IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I dunno.
I've always thought the association between electricity, magnetism, and the 'supernatural' is there because to most people, electricity and magnetism are 'magic'...

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
Expand Edited by imric May 17, 2002, 02:51:29 PM EDT
Expand Edited by imric May 17, 2002, 02:52:10 PM EDT
New Not this guy
The investigator for this segment was the guy who sold Fox on the idea of doing the show: Michael Shermer, author of "Why People Believe Wierd Things" and "How We Believe" and one of the top guys in the [link|http://www.skeptic.com|Skeptics Society]. He is like [link|http://www.randi.org/|James Randi]: a professional debunker. If he said he "felt" something, he did.
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New Thou sayest
And re the above 'experiment' - I'm biased: I've spent decades around magnetic, electrical fields, DC and AC from VLF on up. At one point I had my head very near the pole-tips of the electron synchrotron (a mere 340 MeV thing). Between the poles was a 15 KG (Kilo Gauss) peak-field and, near as I could get was flux leakage after saturation, of ~ 9 KG. I saw "sparks".. flashes which coincided with the 6 ppm rep rate of the pulsed field. No apparitions nor intimations of immortality.

Ditto standing inside a Cockroft-Walton ion source PS, elevated to 480KV-DC above ground (now there - the alloy shell would have been a decent electrostatic shield). Been near to the magnet leads passing 8000 amps at 16 KV for a large accelerator's main guide field.. Etc. Etc.

Maybe I'm not a sensitive. The above sounds a lot like some Tee Vee program of several years ago which featured Hollywood spec. effects and purported to "ask questions" about the "unexplained". Brain resists remembering what this series was called - it sucked.

CS Lewis - much more sophisticated dabbling.. Gotta get around to doing a review of the trilogy I'm about to finish.

Ashton

PS
The Lab Director reported on similar "sparklies", upon having a handful of [very carefully regulated!] high energy heavy ions run through his macula / retina, in an effort to correlate with what some astronauts reported.. RHIP = why he got to play.
     New element - (imric) - (6)
         I've seen something to suggest this - (drewk) - (3)
             I dunno. - (imric) - (2)
                 Not this guy - (drewk)
                 Thou sayest - (Ashton)
         Sounds like junk science to me.. - (Ashton)
         One study Mcgill comes to mind - (boxley)

The third one burned down, fell over, and then sank into the swamp.
82 ms