IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Al Punte on the memory, maybe..
(I hope I would have verified the flogger's "16 GB" claim, anyway..) but umm.. what were we talking about? Oh That: MacofAllTrades says 8 GB, which sounds quite more likely for a "2 GB" devious-Apple-upper-limit. Nevertheless Everymac states:
*Apple officially supports a maximum of 4 GB of RAM, but third-parties have determined that it actually supports 8 GB of RAM running Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" and 16 GB of RAM running OS X 10.7.5 "Lion" or higher and the latest EFI update.
..so maybe they weren't lyin 'bout Lion+. Dueling data. Yeah I missed reading the external display spec.

They also have same (Deal of the Day) price, this model. Would natch want to deal with them over this fly-by-night place.
No Pros listed today; guess everyone keeps them till the mobo goes tits-up or they won't run Mavericks+ Maybe I'm not the only one who likes the illuminated KB.

So I gets more time to vacillate.. whether to put the 350 in cookie jar for a newer/NO OPTIONS-after-purchase iMac, all slimmed-down for max cash-extraction of the masses. (You heard it here first: future $$Apple stuff will come in hermetically sealed cases and a MTBF of 3.01 years (via transistorized cyanide capsule inside the CPU molding.)) ;^> Wonder if they can miniaturize the thickness of the 27" next, to match the above (?) Taking odds on that..

Quandary. Value of having two? -vs- MTBF roulette. Complicated by extra$ for SSD, *RAM. Jeez I hates Econ calculations--makes one feel like a filthy-Capitalist.
Odd disclaimer on that link: "This article has been archived and is no longer updated by Apple." Ummm.. what mean? Sounds like, for future models -vs- older, they won't bother to offer any suggestions, dunnit?

* ~$100 for 8; 200 for 16 GB. I could live with 8, given the purpose.
As usual, all your hints were spot-on. Maybe a refurb MacPro will compete with above Σ, when I get a round tuit. Thanks, again.
New If EveryMac says 16 GB, then you can trust it.
I assume an EFI upgrade is relatively painless (like a BIOS upgrade on a PC), but make sure all your ducks are in a row before doing it. I think I did it on J's Black MacBook, but it didn't enable any magic - it was just to try to keep it as current as possible.

That Apple link was just for Lion. They eventually stop updating pages for the older OS versions. There's a similar page for Yosemite (which I can't find at the moment). Note that it apparently works with 2009 and newer iMacs (I don't recall if yours is older or not) - http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/ins-outs-imacs-target-display-mode/

The Mac Mini used to be the most reasonably priced expandable Macs. The latest versions are more locked-down than the older machines - https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Mac+Mini+Late+2014+Teardown/30410

This one is similar to that white MacBook in many respects. It's $399. My MacMini Server is still working fine (running 10.9.5 without the Server addons). It has 8 GB (I see that it can go to 16GB with a firmware upgrade. Thanks for finding that!).

Dunno if I'd get a 2014 MacMini, as it has soldered RAM, but the older machines are well worth considering if you're worried about needing/wanting more than 8 GB of RAM.

Have fun!

Cheers,
Scott.
     Mid-'10 Macbook MC516LL/A on sale at iSale today (maybe a few days??) - (Ashton) - (5)
         Find out what "Grade B" means, and compare to MacofAllTrades - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Al Punte on the memory, maybe.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                 If EveryMac says 16 GB, then you can trust it. - (Another Scott)
         I have a mid-09 MacBook Pro. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Thanks both for tips.. - (Ashton)

LOOP WAS VECTORIZED.
44 ms