same news here. I have a 802.11b CF card that I can run in my Sharp Zaurus (and using that clumsy jacket, in my iPAQ as well). Here there is activity setting up 802.11b in coffee shops & building foyers & all I need do is turn on, access my email account (these services are being set up my my ISP (also my employer)).

The belief is that 802.11b & the faster 802.11a (I think it is a) will negate a lot of the appeal of 3G.

But if the average consumer thinks it is fantastic to use their phone to send pics or video clips to each other (here we have the Sony/Ericsson T68i phone that has such a camera that attaches to it), then I guess there could be heavy demand vs 802.11x which may better suit business people. The T68i works on GPRS (2.5G) - I have the T68 (prior model) got it for its bluetooth & GPRS connections.

Cheers

Doug

PS at a recent demo at MS an MS guy showed us a PDA/Phone that was same size as a iPAQ - made by the same mfg that builds iPAQ for Compaq, runs Win2002. A bit heavier than an iPAQ but very sleek & slick looking. Supposed to be released at end of this month - sports a GSM module & dual band.