IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New This is not how it's supposed to be.
Look, here's the rules.

When you replace a piece of hardware in your PC, you're supposed to have at least a couple of hours of sweary fuckery, from the fact that you need at least two different screwdrivers to cable re-routing to the fact that the new one doesn't quite fit.

And then Windows is supposed to chuck an utter shitfit and drop you back to 640x480 in 8 bit colour whilst you install the shitty drivers off the shitty CD, and then you have to spend ages getting rid of the old driver.

So what is this witchcraft?

I just swapped out my Palit GTX660 graphics card for a nice shiny Asus GTX960, and not only did I not need any tools at all, not only did Windows not temporarily tune me in to the Lego Channel, but it just worked, and I can now run games like Crysis 3 with everything turned up to maximum at 1920x1080.

And the PC draws less power and is quieter.

Seriously. Look at the cooling on this thing:

New Scale it up a bit and..
it looks a lot like one of the 14 *radiators to be found scattered about a Veyron. Who's stealing from whom?

* not many of those for engine cooling, of course, though that task too is of NASA-dimensions.
New looks like it needs its own enclosure
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New You must be dumping more heat into the PC enclosure.
How many Watts was the old graphics card and how many for the new?

Just for grins, monitor the CPU temperature. You might need to upgrade the case fan(s).
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Nope
Remember, this one runs cooler than the slower, older card.

ETA: Just checked. Whilst playing Crysis 3 - a very graphically demanding game - with max settings at 1920x1080, the GPU temperature is a steady 60C.

Expand Edited by pwhysall March 22, 2015, 01:09:58 PM EDT
     This is not how it's supposed to be. - (pwhysall) - (4)
         Scale it up a bit and.. - (Ashton)
         looks like it needs its own enclosure -NT - (boxley)
         You must be dumping more heat into the PC enclosure. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Nope - (pwhysall)

Well, the place was crowded. We were packed in like sardines. They were all there to listen to the Big Band sounds of Tommy Dorsal. What sole! Tommy was rocking the place with a very popular tuna: "Sal-mon Chanted Evening," and the stage was surrounded by screaming groupers; probably there to see the bass player.
54 ms