IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I'm looking at paperbook storage, too
since I happen to have quite a few, especially mysteries, and like to re-read them occasionally. And, I have way too much stuff in my apartment (although my throw away plan has started, so it's getting a bit better -- I'm helping out our local recycling place).

And, of course, the paperbooks don't fit well on any normal bookshelf. I'm thinking more along the lines of a lazy-susan type arrangement. Or possibly something with drawers, if the drawers were the right height so I can stack the books spine up.

I may look at building something in wood or plastic -- after all, I've got a CAD system I'm learning (Pro/Desktop, excellent deal for free -- 3-D design, assemblies, simple kinematics supposedly, and more) so it might be a good learning project. And, I have a friend who has access to a CNC router.... so I may end up with custom plastic storage units.

BTW, part of my sort term solution was to ship a lot of them off to friends and relatives. I'll get them back eventually -- and by then I'll be ready to re-read them and maybe I'll have a good place to store them.

Tony

Tony
New Good luck
Drawers are probably not going to work. First of all because they are usually the wrong dimensions, and secondly because they are probably not designed for that much weight. (I had a couple of dresser drawers full of them, and the drawers would *not* stay shut.)

What I settled on is abusing a kitchen cabinet with movable shelves of size 22x24. I put 2 boxes on each shelf of dimensions 10.5x21.5x3.25, each of which holds 30 inches of standard paperbacks. (Yeah, 3 boxes across would hold slightly more, but meant a lot more boxes.) Add some extra shelves and you get a lot of books into a free-standing unit.

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
     Life is busy... - (ben_tilly) - (12)
         Well, congratulations to the wife! - (a6l6e6x) - (10)
             I *might* be able to avoid building it - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                 Prefab well-made boxes.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                     What my time is worth... - (ben_tilly)
                 Ouch. You just reminded me of something. - (mmoffitt)
                 You might want to look into... - (bepatient) - (3)
                     Absolutely the wrong idea - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                         I'm looking at paperbook storage, too - (tonytib) - (1)
                             Good luck - (ben_tilly)
                 Re: commute - not bad on time. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     Hey, I didn't even change neighbourhoods - (ben_tilly)
         I understand the feeling too many paperbacks - (boxley)

So I pulled into a Shell station. They said I'd blown a seal. I said, "Fix the damn thing and leave my private life out of it, OK, pal??"
41 ms