IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Thanks. I'll try to listen later.
Ravich's main point, I think, is that schools don't exist in isolation. DC schools have big per-capita funding levels (supposedly over $29k per student per year according to the critics, ~ $10k per student per year according to the school district), but many of the schools are in very poor areas. Schools don't exist in isolation - they exist in their communities, and trying to "fix" them by only looking at test scores or school funding levels isn't going to work.

The 3 countries mentioned don't have the same issues that inner-city US schools have (though I'm sure they have issues of their own).

Great teachers make a huge difference in individual and sometimes class-level cases. But they can't fix a broken system on their own. And we shouldn't expect them to nr punish them if they don't (as some seemingly insist that we do).

FWIW.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Ahh, good distinction
Test scores don't correlate with school funding very well. But they *do* correlate with the income of the student population.
--

Drew
New Bingo on that correlation.
I do not think that the massive consequences of the dis-USA's premeditatedly-enforced acceptance of a perpetual Sub-class ... are remotely comprehended.
Certainly, in public-space, every such discussion immediately aligns-by inculcated Ideology--the Worst-kind of framing!
(And that habit too is embedded in most, from kid Competition-games vastly outnumbering any Cooperation-games.)

Maybe that's a major ingredient of our incorrigibility?
(But even if that were true: who Cares..? enough to raise the Issue until ... it is really Addressed?)
     Education.. that's Science innit? (or at least means to employ its methods.) - (Ashton) - (12)
         Diane Ravitch seems sensible. - (Another Scott) - (11)
             "Common Core" is like "Common Sense" - (folkert) - (5)
                 I'm bi-polar about it. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                     Common Core mostly isn't taught right - (drook) - (2)
                         Math is hard to teach well. Physics is worse. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             That would be the "wrong way l to do Common Core - (drook)
                     AmericanRadioWorks: Greater Expectations - (Another Scott)
             Funding isn't the entire story. - (malraux) - (4)
                 But it seems to be *most* of the story - (drook)
                 Thanks. I'll try to listen later. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     Ahh, good distinction - (drook) - (1)
                         Bingo on that correlation. - (Ashton)

What exactly do you expect it to do, halt and catch fire?
38 ms