IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New And it's not just the sea floor.
Wa Po sayeth:
There’s now a substantiated theory about what created the crater. And the news isn’t so good.

It may be methane gas, released by the thawing of frozen ground. According to a recent Nature article, “air near the bottom of the crater contained unusually high concentrations of methane — up to 9.6% — in tests conducted at the site on 16 July, says Andrei Plekhanov, an archaeologist at the Scientific Centre of Arctic Studies in Salekhard, Russia. Plekhanov, who led an expedition to the crater, says that air normally contains just 0.000179% methane.

The scientist said the methane release may be related to Yamal’s unusually hot summers in 2012 and 2013, which were warmer by an average of 5 degrees Celsius. “As temperatures rose, the researchers suggest, permafrost thawed and collapsed, releasing methane that had been trapped in the icy ground,”

o o o

“Pound for pound, the comparative impact of [methane gas] on climate change is over 20 times greater than [carbon dioxide] over a 100-year period,” reported the Environmental Protection Agency.
When the Hooper Bay, AK village sinks below sea level, Box will have an aha moment.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New No he won't.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New erosion will get it before seal levels will :-)
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New Seal Levels?
I knew that ban on eating sea mammals would have unexpected consequences.
     It's here: 'Vast methane plumes escaping from the seafloor" discovered in Siberian Arctic Sea' - (Ashton) - (9)
         Given that methane is much worse than carbon dioxide... - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             There's even a query about That! Nothing in this is simple.. too many equations. - (Ashton) - (1)
                 Here some comments on methane/carbon dioxide effects. - (a6l6e6x)
         You want more??? (Oliver Twist) - (dmcarls) - (1)
             Indeed; seems that a Century of n-$quadrillion invested in a concept - (Ashton)
         And it's not just the sea floor. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
             No he won't. -NT - (folkert)
             erosion will get it before seal levels will :-) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 Seal Levels? - (Andrew Grygus)

Looks like a helluva party to me! Begone evil spirits!!
163 ms