IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I thought the reason to use FAT
was for recovery purposes...?

Back when keeping windows running was part of my job, I had an NT install on NTFS go south on me, and I ended up having to purchase a boot diskette that allowed me to copy replacement files to the OS partition... I take it this is no longer necessary? Does 2000 provide the ability to create a boot disk? Is the CD bootable and does it have recovery utilities (that don't simply overwrite the whole disk) now?

I really don't know - On all my machines, I only have 3 windows partitions. 1 is on my main server; laziness is the only reason it's still there, 1 for Everquest - I didn't feel like laying out cash for 2000 just for 1 game, and a 2000 partition on a laptop (running Linux most of the time) - there to support the copy of MS-office that also came on the laptop - so I no longer consider myself an authority about such things...

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New Windows NT/2000 Server + FAT == Bad Juju
You never need to do that.

If you need to dink around with your installation, you plonk another copy of NT on the box - ideally on a different drive - and then boot that up to do yer doin's. This has the added advantage of allowing you to run with a filesystem that isn't glass-fragile and does actually support security.

Anyone who kept their servers on FAT for "recovery purposes" didn't have a decent recovery plan in place. Hacking around in %SYSTEMROOT%\\Drivers with a DOS boot disk on a production server indicates a lack of forethought and specifically a lack of backups.

The Windows 2000 Server CD is bootable and has a facility called the Recovery Console which allows you to perform maintenance on your installation.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Dual Boot ext2/fat32
I run my laptop with Win2k and (currently) Debian Sid (PIII-800,256m RAM). I purposely used fat32 with Win2k and ext2 with Linux for interoperablity. It's quite easy to mount fat32 (as vfat) R/W from Linux and ext2 as R/W from Win2K so no matter what OS I'm using, I can still access all my data files (mp3s being the most oft).

This machine isn't a server though, and, of course, YMMV :-)
-----
Steve
New I'll go with that 1/2 way.
NT was an unstable POS. It DID crash, and you advocate having a secondary OS partition, just to replace files on the primary OS partition?

It screwed up about the same amount of the time whether it was on FAT or NTFS, IIRC - I saw no advantage to running the OS on NTFS. Apps, data, that's another story..

I assume, O Professional Shill (*grin*), that since your 'decent recovery plan' seems to include redundant OS partitions on every machine, that you DIDN'T just RRR for what might be a trivial problem (if the OS partition was accessible)? I'm curious about the licensing involved, too - does MS not care about two MS-OS partitions on the same box?

And - don't worry. Back in those days, I was in charge, and I did not like using Windows for any server tasks (we did have some development servers - it was a software house). We used the AS/400 for DB, and OS/2 for file & print...

I've heard about the Recovery Console for 2000, but I don't know what, exactly, it can do - as my laptop hasn't needed it, yet (only 3 OS crashes so far, all fine on reboot).

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New You need to click that shill link :)

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New *grin*

Imric's Tips for Living
     What's going on here? Windows 2000 server - (Andrew Grygus) - (28)
         Maybe a mangled FAT. - (Another Scott)
         Save yourself the time and effort - (pwhysall) - (6)
             I thought the reason to use FAT - (imric) - (5)
                 Windows NT/2000 Server + FAT == Bad Juju - (pwhysall) - (4)
                     Dual Boot ext2/fat32 - (Steve Lowe)
                     I'll go with that 1/2 way. - (imric) - (2)
                         You need to click that shill link :) -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             *grin* -NT - (imric)
         Could it be... that we are talking about - (folkert)
         Well, FAT isn't even part of the problem - (Andrew Grygus) - (18)
             Couple of thoughts - (Silverlock) - (16)
                 Been through that one - (Andrew Grygus) - (15)
                     Yup, it was still in there - in fact . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (14)
                         Every machine? - (Silverlock) - (13)
                             Yup, every single one. - (Andrew Grygus) - (12)
                                 What are you using... - (kmself) - (9)
                                     We use Command . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (8)
                                         Once again, Andrew supplies a new sig. -NT - (Silverlock)
                                         Thanks. I used Symantec's FixKlez.com... - (kmself) - (6)
                                             Any can be vulnerable if . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                                                 And they call me crazy for *STILL* using OS/2...... -NT - (n3jja) - (4)
                                                     At last count . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                                         Interesting.... - (n3jja) - (2)
                                                             Out of curiosity . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                                 Ah... - (n3jja)
                                 How can I tell? - (drewk) - (1)
                                     The only way to tell for sure . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             Can you... - (pwhysall)

Disputants more fiendish than the Great Hyperlobic Omni-Cognate Neutron Wrangler of Ciceronicus Twelve, the Magic and Indefatigable!
123 ms