IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No word for blue
http://uk.businessinsider.com/what-is-blue-and-how-do-we-see-color-2015-2?r=US

[...] ancient languages didn't have a word for blue — not Greek, not Chinese, not Japanese, not Hebrew. And without a word for the color, there's evidence that they may not have seen it at all.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Anthroplogy meets science-fiction.
Friend of mine is a SF/F author. She has a series set on an alien world where the natives are almost human in a lot of ways - but not at all in one very interesting one: they cannot see red.

It becomes a crucial plot point because the POV character is a human of earth who can see red. :-)

Wade.
New as I am someone who is color impaired
perhaps the ability is a recent evolutionary change. Seeing color may be a benefit. Being a throwback camouflage doesnt work on me. Often while driving I will point out wildlife that is quite plain to see, but no one else in the car can.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New Fascinating
The demo of the 12 green blocks ... they all look exactly the same, even after knowing which one to look for.

And of course reminds me of this: http://discovermagazine.com/2012/jul-aug/06-humans-with-super-human-vision
--

Drew
New It is hard.
It looks like the blue/green test was done on a CRT monitor - I wonder how much that matters.

If I adjust my TN laptop screen angle just right, there is one green square that looks a little brighter than the others. But it is very subtle to these eyes.

I don't think having-a-word-for-it is key. When I was in college, one day in the library another student asked me if I could pick out the numbers in the famous pictures of dots of various colors. It was relatively easy for me - but he couldn't see some of them. Not having a word for blue or green wasn't his problem, it was his genes.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I must be special.
I saw the off green one straightaway. So quick I wasn't even sure at first.

Wade.
New Of course you are. Look at your picture. :-) Congrats!
New I tried it with a couple of other LCD monitors.
My MacMini is attached to an HP 24" IPS screen with a larger-than-usual color gamut and a fluorescent backlight. My Bulldozer PC is attached to a 24" Dell IPS with a conventional gamut and LED backlight. Both of the circles of green squares look very similar and I can't pick out the different one easily. (Both were running the Chrome browser, if that matters.)

Apparently there is no tetrachromism in these eyes. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Stop it, now you're embarrassing me...
I was using a cheap winders laptop...

And maybe I should update my avatar. :-)

Wade.
New :-)
New I managed to spot it
Or at least, I thought "huh, I wonder if it's that one".

It was very subtle, however, and surprising to me because my color vision is somewhat screwed up from all of my eye issues.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
     No word for blue - (malraux) - (10)
         Anthroplogy meets science-fiction. - (static)
         as I am someone who is color impaired - (boxley)
         Fascinating - (drook) - (7)
             It is hard. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 I must be special. - (static) - (4)
                     Of course you are. Look at your picture. :-) Congrats! -NT - (Another Scott)
                     I tried it with a couple of other LCD monitors. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         Stop it, now you're embarrassing me... - (static) - (1)
                             :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
             I managed to spot it - (malraux)

Up is down. Left is right. Black licorice tastes good.
124 ms