played with it in a while. How long does it take to train yourself so that you don't do one when you mean to do the other? Or do they popup the same menu now?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Yep- adjustable.
Also, you don't have to press as hard as you think.

It's not long press. You don't press long. You press a little harder. It's different, and you get it after the first couple of tries. It's harder to explain than it is to do.
     So, new iPhones. - (pwhysall) - (24)
         Thinking about it - (malraux) - (8)
             You probably should - (pwhysall) - (3)
                 4s runs iOS 8 - (malraux) - (2)
                     Surprised - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         It's a bit slow at times - (malraux)
             Also, isn't the iPhone 4 just *tiny*? -NT - (pwhysall) - (3)
                 Screen is small, yes - (malraux) - (2)
                     You have a woman's hands, my lord! -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         Hanging from his belt, I assume. -NT - (CRConrad)
         Also thinking about it. Still thinking about the LG G4 too. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Re: Also thinking about it. Still thinking about the LG G4 too. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 I like Versus for comparing phone sizes (it has a slider for scaling). - (Another Scott)
         Re: So, new iPhones. - (Bman) - (3)
             What would you do with the big iPad? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 Scrible on it with the Apple Pen! :) - (a6l6e6x)
                 Re: What would you do with the big iPad? - (Bman)
         Yep - (mvitale)
         Well, Three are still saying "Friday"... -NT - (pwhysall)
         I can haz iPhone. - (pwhysall) - (5)
             Amazing! First day of availability. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                 I installed 9.0.1 at the first opportunity -NT - (pwhysall)
             My wife has a reservation to pick one up in an hour. - (malraux)
             The long press stuff... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Yep- adjustable. - (pwhysall)

Better than a kick to the head with a frozen mukluk.
101 ms