IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not at all new to me. WP def seems to leave out a vital piece, though.
I've heard a lot about this in the last year or three. The "precariat" you hear about here in the Nordic countries, though, is not just any chav who lives precariously on the edge of poverty. From the WP article: "...the opposite of 'the Technical Middle Class' in Great Britain in that instead of having money but no interests, people of the new Precariat Class have all sorts of potential activities they like to engage in but cannot do any of them because they have no money..."

i.e, these are people with interests, not just hobbies (like ordinary proles), or just burping their way from one beer coupon on the dole to the next from Social Services -- the concept has a definite whiff of "culture worker". Here in the Nordiques, this seems to be further associated with a) femaleness and b) the public sector, in that the typical member of the "precariat" here is a woman struggling to keep afloat from one short-term temp gig as a school teacher to the next -- the secure job of the school-marm of yore is nothing but a fading memory. Or, sometimes the very Social Services lady listening to the woes of the chav is one week's salary from starvation herself... and pay day at Social Services is two weeks off. I have one or two acquaintances (parents of classmates of my son, that kind of thing) who might qualify.

Yet another way these grand new times we live in now aren't really all that much better than the bad old days when we were kids.
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New Thanks.. illuminating.
Wondered about matters even in relatively-'progressive' Finland and environs.
Repeatedly such tales underscore the (many) deficiencies in Econ (the whole humongous topic) as are usually compounded by less than ept Pols.

Whatever the -ism applied to Finance (and its oft scurvy acolytes in their Veyrons) the brokenness is clearly worldwide. And yet.. and yet, there seems no serious, (worldwide confab to a purpose!) of denoting the commonalities of Murican Vulture-ism and the Euro clones.

But it's killing not just the dis-USA, IMnsHO. Fix that soon or ... none of the other shit gets done. Anywhere.
     Word of the day: Precariat. - (Another Scott) - (10)
         That's a new one for me. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Ooh! a new portmanteau to go with my sackcloth.. - (Ashton)
         sorry that is a fail - (boxley) - (5)
             This is what's so frustrating - (drook)
             Second Drook - (Ashton) - (3)
                 you are overthinking it - (boxley) - (2)
                     So you choose to be... - (folkert)
                     Precisely! ... as you *were*, THERE.. as opposed to.. ... ... (yet more evasion?) {sigh} - (Ashton)
         Not at all new to me. WP def seems to leave out a vital piece, though. - (CRConrad) - (1)
             Thanks.. illuminating. - (Ashton)

You can, at the YMCA.
51 ms