IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New World wildlife populations halved in 40 years - report
A hard thing to 'average'.

The global loss of species is even worse than previously thought, the London Zoological Society (ZSL) says in its new Living Planet Index.

The report suggests populations have halved in 40 years, as new methodology gives more alarming results than in a report two years ago.

The report says populations of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and fish have declined by an average of 52%.

Populations of freshwater species have suffered an even worse fall of 76%.

Severe impact
Compiling a global average of species decline involves tricky statistics, often comparing disparate data sets.

Seen from space, man-made stuff is all grey. It's dead, Jim.
New Yea, but there are still too many raccoons . . .
. . here in the "Urban Forest".
New To their credit (they're still wanton-killing creeps)
they've evolved (mentally) sufficiently to apply their acrobatic talents within our artificial environment, figuring out lots of latches, high-wire entries into attics etc.
Were they not such murdering bastards, they's be admirable, no? (kInda like a %certain of bipeds, one might say.)

At least (too) while we can't grok why they're murderous--they don't claim they're doin it for Jeebus or Alllah; does that merit any points?
New Think cats can take them as Next Dominant Species?
--

Drew
New Nope.
The cats on our deck defer to Mother Raccoon as she raids their food bowls.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Not a chance.
Raccoons are bigger, meaner, have much better manipulative skills and at least rudimentary organizational skills.

The only advantage cats have (if separated from the humans they depend upon) is that they can run faster.
New Plus they're already bipedal.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Perfect timing, that!
Just last night, as my motion detector beeped I saw just a flash of one scooting by in that Mode; for a few sec I thought it something New! on the scene. Took a bit to see that This raccoon was goin tip-toes. I note that the eyes seem more slanted--a hybrid in the mix?

Most of the ones here do the quadra-hump-bump (they have big butts, which is why they can't jump very well: some set-up feeding stations for ferals which require a modest leap for a cat/Rocky Raccoon can't follow.) My gravel-throwing countermeasures seem to have reduced their forays--especially when I score one hard on that big butt: have had a week or more of their absence.
I also don't see them ever in daylight, usually deep dusk or later.
New Around here, they're usually a little before dawn.
New Heh
"Too many" is a problem that will solve itself when the urban forest ceases to provide sufficient food for the raccoon population or a predator appears that enjoys the taste of tender raccoon fillets.

There probably aren't enough, if they're still multiplying.

Stop complaining and start predating!
     World wildlife populations halved in 40 years - report - (Ashton) - (9)
         Yea, but there are still too many raccoons . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (8)
             To their credit (they're still wanton-killing creeps) - (Ashton) - (6)
                 Think cats can take them as Next Dominant Species? -NT - (drook) - (5)
                     Nope. - (malraux)
                     Not a chance. - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                         Plus they're already bipedal. - (malraux) - (2)
                             Perfect timing, that! - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 Around here, they're usually a little before dawn. -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
             Heh - (pwhysall)

Hey, it's a hard day's work in the pits of Minas Morgul, orking cows all day...
230 ms