IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New But seriously, box...
I long ago understood that generalizations about Oakland are most of them pretty useless. I've lived here for going on forty years. It's a city of about 400,000, and it breaks down into twenty-five to thirty distinct neighborhoods many of which haven't a lot in common. For many years I lived in "The Rockridge" (and lordie, I'd love to go back, but a realtor with a flaming sword bars my way), which is today an overwhelmingly white, prosperous, forty-plus demographic. Since late in the last century I've lived at the northwestern end of Lake Merritt in a rapidly gentrifying but still far more demographically heterogeneous part of town. At the other end of the lake we have "International Avenue," formerly "East Fourteenth Street," which was rechristened earlier in the century in the unrealistic hope that people would cease associating the area with drive-by shootings. The locals did not cooperate. If just a few areas are taken out of the mix, the rest of Oakland does not look anything like so grim when the stats are crunched.

Nevertheless, I go to and fro in my highly diverse neighborhood without much concern as to what goes on to the southeast and the west in My Fair City. I'm frankly indifferent to them-on-them crime, as long as real people are left alone. Yes, I've had the barrel of a TEC-9 placed against my left occipital lobe, and this might have turned out badly, but I'd been a resident here for over thirty years before that happened.

As to the stump broke Mississippians, I wish them all the best and look forward to never setting foot in the state.

cordially,
New we both know generalities dont wash with reality
from a recent post on the fb
http://cjsseafoodhouse.com/ is the best seafood on the mississippi coast. MJ had flounder, nothing was left. They do not shuck the live oyster until the order is made. watched the oysters on the firegrill, cooked under steam, then showered with something that caused the oysters to flame then the fire was put out by spices. Prices are extremely reasonable. Since I will be moving here soon it will be the place for my night out!
Dont forget to wave when you fly over :-)
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New tell me that Mississippi weather in reality
...is at odds with my distant impression. I won't believe you.

I'd never elect to live in that cultural/political/climatic hellhole. It's better in California. But don't tell anyone.

cordially,
New the only place in cali that I would even think of living
is grass valley or a small town on the east side of the sierras. Cultural? http://themaryc.org/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_Springs,_Mississippi gotta avoid the occational storm surge, but 1969 and 2005 they dont happen all that often. Political? ya got me on that one. Race relations are decent. Mixed marriages don't raise eyebrows here, unlike Ohio, North Dakota, Minnesota and Alaska. The coast is not the interior, completely different.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New Re: the only place in cali that I would even think of living
I haven't been to the Mississippi coast since 1979, but I live in a smallish California beach town. One pays a premium to live here but it is one I am willing to pay.

I have been to Grass Valley. It is pleasant enough in the summer. The 10" annual winter snowfall exceeds my local experience by about 9.99" and I prefer it that way. The overwhelming whiteness and political conservatism of the area makes it a non-starter for me as a potential place of residence.
     111th dimensional chess - (rcareaga) - (7)
         Re: 111th dimensional chess - (gcareaga)
         Chernobyl is fine for short visits - (boxley) - (5)
             But seriously, box... - (rcareaga) - (4)
                 we both know generalities dont wash with reality - (boxley) - (3)
                     tell me that Mississippi weather in reality - (rcareaga) - (2)
                         the only place in cali that I would even think of living - (boxley) - (1)
                             Re: the only place in cali that I would even think of living - (gcareaga)

Tasty little nuggets of alien technology...
58 ms