IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New UK chemists explain the Third Day
(from Genesis - when life was created).

Phys.org

(Phys.org)—A team of chemists working at the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, at Cambridge in the UK believes they have solved the mystery of how it was possible for life to begin on Earth over four billion years ago. In their paper published in the journal Nature Chemistry, the team describes how they were able to map reactions that produced two and three-carbon sugars, amino acids, ribonucleotides and glycerol—the material necessary for metabolism and for creating the building blocks of proteins and ribonucleic acid molecules and also for allowing for the creation of lipids that form cell membranes.

Scientists have debated for years the various possibilities that could have led to life evolving on Earth, and the arguments have only grown more heated in recent years as many have suggested that it did not happen here it all, instead, it was brought to us from comets or some other celestial body. Most of the recent debate has found scientists in one of three chicken-or-the-egg first camps: RNA world advocates, metabolism-first supporters and those who believe that cell membranes must have developed first.

The chemists with this new effort believe they have found a way to show that all three arguments are both right and wrong—they believe they have found a way to show that everything necessary for life to evolve could have done so from just hydrogen sulfide, hydrogen cyanide and ultraviolet light and that those building blocks could have all existed at the same time—in their paper, they report that using just those three basic ingredients they were able to produce more than 50 nucleic acids—precursors to DNA and RNA molecules. They note that early meteorites carried with them ingredients that would react with nitrogen already in the atmosphere, producing a lot of hydrogen cyanide. By dissolving in water, it could have very easily come into contact with hydrogen sulfide, while being exposed to ultraviolet light from the sun. And that, they claim, would have been all that was needed to get things going.

[...]

Neat.

Nature Chemistry (2015) DOI: 10.1038/nchem.2202

Cheers,
Scott.
New Seminal stuff! Would be Front-page in a less schizoid world.
Thanks again for uncovering the just-right pair of the explainable/ineffable {the second, guaranteed to get only footnotes, purely for being undefinable) ;^>

Love the 'Reaction Networks' depiction of the organic-chem. I can at least grok those, without necessity of first washing a jillion burettes, petri dishes and
the generations of notational shorthand I have mercifully missed, while frying other fish. All this new lore proves it's a Bitchin cosmos--wish we had a clue about its Reality!
--but I've accommodated finally.. the realizations of why goldfish-bowls, for all inquisitors are 101%-perfect mirrors.

(Don't ya just Hate! That!??)

Can't even imagine what the Buddha experienced; must have been akin to the Other-side of the mirror; no wonder that (Alice) Through the Looking-glass is immortal.
Because: Tantalizing, no algorithms need apply. Thus: no grants, no Nobel, no ..well, you know: epaulets?
New Excellent. Can we close all the temples, synagogues, churches and mosques now?
New And have all those parasites go unemployed? :)
Not to mention those that make funny clothing for the parasites.

The economy would collapse! :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Which reminds me ...
The Catholic church is so against gays, but who do they think designs all their clothes?
--

Drew
New :-) !
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New It must be Sci. Friday on npr; youse guys are incorrigible, as am moi.
I gather that we are (all?!) now resigned to the fact that Our {species} Fault-collection lies in:

Ourselves,
In the rise of $$entrepreneurs/MBAs replacing actual productive people,
In he ascension of utter Mind-fucked bloviators,
And mostly within our defective jelloware
(And probably.. in The Stars, too.)

What's left to ""Conserve"" by those radical Reactionaries now ready to sell us some Progress?

Maybe I should just go ahead and release the simple formula for Phlogiston? let the crazies complete the physical-destruction
... to match the mental. Burning Man wasn't just a ritual for aging hippies and gourmands:
Make It So (I so miss Captain Jean-Luc Picard's wonderful voice and Shakespearean utterances.)
New Can't close.. [Freedom! n'stuff] just TAX 'em, and soon--we need the money.
     UK chemists explain the Third Day - (Another Scott) - (7)
         Seminal stuff! Would be Front-page in a less schizoid world. - (Ashton)
         Excellent. Can we close all the temples, synagogues, churches and mosques now? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (5)
             And have all those parasites go unemployed? :) - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                 Which reminds me ... - (drook) - (2)
                     :-) ! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                     It must be Sci. Friday on npr; youse guys are incorrigible, as am moi. - (Ashton)
             Can't close.. [Freedom! n'stuff] just TAX 'em, and soon--we need the money. -NT - (Ashton)

Okay, that's not how law works for regular people.
286 ms