IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New As a former Adjunct, I sympathize.
Indiana's statewide Ivy Tech community college system has a target of no more than 30% full-time faculty. The tragedy is that they achieve it. The local university also makes extensive use of adjunct faculty and the pay and benefits there are roughly the same as the community college. That article is not hyperbole.

I'll echo others in the article with regard to "quality." I was recently offered $1,200 to teach a three credit hour survey of calculus course. That pay is, just as the article states, for the hours in front of the class only (and they *love* to tell you, "you'll make $25.00 per hour because you have an advanced degree in the subject.") But, you're required to have at least 3 office hours per week (48 hours for the term minimum), but you do not get paid for those hours. So, you're immediately dropped to no more than $12.50 per hour for the hours you spend on campus. Curriculum prep? Exam prep? Lecture prep? Additional time spent helping students? Grading papers? Submitting required administrative documents? That's all gratis, baby. So what kind of people do this? The kind that really want to teach.

The attitude among colleges and universities is that most adjunct faculty have full-time jobs and are just teaching for fun, so why should they be paid anything? This is just extra pocket money for them. The trouble is that while you might get away with that attitude if 98% or better of your courses were taught by full-time faculty, that is not where we are today. Locally, courses are constantly being cancelled because "we couldn't find anyone to teach this course." Well, no, you can't. Not for the price you're willing to pay.
New Hell, the unvarnished facts are hyperbolic!
In retrospect, what I find most incomprehensible is the sheer magnitude of magnitude=Clusterfuck, serious items on any obvious list.
It's as-if the entire country has been breathing (drinking?) some substance from at least *W2K onwards.. Ecstasy? say. Seriously:
* Remember: Clinton left a $$SURPLUS (however somewhat fudged..)

How Can it come about that, almost simultaneously:
The USSC demonstrates a clear political bias, even sElecting a cipher to Rule (unprecedented).
One of the two-pol-parties with 2 Right wings goes all 1940s racist and decides -simply- to cease doing their Elected! jobs: cold.
We invade two countries (it comes out recently that the key 'eyewitness' cited at UN, 'Curveball' has admitted that his "eyewitness" testimony re Saddam's chem. weapons was a tissue of lies.
'Finance' has proven it is identical to the Mafia as Wall St. demonstrates it is corrupt as Finance.
Education (as above) has devolved to exactly 3rd-world status, from tykes unto greed-driven mega-Universities. now quite more biznesses/sports entrepreneurs with a sideline in Edja-kay-shun, sorta.
. and [add personal list.]

This is a fucking-astonishing! partial-list of Broken base-pillars of any functioning entity, anywhere.
Sheer-chance would place the probability of say, this many simultaneous utter-Failures--at infinitesimal.

Yet, we see the evidence ratified, compounded daily. A scrupulously factual chronicle of events since 1-1-2000, written as a play, novel, sci-fi extravaganza would fail on first Review by the usual.
I deem this-all, not merely irregularly-Irregular but simply, surreal.

As we race exponentially to The Bottom: I have no idea how such an acceleration-rate Down could 'naturally' occur. And if not 'naturally': What? then.
We Are in that territory of The Illuminati and other paranoid fantasies as have always attracted Muricans. Un-natural is the correct word IMnsHO for such a confluence of unRavelling Events,

We see, from the obvious 'character' of hundreds of the Rulers, revealed on the various media that, it is not at all unthinkable that Elite aka Rich is often synonymous with greed-driven sociopathic personality: capable of contriving.the Final-looting of a now aged and broke(n) Golden Goose: and imagining. via sheer hubris that they can take a few metric tons of Gold and play out a fantasy-liff on some plot of land--surrounded by the unter-mensh all around.

Got a better idea?
New Very nice summary.
They say if you live long enough, you'll form opinions you never thought you could possibly stomach. But as I look around today, I'm increasingly of the view that the Reagan Reich could fairly be looked upon as an age of enlightened progressivity when contrasted with today.

There is no doubt Ronnie Rayguns started this mess, but there were still some remnants of sanity during the time he occupied the WH. Bush the Father, followed by Bush Light, followed by Bush the Brain Damaged, followed by two more terms of Bush of Another Color have brought us the utterly dismal result you described.
New You haven't been paying attention
Sheer-chance would place the probability of say, this many simultaneous utter-Failures--at infinitesimal.

Remember when Wall Street broke the stock market? The all agreed to not notice that the CDOs they were building were collections of highly-correlated securities. ie: If "the housing market" saw a decline, then everything in your CDO took a shit at the same time.

It's obviously the same with public institutions, since they're all run by the same people.
--

Drew
New (a $-short, day late..) LRPeeDee sez: My, we are a grumpy bastard
In all humility (er, attainable) I Was paying Attention; the degree of internal disingenuousness could hardly be Missed, you know.
Language Murder--flagged way-back-- escalated from the occasional hyperbole to become: the entire vocab. of pop-pols everywhen.

I Got the duplicitous-Quality, but who could extrapolate such an exponential Growth-rate, hmmm?
(Well except maybe ... Veblen, H. L. Mencken, Mark Twain, Generation of Vipers Philip Wylie,
Ben Franklin {somewhat} and our recent Super-stars from George C. {Stuff!-Mensch} ... onwards to yesterday..)

(Guess I though they'd exaggerated-the-slope?) Mea culpa: WRONG.
They were talkin geometric and We Got: EXPONENTIAL.
I think they thought there remained some Hope of Repairs...?
I think: We Die, messily with caterwauling, Why Me? Cthulhu self-pity and the gnashing of teeth + Guns God & Greed on a new level.

As I embark on a fine Train-ride Mañana en la mañana..
I shall be sure to order the lobster with a decent Chablis, obeying the koan: Living Well IS the best revenge.
Ta, y'all. ;^>
     Professors on food stamps (..speaking of Money, Financials and Economics) - (Ashton) - (5)
         As a former Adjunct, I sympathize. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
             Hell, the unvarnished facts are hyperbolic! - (Ashton) - (3)
                 Very nice summary. - (mmoffitt)
                 You haven't been paying attention - (drook) - (1)
                     (a $-short, day late..) LRPeeDee sez: My, we are a grumpy bastard - (Ashton)

All Your Basic Auth... no, I just can't do it...
40 ms