IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New IWeThey - -
On the market. Anyone got any leads? Project management and/or PHP/web development.
--

Drew
New :-( Best of luck!
New Lots of PHP in Detroit
But that probably doesn't help you.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New We're willing to relocate, but I don't know about Detroit
--

Drew
New It's a city in Michigan, but that's not important right now.
New Have I told you recently that you're funny? No? There's a reason for that.
--

Drew
New rofl.
New You don't have to live in the city to work there
I live near apple orchards and farms but work in the city.
Regards,
-scott
New The suburbs are beautiful.
I spent a great week up there years ago, camping at a KOA-like place, seeing the Ford Museum, Dearborn, Ann Arbor, etc., etc. It's a hidden gem.

But, look before you leap. :-(

Cheers,
Scott.
New Plus the Joe. Don't forget about the Joe.
Seriously, drook, keeping cringers fossed for you.
New Yes, lots of people equate the area with Detroit proper.
They're vastly different. When I worked in Troy or Farmington Hills, I never saw anything much resembling an urban area, unless you count Royal Oak.
Regards,
-scott
New Bummer.
Good luck!
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New That sucks
Sorry to hear. :(

It's a good market, though. I'm sure you'll find something sooner than later.
-Mike

@MikeVitale42

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Yeah, I'm hearing promising noises from the recruiters
Looks like a good chance I'll end up with something better than I had.
--

Drew
New Re: Yeah, I'm hearing promising noises from the recruiters
Yep, that's entirely possible.

I left ThoughtWorks back in March to strike out on my own. I was on the beach (for the first time in my almost 2 years there) and had something fall into my lap. So I turned my side gig into my full-time gig. Not sure if you could do something like that, or if you'll have to go back to working for someone else...

Either way, best of luck. I wouldn't worry too much. It's a good market for good candidates like yourself. :)
-Mike

@MikeVitale42

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New got any management you can fake?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New ?
I have actual management, so I'm not sure what you mean.
--

Drew
New looking for a team lead
sent email to cookmumble.com
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New Groovy, checking
--

Drew
New bennies, still waiting for the job description
We offer a wellness program, and we encourage employees to take advantage of fitness facilities and to participate in numerous onsite fitness classes. Our comprehensive benefits package includes the basics¿health, dental, and vision insurance¿and benefits that extend beyond the basics¿nine paid holidays including a birthday holiday, a 401(k) salary savings plan with a company match.
New Well, damn!
Good luck finding another gig!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”

-- Isaac Asimov
New Good luck
I didn't wish to relocate so the only work I can find in the Cleveland/Akron area is contract work. I like the place I'm at now, but I don't know how much longer they can keep me. They brought me on as a six month gig and I've been there over a year. They seem to like me but upper management can apparently be dicks. I was supposed to be let go at the end of June but they got me extended for a while longer. I think it's going to keep going like this.
Good luck. You may have it easier since you are younger. Hope so.
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New Not that much younger
Though if I keep the beard short enough to hide the gray, people tend to underestimate.
--

Drew
New It's a benefit, for sure.
I look about 10-15 years younger than I actually am. Sometimes I have the opposite problem of convincing people that I have the experience.
Regards,
-scott
New send a resume please, boss is interested
New Sent
--

Drew
New Damn.. damn..
Shit, even I 'can tell' technomologically, that you Know your Shit, likely don't piss-off the proles and the wannabe-corner-office yahoos and all that stuff..
It's fucking-Disturbing ... amidst all the other daily-chaos when some corp-lackey ... well, you know.

Hope that you're quite-Right that: you're more likely to land a moah-bettah spot than this one.. :-)
(Sure be nice if.. Cooking Your Gramma could be a next bill-paying lateral-arabesque, eh?)
New Yeah, working on a real business plan for that
--

Drew
New I love a feeding frenzy
One position, two different recruiters quoted salary range, and they're off by nearly 20% from each other.
--

Drew
New But, one doesn't get paid a range.
Do thew ranges even overlap?

But otherwise, good to hear!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”

-- Isaac Asimov
New "They're looking to pay in the $x range." Not actually a "range"
But I'm going to sit on my inner pedant as long as the normals have something I want.
--

Drew
New Was pondering your situation, (fwiw)
from having an idea of your fortés, lo these many years.. yourself (here) freed-from any Corp-cant whatsoever (except to mock the worst of it--as any sane one Would!)

Methinks that your talent for parsing loaded/ambiguous-sentences--and following through--where it matters: places you in good stead for Managing some group of talented Prima Donnas (the egotism of all-yout) whose linguistic skillz aren't nearly as functional as their logic-prestidigitations:
(this I merely presume to be a source of lots of wasted-thus-resented, "Meeting at 11:00-ses" as seem to be rote-protocols in most of Corporate-land.)
That deduced: merely by many verbatim descriptions in these parts--they add-up, y'know?

Concluding from that-all, that: the main annoyance (to folks here reporting) of 'useless-meetings': derives from their boring, scripted? sameness and also from the oft-social-cluelessness
of their er, Moderators?
[Any sense, thus far?]

Ergo: the consensus of the little-[i's'] here: is that you likely know about the boredom, also about antidotes--all as involve language, not just some content needing to be spread around to fellow toilers in the Boolean salt-mines. You could translate to 'fewer-words' the overblown circumnavigations of the less-ept/also add a few to the habitual *nix-brevity folk: to Good Effect overall.
All you'd have to do to land such a Position is (maybe; just a w.a.g. here, of course) work-up a sample dialogue of how You.. would keep an 'information-transfer' Meeting on-keel, on-schedule thus successfully-Overseen ... at the end. (Were boring, resented-meetings My bugaboo? while seeking Better from a new-hire: that is how I'd interview anyone (I hope!))

Yes, my comments re, a Corporate enviro of which I possess only hear-say 'evidence' is surely presumptuous [but, w.t.f.--I'm humble--just ask me.] *But I've had 'a crew' to 'manage' too, and I doubt that those interactions are much different in I.T.

" When I was elected Dictator, my Boss fairly-{chortled}, Well, Ash, how's it feel to be a Management-functionary? ... Eh? (I think I said.. Touché) I was, natch, the local-"Revolutionary" via his lights.

Anyway.. Luck, in the foray.

The audacity of competence.
--a Pharyngula reply.
New Meetings can fail for so many reasons
But yes, a weak moderator exacerbates pretty much all of those.
--

Drew
     IWeThey - - - (drook) - (32)
         :-( Best of luck! -NT - (Another Scott)
         Lots of PHP in Detroit - (malraux) - (8)
             We're willing to relocate, but I don't know about Detroit -NT - (drook) - (7)
                 It's a city in Michigan, but that's not important right now. -NT - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     Have I told you recently that you're funny? No? There's a reason for that. -NT - (drook) - (1)
                         rofl. -NT - (Another Scott)
                 You don't have to live in the city to work there - (malraux)
                 The suburbs are beautiful. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     Plus the Joe. Don't forget about the Joe. - (mmoffitt)
                     Yes, lots of people equate the area with Detroit proper. - (malraux)
         Bummer. - (folkert)
         That sucks - (mvitale) - (2)
             Yeah, I'm hearing promising noises from the recruiters - (drook) - (1)
                 Re: Yeah, I'm hearing promising noises from the recruiters - (mvitale)
         got any management you can fake? -NT - (boxley) - (4)
             ? - (drook) - (3)
                 looking for a team lead - (boxley) - (2)
                     Groovy, checking -NT - (drook) - (1)
                         bennies, still waiting for the job description - (boxley)
         Well, damn! - (a6l6e6x)
         Good luck - (hnick) - (2)
             Not that much younger - (drook) - (1)
                 It's a benefit, for sure. - (malraux)
         send a resume please, boss is interested -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             Sent -NT - (drook)
         Damn.. damn.. - (Ashton) - (1)
             Yeah, working on a real business plan for that -NT - (drook)
         I love a feeding frenzy - (drook) - (4)
             But, one doesn't get paid a range. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                 "They're looking to pay in the $x range." Not actually a "range" - (drook) - (2)
                     Was pondering your situation, (fwiw) - (Ashton) - (1)
                         Meetings can fail for so many reasons - (drook)

Get the ball in the pocket!
200 ms