IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I am aware of that
There are, however, advantages to patents which have been licensed properly. Such as improved negotiation power to deal with others who have patent portfolios.

There aren't a lot of companies who I would feel comfortable with trying to play that role, but Red Hat is one of them.

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
New I'm with Ben -- RH's patents may be good
I'm willing to see what RH does here. There's already a pretty good precedent from Raph Levien on [link|http://www.levien.com/patents.html|licensing patents for free software]. Granted, Raph limits his license to software under the GPL, but given that other licenses don't offer the same protections that the GPL does for preserving state as free software, and that this covers ~85%-90% of all free software, it's a pretty good proxy.

The patent game is such that the best way to fight is to play. Actually, this isn't too different from the copyright arena. The GPL doesn't disclaim copyright, it utilizes it in a way that assures benefit to the public at large, rather than just the copyright holder.

The key is how RH licenses this technology, and how it works to assure that the patents can't fall into other hands and be used against free software. This last is a major concern. Grants now must be global (within the scope of free software), permanent, and non-revocable.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
[link|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/|[link|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/]]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?

Keep software free.     Oppose the CBDTPA.     Kill S.2048 dead.
[link|http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html|[link|http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html|http://www.eff.org/...a_alert.html]]
New Doverai ni proverai, perhaps.
While you are about the resident patent-deBabelizer, the logic of RH's (possible.. hoped-for) motives is not obscure. And I think that, despite the near oxymoronic state of 'Corp Ethics 2002', it seems that one must trust someone, sometime - simply (as you say) because you MUST play.

ie Wouldn't RH be abysmally stupid to watch an idea go through the process of being made unavailable.. on some cockamamie Principle - unknown to the unPrincipled ?

Ashton
     Yup, just like I said . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (45)
         I disagree with your take on RedHat - (drewk) - (43)
             You can get someone else to support . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (42)
                 Now I see what you're getting at - (drewk) - (32)
                     Depends on your definition of broad, and . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (31)
                         point 4 - (boxley)
                         Re; built-in flexibilty - (tjsinclair) - (29)
                             Maybe you should... - (jb4) - (28)
                                 Programming at the coalface with that attitude. - (static) - (27)
                                     Variable variables are bad - (ben_tilly) - (25)
                                         They are open to incredible abuse, yes. - (static) - (24)
                                             I see that as a self-inflicted problem - (ben_tilly) - (23)
                                                 I am not unaware of the risks. - (static) - (3)
                                                     The main reason for our difference... - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                         *grin* -NT - (static)
                                                         ROFL! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                                 What do you think about this situation - (drewk) - (18)
                                                     You are now dependent on your table structure - (ben_tilly) - (17)
                                                         Should have been more explicit - (drewk) - (16)
                                                             I would not be comfortable with that! - (ben_tilly) - (15)
                                                                 Yes, I am doing things I didn't show - (drewk) - (14)
                                                                     You're stopping short of a better solution. - (static) - (13)
                                                                         6 of one, 1/2-dozen of the other - (drewk) - (12)
                                                                             Slightly bigger difference - (ben_tilly) - (11)
                                                                                 I must be missing something - (drewk) - (10)
                                                                                     I know what you're overlooking. - (static) - (7)
                                                                                         That could be nasty - (drewk) - (6)
                                                                                             I don't know. - (static) - (5)
                                                                                                 Out of curiousity - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                                                                     I don't know. - (static)
                                                                                                 So PHP supports hashes? - (drewk) - (2)
                                                                                                     Yes. It does. - (static) - (1)
                                                                                                         Blinding flash of the obvious - (drewk)
                                                                                     Stupid question? - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                                                         Why there's names to avoid - (drewk)
                                     Agreed - (tjsinclair)
                 Red Hat goes for Software Patents - (Andrew Grygus) - (8)
                     I trust them for now - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                         Let's just suppose . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                             I did say, "for now" - (ben_tilly)
                         Re: I trust them for now - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                             Many patents lie dormant, until . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                             I am aware of that - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                 I'm with Ben -- RH's patents may be good - (kmself) - (1)
                                     Doverai ni proverai, perhaps. - (Ashton)
         our buddy viewtouch must be thrilled -NT - (boxley)

I've fished dese ol' archives before and I'll fish em' again!
70 ms