IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Prefab well-made boxes..
Another possibility for reading spines of Lots of PBs; The "under-bed" one-high (rarely high enough for two-high?) wide and deep solid box. (Sometimes even teeny ball-"wheels" can fit on bottom - if carpet permits)

Of course too, many folks already have plans for blanket- other storage there, but seems to me it's a natural for something the size of PBs. If forced to an inconvenient box-size: Labels like Aa - Az(imov), etc. can sometimes suffice for the lack of instant display of all the titles.

If floors are bare, and you use wood-boxes - don't forget those Teflon (or T-like) slider thingies for heavy objects: 4 of those on a Big underbed wood box full of 100# ... might slide out pretty effortlessly.

Lastly, you can hunt for local (cardboard) boxmakers and specify the "burst strength" etc. (lots of lectronic UPS experience here) and get nice clean and serviceable boxes close to a specified shape. What's your time worth, Oh non-handyman?

Ashton
New What my time is worth...
about 4 boxes an hour once I get going. :-)

The final dimensions that I chose were 21.5 x 10.5 x 3.5. Most of those tolerances are pretty tight if it is going to work at all. Total time spent, including locating materials is about 4 hours. Cost about $40, most of which was purchases like a stapler, good metal ruler, and hobbyist knife which I will probably find other uses for in the future. The result is ugly, but functional.

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
     Life is busy... - (ben_tilly) - (12)
         Well, congratulations to the wife! - (a6l6e6x) - (10)
             I *might* be able to avoid building it - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                 Prefab well-made boxes.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                     What my time is worth... - (ben_tilly)
                 Ouch. You just reminded me of something. - (mmoffitt)
                 You might want to look into... - (bepatient) - (3)
                     Absolutely the wrong idea - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                         I'm looking at paperbook storage, too - (tonytib) - (1)
                             Good luck - (ben_tilly)
                 Re: commute - not bad on time. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     Hey, I didn't even change neighbourhoods - (ben_tilly)
         I understand the feeling too many paperbacks - (boxley)

4 out of 5 of you would be spending most of your time in night court.
40 ms