IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New "Common Core" is like "Common Sense"
Full of shit.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New I'm bi-polar about it.
"Common Core" was a big part of my college education. It made sense there.

There are good ways to do it, and bad ways. It's easy to assume that the proposals being pushed now for public schools are the bad ways.

:-(

Cheers,
Scott.
New Math is hard to teach well. Physics is worse.
So much of math builds on what came before. It's very, very easy to fall behind and become lost in later years - I think that's part of why so many students drop it when they can. And, like anything, if one doesn't use it, one forgets.

Finding ways to keep students using what they learned before is important. Dividing math into segregated boxes of Algebra, Trig, Pre-Calculus, etc. doesn't help, I don't think.

Continuing "math in everyday life" type lessons is important. Compound interest; figuring out how much grass seed you need for your lawn; figuring out how many tiles are needed in a bathroom remodel; figuring out payback time for putting in a low-flow toilet; figuring out how to scale up recipes to 47 people; figuring out the commission costs on an investment; etc. Everyone over 18 should be able to do those things cold. Figuring out the volume enclosed by a hyperbolic parabaloid intersecting with a plane - not so much.

I'll have to return to the Times story later. The early part about the kids "working together to figure things out on their own" threw up red flags for me. My first physics class in high school was like that part of the year (we had about 20 substitute teachers that year...). It was extremely frustrating because the teacher didn't seem to understand the proper way to get the answer himself. We'd all try to puzzle out the answers, he'd declare what the correct answer was, and that was that. Not a good way to build a clear foundation if the instructor doesn't know the subject matter cold and be able to explain why (and too many math and science teachers don't).

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New That would be the "wrong way l to do Common Core
The example in the article was multiplication. Instead of rote recitation of times tables, they want the kids to understand that "five times three" means counting to five three times. But poorly trained teachers let kids try to work it out, skipping the part where you *do* have to eventually get to the right answer.
--

Drew
New AmericanRadioWorks: Greater Expectations
http://www.americanradioworks.org/documentaries/greater-expectations/ (53 min)

August 2014

The United States is in the midst of a huge education reform. The Common Core State Standards are a new set of expectations for what students should learn each year in school. The standards have been adopted by most states, though there’s plenty of controversy about them among activists and politicians. Most teachers, however, actually like the standards.

This American RadioWorks documentary takes listeners into classrooms to explore how the standards are changing teaching and learning. Teachers say Common Core has the potential to help kids who are behind, as well as those who are ahead. But many teachers have big concerns about the Common Core tests. The new, tougher tests are meant to let the nation know how kids are really doing in school — but bad scores could get teachers and principals fired.

I just heard it rebroadcast on my local NPR station. It's well-worth a listen.

Additional information, transcript, etc., are on the web page.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Education.. that's Science innit? (or at least means to employ its methods.) - (Ashton) - (12)
         Diane Ravitch seems sensible. - (Another Scott) - (11)
             "Common Core" is like "Common Sense" - (folkert) - (5)
                 I'm bi-polar about it. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                     Common Core mostly isn't taught right - (drook) - (2)
                         Math is hard to teach well. Physics is worse. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             That would be the "wrong way l to do Common Core - (drook)
                     AmericanRadioWorks: Greater Expectations - (Another Scott)
             Funding isn't the entire story. - (malraux) - (4)
                 But it seems to be *most* of the story - (drook)
                 Thanks. I'll try to listen later. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     Ahh, good distinction - (drook) - (1)
                         Bingo on that correlation. - (Ashton)

I strongly recommend 72 as a good default.
80 ms